Photo

Ballast on 2014 B52 21

ballast play and plug play n plug wakesurf wake surf bags ballastbags fat sacs fat sacks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 americangirl

americangirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL
  • Hometown Lake:Lewis Smith Lake

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

This is the first surfing boat we've ever had. Before this we had a 1994 Malibu Echelon for slalom skiiing (which the MB is still great for btw), and we got the MB brand new in 2014. This is the first time we're trying to add aftermarket ballast, so we're new to all this and just bear with me! 

So I finally learned to surf without the rope, and I was using only 900 lbs of factory ballast. Now i'm researching and found out it's way easier when you have a bigger wake, wish I knew that before haha. So can someone help a girl out and explain exactly what type of ballast bags I should get, and where I should put them? A lot of places say to put it in the rear compartment near the engine, on one side, then others say to put it in the bow for a longer wave. Which is best? Do I do both? Should I have the dealership put them in/ consult me on this or is that unnecessary? Trying to be cost efficient. 

What ratio of factory ballast verse bag weight verse weight from people/gear did yall use? Trying not to sink the boat. 

I was looking at the ballast bags on https://www.wakemake...FRiewAodOUMFWw  is there a certain one yall have used for your MB and like? Are they easy to use/ could you fill up and drain quickly?  

Also, can someone explain exactly what play and plug is? Does my 2014 B52 21' have it? I saw that MB just added play and plug to their 2016 model, but on another thread on here someone said their 2014 has it. I understand that if we got ballast bags we would have to manually pump them to fill/drain, but with play n plug you hook the bags up and the boat does it for you....is that right? 

Also how necessary is it to get GSA plates, and what exactly do these do? We surf mainly in the summer, not year round, so if these are wildly expensive could we forgo them?

We LOVE the MB and are excited to get a bigger, better wake. If you see in my picture, our wake right now is pitiful. Surfable, but difficult.

I attached a picture that I found useful of where to put the bags, but it's not specific to B52 21 and it doesn't say how much weight I can have. 

The second picture is a screenshot from https://www.gosurfas...t-ballast-setup where it tells you only put 750s in the back and none in the front? I thought that was weird. Also it tells you to fill up "all the factory ballast", which would mean filling up both sides and from what I understand you only fill up one side? Again it tells you to put bags in both sides of rear which is weird to me. 

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Jake (((O)))

Jake (((O)))

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Hometown Lake:LBC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

This is the first surfing boat we've ever had. Before this we had a 1994 Malibu Echelon for slalom skiiing (which the MB is still great for btw), and we got the MB brand new in 2014. This is the first time we're trying to add aftermarket ballast, so we're new to all this and just bear with me!

So I finally learned to surf without the rope, and I was using only 900 lbs of factory ballast. Now i'm researching and found out it's way easier when you have a bigger wake, wish I knew that before haha. So can someone help a girl out and explain exactly what type of ballast bags I should get, and where I should put them? A lot of places say to put it in the rear compartment near the engine, on one side, then others say to put it in the bow for a longer wave. Which is best? Do I do both? Should I have the dealership put them in/ consult me on this or is that unnecessary? Trying to be cost efficient.

What ratio of factory ballast verse bag weight verse weight from people/gear did yall use? Trying not to sink the boat.

I was looking at the ballast bags on https://www.wakemake...CFRiewAodOUMFWw is there a certain one yall have used for your MB and like? Are they easy to use/ could you fill up and drain quickly?

Also, can someone explain exactly what play and plug is? Does my 2014 B52 21' have it? I saw that MB just added play and plug to their 2016 model, but on another thread on here someone said their 2014 has it. I understand that if we got ballast bags we would have to manually pump them to fill/drain, but with play n plug you hook the bags up and the boat does it for you....is that right?

Also how necessary is it to get GSA plates, and what exactly do these do? We surf mainly in the summer, not year round, so if these are wildly expensive could we forgo them?

We LOVE the MB and are excited to get a bigger, better wake. If you see in my picture, our wake right now is pitiful. Surfable, but difficult.

I attached a picture that I found useful of where to put the bags, but it's not specific to B52 21 and it doesn't say how much weight I can have.

The second picture is a screenshot from https://www.gosurfas...t-ballast-setup where it tells you only put 750s in the back and none in the front? I thought that was weird. Also it tells you to fill up "all the factory ballast", which would mean filling up both sides and from what I understand you only fill up one side? Again it tells you to put bags in both sides of rear which is weird to me.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Location?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#3 Racer808

Racer808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Hometown Lake:All over

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:20 AM

GSA plates are not worth the money in my opinion, glad my boat came with it but would be mad as hell if I spent the 4k myself.  I would use goose slappers, they are very very very similar to another surf system we don't mention but Malibu uses it.  For your application I would suggest buying the Tsunami:

https://www.tsunamiw....com/technology

Or the Nauticurl :  https://nauticurl.com/

I've never played with the Nauti but it gets stellar reviews from those that have,. I play with the Tsunami gate & it's really good with an adjustable face.

I don't know if your boat has plug, most of the infrastructure should be there if you do.  Hopefully another member can you tell you exactly what to look for.  As for weight, you want 750s to 1100's in both your rear lockers.  If you surf listed you only need to fill one side, if you use slappers or the gates above you fill both.  I would suggest 400-600 pounds in the bow.  You also fill your factory ballast for either suggestion.  I typically keep my non surf side hard tank full if we are surfing listed & surf side full.  If you using a gate keep both hard tanks full in addition to your new locker bags.  

You also may need to get a more aggressive prop once you start adding all this weight, depending on which one you have.

#4 Mikewoods

Mikewoods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationHighland
  • Hometown Lake:White Lake

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

I have a 2014 23' B52 and run 1100s in the rear lockers, fly high w711 bag in the bow. Surf side hard tank full trim tab 1/2 down.
  • clovenburg likes this

Current Boat: 2019 MB 23' B52 6.2L 400FPT

Previous Boat: 2014 MB 23'B52 6.0L 409hp

#5 americangirl

americangirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL
  • Hometown Lake:Lewis Smith Lake

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

Jake, the location is in Alabama!

After talking to my dealer and the amazing people at WakeMakers, I've decided to get these bags for my rear lockers and this one for my bow. This way I only have to buy one pump, the Tsunami that comes in the kit, and for all three bags and he said it would only take 15 mins TOTAL to fill all 3! 

The guy at WakeMakers didn't have the measurements for the bow of my MB but he told me to get the 42"L x 16"W x 16"H. After talking to the dealer he said the bow measures at 54” L x 13”W x 12” H. Do y'all think it'll be fine even though the sac would be a little big? 

Also the dealer told me MB puts reinforcement boards around the engine, and that factory doesn't put in boards around the engine when they install so he doesn't think I need to buy reinforcement around the engine, but the WakeMakers guy seems to think I do. Thoughts on this? Did y'all install extra reinforcement? Wouldn't would to break the boat with all this ballast  :huh: . 

Deciding to forgo the GSA tabs and opt out on spending 4k. We can deal with the listing. 

#6 Racer808

Racer808

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationDenver
  • Hometown Lake:All over

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

Jake, the location is in Alabama!

After talking to my dealer and the amazing people at WakeMakers, I've decided to get these bags for my rear lockers and this one for my bow. This way I only have to buy one pump, the Tsunami that comes in the kit, and for all three bags and he said it would only take 15 mins TOTAL to fill all 3! 

The guy at WakeMakers didn't have the measurements for the bow of my MB but he told me to get the 42"L x 16"W x 16"H. After talking to the dealer he said the bow measures at 54” L x 13”W x 12” H. Do y'all think it'll be fine even though the sac would be a little big? 

Also the dealer told me MB puts reinforcement boards around the engine, and that factory doesn't put in boards around the engine when they install so he doesn't think I need to buy reinforcement around the engine, but the WakeMakers guy seems to think I do. Thoughts on this? Did y'all install extra reinforcement? Wouldn't would to break the boat with all this ballast  :huh: . 

Deciding to forgo the GSA tabs and opt out on spending 4k. We can deal with the listing. 

You can get the Tsunami or Nauticurl for under $200.00 & they work great to lengthen the wave.  Using the over the side pump isn't that bad, gives you time to drink a cold one & BS.   You will want to plumb it all in during the winter though after spending the summer using the pump.  My bow bag is too big technically but it works just fine.  I know it's full when the seats pop up & water comes out the vent....

I did no reinforcement & so far no problems.  My Malibu didn't need reinforcement either but one day it did pop bottom lose, but the rail that holds the divider was already lose & missing it screws it seemed.  I just bought a piece of angle iron & screwed it down it its place & never had an issue again.  

#7 Jake (((O)))

Jake (((O)))

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Hometown Lake:LBC

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:10 PM

Don't forget the 10% forum discount.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Racer808 likes this

#8 nickm

nickm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

I don't run additional bow weight in my f21.
  • TRN likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ballast, play and plug, play n plug, wakesurf, wake, surf, bags, ballastbags, fat sacs, fat sacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users