Poll on motor mounts/shafts

onequicktang

Motor mount/shaft issue poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Sunken motor mounts

2. 2. Broken Shaft

They are flush against the side with the weight setting on them for sure. There is only the top two bolts preventing them from moving in the up direction as the assembly tries to twist under a load. I guess I'll have to get a video of the flex to show you all.

I would not call it trying to out think the engineer when the bracket was engineered with 4 mounting points.

Adding two more mounts would help I'm sure. So would properly securing the 4 supplied in my opion. If it was possible that is. Can anyone confirm that adding bolts to the bottom would penitrate the ballast tanks?

Feel free to cut into it lol! I'm sticking with the education I got from Cecil at Elberts's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ha! No thanks that guinea pig I will not be. :D

Edit: After tapping on the wall it gets thin before the bottom holes. So without strength behind it adding bolts would only make things worse all around. There goes that idea. They are not "flush" against that wall as I previously stated either. Ugh.

I am just finishing mine up this week. Replacing everything myself as I am out of the 3 yr warranty.

How did you handle the replacement of the motor mounts?  DId you do one at a time as others on here did or did you secure the motor some other way?  I'm going to get started on mine this weekend.

How did you handle the replacement of the motor mounts? DId you do one at a time as others on here did or did you secure the motor some other way? I'm going to get started on mine this weekend.

One at a time. Only real thing I noticed to watch for is running the bolt in before you seat the top bushing. If the trunnion is of center you will risk cross threading if you seat the bushing first. Put them all back where they were set at then adjusted from there.

Here is my "opinion" on a big part of the issue at hand after the install.    I am not an engineer, just an old mechanic / part time fabricator.  One who brags about his MB and will continue to. 

Like I said above I admit I did not check my tolerance as often as I should have. That does not mean failure should have happened at this point. 

The mount brackets are only secured from the top!  Not from the top and the sides as designed. I read somewhere people are thinking 4 mounts instead of 6 as big factor.  My opinion would be that 2 bolts securing the mount to the structure vs 4 as one of the "root causes" to this problem.  Anther potential "root cause" as I keep asking why (5 why's) may be by design the hard ballast tanks do not allow room for said mount bolts?   

In the end when torque is applied there needs to be structural integrity preventing the lift of one side as it prevents the downward force on the other.  This mount setup does not secure "lifting" forces properly.  The rubber mounts take the abuse and wear as they are designed to do.  To the point they lose flexibility, the alignments starts to shift, and snap.  Sure we can add rubber or poly that is more dense than we had before and potentially get more life out of them.....I would guess however, we are not addressing the root cause of this issue. 

Just Tim's opinion. 

I heard as well that the engine mount design was changed from 6 to 4 and that's when this and the prop shaft seal leak became an issue.  I too wonder what the life expectancy of the new mounts is.  Is this going to become part of preventative maintenance?

While better, I don't love the mounts. If we could get them out if hard poly I'd buy a set.

I found pulling the upper mount in with the bolt is the way to go. Keep close tabs on the jam but, you want it close to the trunion st alo times or it will end up in the bottom of the upper mount.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I heard as well that the engine mount design was changed from 6 to 4 and that's when this and the prop shaft seal leak became an issue.  I too wonder what the life expectancy of the new mounts is.  Is this going to become part of preventative maintenance?

I 100% do not expect to these mounts to be much better. 1 of my trans mounts was sunk after 3 hours, I had to flip it when redoing my alignment, of course this may have been installer error on the dealership part! If you just run that bolt down tight and try to get too much adjustment it will smash the mount.

I know of 3 different people that I turned on to MB that bought boats and have all broke at least one shaft.

There is a guy here in Colorado that has told my buddy that MB knows the alignment is off by a few degree but they won't fix it. This is a problem and MB does nothing about it, Im sure other have broke shafts from hitting stuff but i know for a fact there are boats out there that have had this problem with out hitting anything. Our boats has been good and we have liked it but we are ready for a new one and sad to say MB is not on the list. I have been lucky not to have may problems but I can't say the same for the rest of the people I know. I don't know onequicktang or Jeff but i was pretty shocked to hear a dealer respond on here like you did Jeff. Trust me i get it i work for a dealership and there are times i want to say something but i have learned over the years that if you truly do the right thing and take care of your customers you don't need to defend yourself people will see right through the customers that trying to bash a dealer. Sorry but that was a fail on your part letting him get to you. I have watched 2 MBs sit for over 2 months now waiting on shafts and they have been riding with us ( I do like the added weight) but i feel bad for the people that are having this problem.

For those who did this job themselves, I could use some guidance. I've got the front 2 mounts finished. I'm working on the back now and am having a problem with clearance. The nut on the motor mount bolt just above the trunion doesn't have enough room to get a wrench on it. Anyone else have this issue?

For those who did this job themselves, I could use some guidance. I've got the front 2 mounts finished. I'm working on the back now and am having a problem with clearance. The nut on the motor mount bolt just above the trunion doesn't have enough room to get a wrench on it. Anyone else have this issue?

If you are talking about the jam nut, I actually "made" a tool out of a cheap wrench for that purpose 

post-1978-0-85805900-1537199590_thumb.jpg

If you are talking about the jam nut, I actually "made" a tool out of a cheap wrench for that purpose 

post-1978-0-85805900-1537199590_thumb.jpg

Anyone else have a problem with clearance between the prop shaft coupler and transmission? I can't quite fit my wrench and socket in even when the shaft is pushed as far toward the shaft seal as possible. The wrench and socket are 2.25" and are just a hair too long.

post-1757-0-35152200-1537467438_thumb.jpg