Stereo Hissing - Copper shielding?

Anyone had luck with wrapping the tachometer cable with copper shielding to get rid of hissing / whining through the speakers? This was a recommendation from a local stereo shop. I’ve tried everything else with the exception of an alternator noise filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Year/model boat?

Source unit setup?

Im gathering that the unwanted noise is only when engine is running, hence the focus on the tach?

Is the noise from all full range speakers or just some?

what have you tried exactly. There can be a number of things to do to isolate the noise, narrow down the point its entering, and actually eliminate it, rather then a filter to mask it. 

I had the factory Exile system on my 16 F-22. Engine whine drove me bonkers. New RCA's, complete new rewire, even went to diff amps. Nothing helped. I ended up doing a complete new stereo, Rockford Marine Source, Rockford Power series Marine Amps, and Hertz Marine speakers and sub. I did keep my 2 sets of Exile towers. I now have zero noise and love love LOVE my new stereo. 

Now, I'm not dogging the Exile stuff. I think it is great product, and amazing customer service! I put my old Exile amps in a buddies boat, and they work great with no noise, and I use the exile head in another application with no noise. For whatever reason I just couldn't make it happen in my boat. I think the problem may be the EQ, its adding one more potential for a ground loop. The reason I chose the Rockford source was it has a hideaway brain that I was able to install next to the amp rack. Therefore everything is grounded short and to the same location. 

I hope you find a solution without having to replace hard parts if you don't want to, but if you decide to change things up, I recommend you start with the source unit, that may solve the problem for you. Just my 2 cents, good luck!!!!

2015 B52 -

Had stock clarion head unit and replaced with Exile ZLD then replaced with Fusion head unit

Had clarion amp running towers and replaced with Rockford Fosgate then replaced with XM15.4

Javelin running cabin and sub (all stock)

System made no noise with original head unit and clarion amp (for towers).

I replaced Clarion head unit with ZLD.  I ran power and ground directly back to battery and added a set of RCA's.  Now when boat is running there is a whine/hiss in all of the speakers.

What I've done to correct issue:

1. re-routed RCA's away from any power source

2. changed grounds from amps to batteries and measured resistance to ensure good grounding points

3. replaced head unit and tower amp since those are the things I originally replaced which then caused the hiss

4. ensured gains were appropriately adjusted

5. changed power source for head unit and amp turn on 

6. tried RCA noise filters

My next course of action was gonna be:

1. wrap tac wire with copper foil 

2. replace factory twisted pair rca's with single ended

3. add alternator noise filter

Good to hear that Mike.

I will say I have been on a few other MB's of my year that are the same system and they don't have the noise for whatever reason. I will also say that the Exile system sounds pretty freaking good. By far the best factory stereo for a boat in this price range, and better than a ton in bigger price ranges. So I am sure you are money well spent!

changed power source for head unit and amp turn on 

Specifically, what color wires? Turn-on and switch IGN almost never induce noise, but some Fusion heads have gone to a 2-wire power harness from 3. 

Your gen MB is of that era, where the amps' B+ are wired to one of the batteries and not the switch. This is a major invitation for noise. 

Dropping an RCA direct from the head to the amp across the cabin, eliminates the tach and alternator.