oboyskibum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Hometown Lake:Pineview

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:24 PM

I think the new F24 needs the new Indmar Helm display and the traditional MB toggle switches. 

Chime in. I love tech but also like the ability to manually override it. 

I have been knocking around the idea of trying to get an aftermarket unit like this put together. The College I work at has tons of CS students with the skills to help make it happen, i am just not sure about the ability to market it.

• bloodiestcadaver likes this

#2 meetloaf13

meetloaf13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationSE Idaho
  • Hometown Lake:Ririe Reservoir

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:26 AM

I love my toggle switches

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#3 oboyskibum

oboyskibum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:16 AM

I do like old school style, but I love technology and I like the control and information it gives. I wouldn't trade my smartphone for an 80 brick phone that's for sure.

I am hoping for the best of both worlds on my next MB in a couple of years. 

#4 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationCentral California
  • Hometown Lake:Success/Kaweah

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

But then again what smartphones would you want to depend on to run a boat 10 years later? In this case the next smartphone wouldn’t be backwards compatible so when the original phone dies the boat dies. That is the issue. Cool tech doesn’t last in a boat environment. I wouldn’t want a 15-20 year note on tech that won’t be supported half of that time.
  • Raisin' Cain, Birddog7.62 and bloodiestcadaver like this
If it was easy... everybody would do it!!

#5 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

I would love a Malibu/Mastercraft/Nautique dealer to answer this simple question. “What happens 10 years from now if I have a screen/computer failure?”

#6 Hondatech117

Hondatech117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI
  • Hometown Lake:BIg Cedar

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:35 AM

I would love a Malibu/Mastercraft/Nautique dealer to answer this simple question. “What happens 10 years from now if I have a screen/computer failure?”

My guess would be a 3rd party reman program or retrofit. Having a centralized computer that controls everything like that scares me. 

#7 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

My guess would be a 3rd party reman program or retrofit. Having a centralized computer that controls everything like that scares me.

Problem is there isn’t the volume in boats that there is in automotive to cover the costs of rebuilding. They change their dashes every couple of years and don’t have that much volume in between. I’m expecting some seriously dead boats in another decade when all this catches up.
  • Birddog7.62 likes this

#8 Hondatech117

Hondatech117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

Problem is there isn’t the volume in boats that there is in automotive to cover the costs of rebuilding. They change their dashes every couple of years and don’t have that much volume in between. I’m expecting some seriously dead boats in another decade when all this catches up.

You are definitely right about the lower volume. I would imagine a company that wanted to take on that task could ask whatever they wanted for repair tho. I wonder also how it will effect resale. The more expensive things are for maintenance and repair usually drives resale down. Maybe it'll be you that will have the retrofit, lol. Have to put that electronics expertise to good use!

• Hyperryd likes this

#9 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

I’ve been saying the guy who can build a retrofit to a standard affordable tablet will make a fortune in a few years.

#10 Mucker626

Mucker626

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationKelso wa
  • Hometown Lake:Mayfield Lake

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

We bought a new travel trailer last spring.  We had it narrowed down to 2.  One had a fancy touchscreen that controlled everything in the trailer and one had all separate switches.  Went with the i could work on when a switch failed!  

• Hyperryd likes this

#11 oboyskibum

oboyskibum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:33 PM

Did I miss something or is everyone driving cars from the 90's. If you have a newer car it is almost exclusively computer controlled.

My 1969 ford bronco has some great toggle switches and pull cables they are awesome, but I love the tech in my 2016 Dodge truck.

#12 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

It’s not that they aren’t cool but boats aren’t the same as cars. They aren’t the same environment and boat companies aren’t the size of car companies. Support won’t be there for older boats. The automotive industry has standards that they have to follow on how many years of support they offer. Boats don’t. I was talking to a boat repair shop the other day. They can’t get trim parts for 3 year old MasterCrafts. When they build proprietary equipment they will become obsolete. Nobody goes back and makes 5 year old tech for replacement parts. When they run out they run out.

#13 Hondatech117

Hondatech117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationWest Bend, WI

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:04 PM

Did I miss something or is everyone driving cars from the 90's. If you have a newer car it is almost exclusively computer controlled.

My 1969 ford bronco has some great toggle switches and pull cables they are awesome, but I love the tech in my 2016 Dodge truck.

It’s not that they aren’t cool but boats aren’t the same as cars. They aren’t the same environment and boat companies aren’t the size of car companies. Support won’t be there for older boats. The automotive industry has standards that they have to follow on how many years of support they offer. Boats don’t. I was talking to a boat repair shop the other day. They can’t get trim parts for 3 year old MasterCrafts. When they build proprietary equipment they will become obsolete. Nobody goes back and makes 5 year old tech for replacement parts. When they run out they run out.

Vehicle companies are required to make replacement parts for a minimum of 10 years. I too agree I love the tech in my new vehicles, but there is also tons of support and available parts for them. They are mass produced and I feel the quality control and reliability has to be so much better or auto makers would be losing millions. 

#14 oboyskibum

oboyskibum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

I think you need both personally manual toggles and touchscreen. As an IT professional it's not uncommon for us to see computer systems last 20+ years. I have some pretty old smartphones that still work fine, they just are not as fast, don't run the cool apps or look cool. 

If the system is built correctly replacing parts is easier than changing your oil. It's plug and play.

The current MB's have a smaller computer that controls the surf system and GPS speed control, the motor is computer controlled as well.

#15 oboyskibum

oboyskibum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

The good thing about using industry standard computer parts is they are even more available than any car electronic parts and computer programs are upgradable and can be supported for a long time.  You can still run some applications that were written in the early 80's

IS is always dependant on the manufacturer, just like trim and hardware parts. At some point, if parts are not available for your boat like the transmission you have to replace it with something else. The more proprietary the system the less time it will be supported.

#16 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:33 PM

I hear ya. Go over to the Malibu forums and listen to the guys on their third $1200 screens on 2013 boats. The screen on the MBs are a third party that supplies the same screen to multiple brands without any changes except firmware/software. Again more volume so there is a better chance of parts being available. If the screen fails the systems still work fine. If theirs fail the boat goes into limp mode.
The engine computers are the same for multiple brands as well. I’m mainly talking about the proprietary dashes. Since the boat companies are not required to support them for 10 years do you think they will volunteer to? Even if they do, over half of the boats sold these days are on 15-20 year notes. I know not everybody keeps a boat that long, but seriously how do you buy a $150k boat that will not be supported the life of your loan?

I work in the medical field and a $4 million machine will be sold to us with an end of life of 8 years. It will last past that but there will be no new parts available. Needless to say we don’t finance them for 20 years. At least they are brutally honest up front.

I’m not knocking you for wanting the cool tech toys on a boat at all. I’m just pointing out that they are building in obsolescence right along with the touchscreens. You can buy a 10 year old Mercedes for less than a 10 year old Accord primarily because the repair costs and lack of parts makes the Mercedes much more expensive to own. I think the same will happen to boats. Purely my opinion, so take that at face value.
  • Mucker626 and Hondatech117 like this

#17 Mucker626

Mucker626

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationKelso wa

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

This analogy killed it!

You can buy a 10 year old Mercedes for less than a 10 year old Accord primarily because the repair costs and lack of parts makes the Mercedes much more expensive to own. I think the same will happen to boats. Purely my opinion, so take that at face value

• meetloaf13 and onequicktang like this

#18 breakz77

breakz77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationDiscovery Bay
  • Hometown Lake:Dirty D

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

Just get a new boat every 2-3 years so it's still under warranty  :D

• meetloaf13 likes this

It's not what you land.. it's how big you go

#19 Mucker626

Mucker626

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationKelso wa

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

Just get a new boat every 2-3 years so it's still under warranty :D

Great idea!
  • breakz77 likes this

#20 Hyperryd

Hyperryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

Just get a new boat every 2-3 years so it's still under warranty :D

There is that. Just be the first owner and jump before warranty finishes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users