#1 Boatman6971

Boatman6971

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRedmond WA
  • Hometown Lake:Lake Sammammish

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

We noticed that the gel coat under the swim step between the exhaust ports was faded real bad and only in that area on our 2014 F22 Tomcat with 101 hours on it. We keep our boat on a lift out of the water so I don't think that is the issue. I had the dealership contact MB to see if that could be covered under warranty and they told us no because they felt that the extra ballast weight was making the engine (upgraded 409) run hotter and therefore that is what caused the gel coat to look like it does now. I have to question that since the exhaust goes into the water first before touching the boat. The boat is running perfect right at about 175 degrees so it is not overheating. I am not a mechanic by any means but if the engine is running at the correct temperature I have a hard time believing that the exhaust is that much hotter. Oh an BTW the boat is rated to hold 14 people, I think that if we usually ride with only 4-6 people, the extra ballast weight is making up for the other 8-10 people.  Please let me know if you are running extra weight in your boat and you have noticed this issue.

Please help so that I know how hard I should press this issue.  I am kind of dissapointed with the answer from MB.

#2 SteeleWake

SteeleWake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

Got a bit heated when I saw your post and probably chimed in too quickly. Given I am still working through my issues, and given I believe Mike and MB will continue to be the stand up folks that inspired me to sell my boat and move over to MB, I should refrain from posting publicly until all is finally resolved. I totally hope that yours was just their initial reaction, and am sure if you continue the conversation (maybe with Mike B directly?) they'll take care of you.

#3 willy

willy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Hometown Lake:Lake Sammamish/Lake Washington

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

What color is your gel coat in that area? I wonder if different colors are more susceptible to this problem vs. others.

#4 MidnightMax

MidnightMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA
  • Hometown Lake:Columbia River

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Does this only happen with the Indmars or have people had issues with the PCM's as well?

I have the PCM 409, run heavy ballast all the time, red gelcoat. have not had any issues

#5 Boatman6971

Boatman6971

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRedmond WA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thank you for the replies.  SteeleWake, that sucks.  Ours looks a lot like you described.  Besides this forum, where have you posted to raise the issue with MB and them standing by their product?  Any thoughts as to where we could go post some negative reviews of this?  I love the boat but this issue is irritating at best. :angry:

Willy,Our boat is black back in that area.  

Do you think putting Sharkskin in that area would protect it?  

#6 willy

willy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSeattle
  • Hometown Lake:Lake Sammamish/Lake Washington

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Wonderful...mine is black as well.

#7 SteeleWake

SteeleWake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Again, still working through my situation so prefer to not share details. I really love my MB and Mike sure seemed like an awesome guy when I met him during our tour...so haven't posted any bad reviews and hadn't even planned on speaking about it. Saw your post though and thought fair to let you know you're not alone.

#8 WakeDirt

WakeDirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Time for a Fae

#9 logan91077

logan91077

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationoregon

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hmmmm... Interesting. I did some miner gelcoat repair on my boat and found out that some spots have very thin gelcoat. I was wet sanding a repair with 1000 grit, very light pressure, and had purple spots showing up in the surrounding area. I wonder if that might have something to do with what you are experiencing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 DFTR Josh

DFTR Josh

Down For The Ride

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

no because they felt that the extra ballast weight was making the engine (upgraded 409) run hotter

I have been trying to warranty some cracks in my fiberglass in the bow and the extra ballast its not covered is what I'm dealing with.   

DFTR Josh, Gone

#11 M1AHD

M1AHD

Advanced Member

• Administrator
  • 813 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Hometown Lake:Lake Pleasant / Bartlett Lake

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

I have the same issue with gel coat under my swim platform.. It has nothing to do with ballast, as it happened to my boat within the first 5hrs of use (cruising around empty for break-in).

white gelcoat btw.

I have heard many many reports of this.. sounds like a known issue and MB is just hiding behind an excuse.

Current Boat  | 2014 F22 Tomcat

Previous Boats | 2012 F21 Tomcat, 2007 Nautique 220, 2005 Nautique 210 

#12 steve142

steve142

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:52 PM

pics??

#13 dobber

dobber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

Is MB saying that if you stayed with the stock motor you wouldn't have this issue?

#14 dbrayton1

dbrayton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX
  • Hometown Lake:Lewisville

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Piling on. Not the same location, but just noticed cracks in mine above the rub rail, starboard side. Mentioned it Saturday to my dealer, awaiting response.

Anyone have similar issues? Should this be under warranty for a 1 month old 2014 model boat? All the marketing talk from MB about the build process, and gelcoat in particular, seems to fall flat when seeing problems like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 oldsmobiledriver

oldsmobiledriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,599 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX
  • Hometown Lake:Tanglewood

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Wow, that sucks.  I'm going to need to eye ball mine....

71 Olds Cutlass, 70 3 door Suburban, 15 X5 Sport pkg, 2012 F21 Tomcat: Surf Machine!!!
http://i260.photobuc...st/IMG_4360.jpg

#16 Boatman6971

Boatman6971

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRedmond WA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

@dobber  Adding the extra ballast is just an excuse for them.  IF the dealership did not reach out to MB before installing my extra ballast they would never have known about it.

@steve142I will put the pics up in a day or so.

@dbrayton1 I have not seen any cracks in our gel coat above the rub rail, or anywhere else on the boat for that matter.

One other thing that they did not do is hook up the heated drivers seat right from the factory.  They installed the seat that contains the heater but there was no power / wires connecting the seat so the heat would come on.

I would be bad mouthing this more in other spots if it were not for the fact that our friend owns the dealership where we bought the boat.  

#17 MidnightMax

MidnightMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts
  • LocationVancouver WA
  • Hometown Lake:Columbia River

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

dbrayton- never seen that before but would think that should definitely be covered under warranty

#18 timayz

timayz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have cracks around the "bow eye"  40 hrs on boat.  I have owned a boat since 2006 so i'm not that new to trailering. I treat this one better than I did my '06 Sea Ray and was crack free for 8 years at 1/4 of the cost.   You boys have me worried I might get flack like I caused the cracks.  I would think the eye area should be pretty darn stout.  Don't see how it could flex to get cracks. 

Ill get it up to the dealer this week. 

#19 KingMatyas

KingMatyas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSnowflake AZ
  • Hometown Lake:Roosevelt Lake Arizona

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

Now I'll be going over my boat...  Usually not a hypochondriac (if you can flex the term to include boat health), but this is getting me worried a bit.

#20 Yellowcat

Yellowcat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

How many of these issues are on the 22, I'm in the crack club as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gel coat, warranty, MB response, ballast, weak response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users