Need help choosing prop for my new 2016 F22

meetloaf13

I live in Idaho Falls, elevation ~ 4,700.  99% of my boating will be done above 3,700 feet.

It comes with 2701.

I've seen others with 2775. 

I run a 2079 on my '04 B52 currently.

If anyone is running an F22 at elevation what prop are you running, which have you tried?

Thanks!

Transmission ratio is directly related to what prop you should select.  With a lower numerical ratio, you'll generally want a lower pitched prop than you would on a higher numberical transmission ratio, all else being equal.  With a 1.5 transmission, the 2775 is probably a good all around choice but not quite the torque monster it would be on a 1.76 (on my 1.76 equipped boat I found the 2775 to be too aggressive, requiring high rpm at all speeds and under almost any conditions...it was like driving around in 4 Low all the time in a 4 x 4).  You may want to get into a prop with a pitch in the 11 - 11.5" range.  No matter what, I'd stick with a 15" diameter prop since you have the clearance.

If you decide to change props, it is very simple to do.  Takes maybe 10 minutes.  Costs a fair amount of money to buy a new prop, but if your old prop is in good condition there's almost always somebody who will want to buy it.

What do you love about those 2 props?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's a tractor!  I am at 4700' where we usually boat.  I run approx 5400 pounds & none of the other props got the job done.  I had the 2937 but was still turning 3700-3800 RPM at 11.2-11.4mph, got the 2951 & dropped the RPM to 3600 same speed.  There's not much top end though, I do about 30 mph at 4700 to 5000 rpm.  I'd like to check out a 15.5" prop but I don't think it'd fit on my boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Transmission ratio is directly related to what prop you should select.  With a lower numerical ratio, you'll generally want a lower pitched prop than you would on a higher numberical transmission ratio, all else being equal.  With a 1.5 transmission, the 2775 is probably a good all around choice but not quite the torque monster it would be on a 1.76 (on my 1.76 equipped boat I found the 2775 to be too aggressive, requiring high rpm at all speeds and under almost any conditions...it was like driving around in 4 Low all the time in a 4 x 4).  You may want to get into a prop with a pitch in the 11 - 11.5" range.  No matter what, I'd stick with a 15" diameter prop since you have the clearance.

If you decide to change props, it is very simple to do.  Takes maybe 10 minutes.  Costs a fair amount of money to buy a new prop, but if your old prop is in good condition there's almost always somebody who will want to buy it.

I have the 2775 prop on mine and I feel like I'm always at high rpms, at least 4500 when surfing and even cruising I'm 4500-5000

I have a 2017 b52 23 with the 440. The thing feels super fast out the hole but taps out so fast as far as speed goes

what would you recommend? my lakes are 5900 to 6100. I will go to lake powell (3700) but maybe only 2 times for the season. 

A 2247 or 2249 should bring your RPM down a couple hundred at any given speed. A 2277 or 2279 will bring it down a couple hundred More than that. With a 440, I bet you could swing a 2279 and still have enough out of the hole to pull surf weight. I caveat that by saying that on my own boat with the 400 and a 2277 I had borrowed I was just short of power at 6000 (Tahoe)to consistently pull surf weight. You might be cutting it close, but you do have a fair amount more power than me. I can say this - it is SO much more enjoyable to wakeboard, cruise and surf at 3200 - 3800 than it is at 4000 - 4500. I'm very happy with my 2279 at low elevation and up to 3500 feet or so.

From what I read I believe I also have the 1.7 ratio trans which could possibly be in my favor for the 2279? im confused on how the numbers work, you say 2247 or 2249, but 2277 and 2279 would make it lower rpm?  but 2775 is in the direction of having higher rpm?

I wish I could rent out a couple before I buy

It doesn't help that the model numbers on props seem to have no apparent correlation to their pitch and diameter. But yes - 2775 is a relatively low pitch prop, which generally equals higher RPM at any given speed. 2277 and 2279 are higher pitch, equaling lower RPM (but also lower pulling power). 2247 and 2249 are in between. There are many others. I recommend going to the charts on the acme propeller website to see the actual diameter, pitch and cup of the various props. Most likely, you can limit your search to 15" diameter props although a 15.5 might fit. There is a LOT to how props actually work, but diameter, pitch and cup can give you a good general basis of comparison.

I would highly recommend calling ACME to discuss what you are looking for. They can provide good guidance.

FWIW, I have experienced the 2775, 2249, 2277 and 2279 on my F22 with the 400 and 1.7 trans. I am very happy with the 2279.

Yes, I think you would. Your engine will produce less power at 6000 than at 3700, all else being equal. Whether it will be a "problem" or not I can't say. On my boat, with a 2277 at 6000 feet I was still able to achieve full RPM and top speed (40), loaded with passengers but no ballast. With ballast loaded, the boat was maxed out holding an 11 mph surf speed. At 3500 feet - no such problem.