Glide Bearings Dripless Shaft Seal

Nice write up dude!!! It's a project for sure!!! The plastic cutless bearings seem to be much better than the previous and they made my engine alignment so much easier as there was a lot less play in the shaft when tying to find center. Thanks for putting this together, lots of guys are asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Suggestion:  Create a locked sub-forum for "Maintenance or Modification Instructions" and put posts like this in it OR stick this and any other thorough write-up at the top of "tech discussion".  Anytime somebody takes this much time to detail how to do something, it should be easy to find for the masses... especially given the poor "Here's the crap we used to build your boat" owners manual we get currently. 

$.02  FWIW...

Forum Suggestion: Create a locked sub-forum for "Maintenance or Modification Instructions" and put posts like this in it OR stick this and any other thorough write-up at the top of "tech discussion". Anytime somebody takes this much time to detail how to do something, it should be easy to find for the masses... especially given the poor "Here's the crap we used to build your boat" owners manual we get currently.

$.02 FWIW...

Not redirecting anybody because I love this site, but that is what they are trying to do at WakeGarage.com. The idea is to build a completed project database that is sorted by category and easily searchable. A thread like this can be posted directly to the completed projects or a new project can be discussed in the forum while building it and then moved afterwards. The idea is to not lose these projects in the forum threads. WG is for all brands of wake boats. I frequent there and here more than any other sites.

It's just taking time to get conversations going on a new site. They would kill to have a group as solid as we have here at MBOwners.

http://www.wakegarage.com/

Forum Suggestion:  Create a locked sub-forum for "Maintenance or Modification Instructions" and put posts like this in it OR stick this and any other thorough write-up at the top of "tech discussion".  Anytime somebody takes this much time to detail how to do something, it should be easy to find for the masses... especially given the poor "Here's the crap we used to build your boat" owners manual we get currently. 

$.02  FWIW...

Agreed. I don't think we have enough detailed write-ups to warrant it's own section yet, but I'm happy to Sticky this. 

I followed up with Tim at Glide Bearings on pricing.

Regular cap GMSS Shaft Seal = $160. $220 for the pro kit with strut bearings.

Split Cap GMSS Shaft Seal = $195 includes extra seal. $255 for Pro Kit.

Tim is offering a 10% discount for MB Boat Owners forum members. PM me or tim@glide here on this site for the discount code.

• 1 month later...

One thing to keep in mind when replacing the PSS with a GlideSeal, is that the PSS doubles as a safety collar... if the shaft breaks at the coupling, the PSS will keep the shaft from sliding out of the boat... "but won't the prop and rudder do that?"   $ure.... maybe.... http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php/topic/5560-broken-drive-shaft/

If you have enough space, you can slide the PSS rotor on the shaft between the GlideSeal and the coupling; the rotor is well balanced and will make a great safety collar.   However, if your boat is like mine, there is NO WAY you can get anything in between the coupling and the GlideSeal because you need a few inches to install the coupling on the end of the shaft.   

The solution?  Add a 1-1/8" split safety collar after everything else is in place;

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-30848-billet-aluminum-prop-shaft-collars.aspx

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-30848-billet-aluminum-prop-shaft-collars.aspx

http://www.d21ent.com/product-p/d21-066.htm

post-1978-0-53928700-1504126063_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

One thing to keep in mind when replacing the PSS with a GlideSeal, is that the PSS doubles as a safety collar... if the shaft breaks at the coupling, the PSS will keep the shaft from sliding out of the boat... "but won't the prop and rudder do that?"   $ure.... maybe.... http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php/topic/5560-broken-drive-shaft/

If you have enough space, you can slide the PSS rotor on the shaft between the GlideSeal and the coupling; the rotor is well balanced and will make a great safety collar.   However, if your boat is like mine, there is NO WAY you can get anything in between the coupling and the GlideSeal because you need a few inches to install the coupling on the end of the shaft.   

The solution?  Add a 1-1/8" split safety collar after everything else is in place;

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-30848-billet-aluminum-prop-shaft-collars.aspx

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-30848-billet-aluminum-prop-shaft-collars.aspx

http://www.d21ent.com/product-p/d21-066.htm

attachicon.gifIMG_1478.JPG

Thanks for sharing this.  I replaced mine with the OJ version of the seal so I need one of these.  Kpinlac's post about his boat almost sinking in the other thread makes me nervous about mine.  :o

Yes I can relate, my shaft broke right inside hub on taper/keyway section bolted to the tranny on my 2014 F21 249 hrs, which was just 2 hrs on the water after a full service when I was just cruising at 20.

Got a tow back to base, lucky I had the PSS with collar as this stopped my shaft pulling out.

I investigated and found the design fault on forum. My dealer replaced shaft (covered by MB) and upgraded engine mount bushes (Indmar accepted fault, and dealer was pursuing cost to replace from them) after I wrote a very detailed complaint about this design fault.

GOOD LUCK :(

• 5 months later...

If anyone that has never done a seal before..... on my 2011 tomcat the set screw on the pss seal has set screws under the outer set screws....I was unaware of that so if I can help someone with that knowledge there it is. In the middle of doing mine right now I bought it last season and putting it on before I put the boat on the hoist. It is not the split cap one but the regular one and I did the strut bearings as well.... those weren’t bad doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why a brand new boat with less than 10 hours would be leaking from this shaft? Mine has been leaking even when not running. Water continuously enters the boat from somewhere in this shaft seal. Could one of the components just be loose? Not an easy access to this dam thing!

jhasting

where did you tap you water line into on your boat. I got the seal just have finished the install yet..

thanks

I have the indmar motor. I connected the water line to the oil cooler, which is located immediately above the alternator.  There is a small bolt on the outside of the cooler, right at the bottom.  I replaced the bolt with a barbed fitting and connected to that... the nice thing about that location is that it is after the pump, so there is positive water pressure.   

post-1978-0-27706200-1530721957_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know why a brand new boat with less than 10 hours would be leaking from this shaft? Mine has been leaking even when not running. Water continuously enters the boat from somewhere in this shaft seal. Could one of the components just be loose? Not an easy access to this dam thing!

What kind of seal is it?  Do you have a photo?

• 8 months later...

Any update on this? Have the same problem on my 16 sanger. Sanger sent me new seals but said if water was coming in from shaft area it would mean motor alignment was off. I live where there is no dealer for over 2k miles away so I'm on my own.

The seal will follow the shaft if out of alignment and not leak. Then the boat would vibrate under load and that would be another issue. Some seals are just junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boat doesn't vibrate so seal must just be bad. Thanks

• 6 months later...