#1 Wbinder

Wbinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVisalia
  • Hometown Lake:Kaweah

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

My father in law bought a brand new 2015 mb tomcat a little more than a year ago with the ford raptor motor with zero hours on it. It Still has pretty low hrs At 110. About three months ago we were out wake surfing and the motor suddenly lost all power and died. I didn't turn the key off and left the key in the on position to listen to the radio for the tow in. We looked in the bilge and found half a piston, a connecting rod and a bunch of other internals. There was very little oil in the bilge and the pan was still completely full. The oil also still smelled and looked new and showed no signs of water being mixed in. It blew a hole big enough to stick your arm in the motor and out the other side. We immediately took it to the shop it was purchased from where we were told it was going to be warrantied. Indmar requested the computer and came back later and told us the computer had showed the motor was ran for over 45 min with no oil pressure. At no point did the dash show any warning lights or sound any alarms. We were then told it will most likely not be warrantied and that we have to ship the motor to indmar. The other interesting part we found out was the vdrive had very milky oil. Two months later the motor finally gets shipped to indmar and after their investigation they replied. #1/#5 rods are broke from appears to be water ingesting through the monovalve and hydrolocking which bent and broke the rods, there was water mixed with the oil in the vdrive as well, manifolds and vdrive both pressure tested good. Because of these findings the engine ingested water this will not be covered under warranty. With the vdr portion having water in it and the water jacket has been pressure checked it indicated that at some point there may have been to much water in the bilge this ingesting in the engine and vdr.
They also told us they want to replace the vdrive as well. Weve never had any excessive water in the bilge and also find it strange that they switched their claims on the cause. It's gunna cost about $30k for the replacement. I'm looking for any advice, thoughts, connections, anything that may help this situation out. Let me know what you guys think

#2 Hondatech117

Hondatech117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI
  • Hometown Lake:BIg Cedar

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

If they say it was from water ingestion, and they can prove it, why not claim it under insurance? 30k, hell no, no way would I be paying that. I would be sinking it to the bottom of the lake before I paid that. 

Seems weird that you would be able to run it for 45 min with no oil pressure. I would think it would go into limp mode and not even come off of idle. You may want to PM EngineNut, but I know he doesn't like dabbling in warranty claims, which is understandable. Hell, he might already know of your engine and the story as well.

• Ship Faced likes this

#3 oldsmobiledriver

oldsmobiledriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX
  • Hometown Lake:Tanglewood

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Ran for 45 minutes with no oil pressure ๐Ÿ˜‚tell them to kiss your rear and hire the lawyer and have him and insurance fight indmar. They're morons! An engine with no oil pressure locks up in under 60 seconds. Especially if loaded up surfing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • micah7476 and Ship Faced like this

71 Olds Cutlass, 70 3 door Suburban, 16 Tahoe LTZ, 2012 F21 Tomcat: Surf Machine!!!
http://i260.photobuc...st/IMG_4360.jpg

#4 Mucker626

Mucker626

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationKelso wa
  • Hometown Lake:Mayfield Lake

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

It's funny you call them morons. I called on my motor mount issue and they told me they are not having a motor mount issues. Larry "Enginenut" can get you pointed in the right direction for sure. He got me to the right people. Still took 3 months for a final reply. None the less it was resolved.

#5 steve142

steve142

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

30k ? Is that for twin Roush 502โ€™s ?
  • oldsmobiledriver likes this

#6 oldsmobiledriver

oldsmobiledriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

$30k they must be trading out the whole boat! Lol

71 Olds Cutlass, 70 3 door Suburban, 16 Tahoe LTZ, 2012 F21 Tomcat: Surf Machine!!!

#7 freeheeler88

freeheeler88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationthree rivers ca
  • Hometown Lake:kaweah

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

Man I am so sorry to hear that, hang in there.   I too am on the Kaweah with a 2014 f22 from hbw, and just the other day he told me that he has recently seen a couple boats with milky vdrive/trans fluid. (maybe one was yours)  In fact it made me think to check mine today, all seemed ok.  Did hans send you up to the mb dealer in Stockton?  I don't understand how this is not totally and completely under warranty...that is absurd.  It would seem to put mb sideways with indmar if nothing else.  mb needs to go to bat.

pm me if you want to chat further.

hope things get resolved for you man,

j

#8 duster

duster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:45 AM

Something doesn't sound right if it hydro lock Grenades instantly and if so how did it run for 45 minutes with no oil pressure So you might want to I have them clear that up first which was it And if they stick to the hydro lock story insurance claim also 30k๐Ÿ˜‚

#9 Jake (((O)))

Jake (((O)))

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Hometown Lake:LBC

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

So they're saying hydrolock from ingestion through the air intake from being submerged? Is that what they're claiming?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#10 Wbinder

Wbinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVisalia
  • Hometown Lake:Kaweah

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

If that's where the monovalve is I guess so but don't know where that is located on the motor

So they're saying hydrolock from ingestion through the air intake from being submerged? Is that what they're claiming?

#11 Jake (((O)))

Jake (((O)))

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Hometown Lake:LBC

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

It is

#12 bloodiestcadaver

bloodiestcadaver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationutah
  • Hometown Lake:rockport, jordanell, deercreek

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

I agree 45 min with no oil pressure is just highly unlikely, especially with no signs(noises, vibrations etc. )

I just bought an MB and the rep told me the bilge pump turns on automatically any way? so if that failed wouldn't that be cause for warranty due to other components failing? I mean you can't really say negligence  because you can't be expected to look down there every 5 min to check if its working right?

#13 duster

duster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

the bilge pump what are you talking about

#14 OrangeTJ

OrangeTJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA
  • Hometown Lake:Folsom Lake

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

This just sounds crazy. If you had enough water in the boat to reach the air intake for the engine, there's no way you wouldn't have noticed. You would be sinking.
  • Ship Faced and Jake (((O))) like this

#15 freeheeler88

freeheeler88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationthree rivers ca
  • Hometown Lake:kaweah

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

That's what I was thinking as far as the automatic bilge kicking on.  Mine has ben kicking on from time to time due to a possible minor shaft seal leak, and it only allows the water to get to about an inch or so at most before it pumps it out.

?? 

#16 duster

duster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

The water did not come into the intake it would have came in through the exhaust I've seen it happen on several boats even though there are flappers in there usually water comes up through the exhaust boom hydro lock

#17 Hondatech117

Hondatech117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI
  • Hometown Lake:BIg Cedar

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

The water did not come into the intake it would have came in through the exhaust I've seen it happen on several boats even though there are flappers in there usually water comes up through the exhaust boom hydro lock

I will have to look again at mine when I get home, but isn't there a pretty aggressive gooseneck on the exhaust? And I thought it was pretty high, surprised it would make it in there. 

• JeffO likes this

#18 dobber

dobber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

If it came in through the exhaust, then MB and Indmar should split the cost. Wouldn't it be a bad design on the part of Indmar for the exhaust, or bad through hull placement on MB to allow water in the motor?

#19 duster

duster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Yes your right it is pretty high up but it happens under certain conditions

#20 oldsmobiledriver

oldsmobiledriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Tell Russia its all Indmars fault and they will take care of it for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users