New potential boat owner looking for experienced owners advice.

tyrellgentry

Hello everyone new to the page, and honestly new to boating. I have never owned a boat and have actually spent minimal time on a boat that wasn't meant for fishing. We are a family of 6 with kids aged 12 to 4 years old. We are just looking for something that makes since. Will do most things well, but will also fit the size of our family. Also something that is mechanically sound and reliable. Being pretty inexperienced I am not sure the big differences between these boats. I believe they have different power levels, with the B52 post stating 410hp. Either way wondering if anyone would recommend one boat of the other. They do have different hrs with the B52 being twice as many despite being 2 years newer. 

Thanks, 

https://www.nwinboards.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2011-MB-Sports-Boat-F21-Tomcat-10944836?ref=list

https://www.thewaterskiproshop.com/boats-for-sale/2013-mb-b-52-21-widebody-boise-idaho-8054202/

Welcome to the forum! I have 4 kids similar in age range as you (12 years to 9 months). Our 2013 B52 21' accommodates my family and friends very well. It's one of the reasons I picked MB as the layout of their 21' interior maximizes space vs other brands. 

I don't believe there are any differences in the measurements of either of the two boats you're considering so your preference for traditional vs pickle fork style bow is the only difference in the hull.

The 2013 has many more hours so I would look and see if it has a lot more wear than the 2011. If so I would offer them a couple grand less or go with the 2011 if its in better shape. The trailer of the 2013 also looks more worn and has significant rust on the prop guard. 

Common maintenance issues are pretty well known. The ballast gates for both and the shaft seal for the 2013. Both are well documented on here. The ballast gates are not hard but the shaft seal may not be a DIY of you're not mechanical inclined.

I would also check the hull ID of the 2013 model (the last two digits tell you the model year). It has a 2012 style tower. MB is known for letting parts cross over the model year boundary so it certainly could be a 2013, but I would verify.    

What needs are you concerned about?  How many people it holds?  How well it surfs?  The wakeboard wake?

If it's size, obviously a B52 23' is going to hold more people but as I mentioned previously this particular design of the 21' model has nice capacity.  MB used to promote it as "the space of a 23' in 21'".  The new design for 2017+ is changed and not as accommodating in my opinion (more bow space by smaller elsewhere).  I've taken other families out which ends up putting 10-13 people on the boat and it works well.  That usually includes many kids who are smaller than adults but it sounds like you would be in a similar situation.

If your concern is the boats performance, neither of the boats have a surf system so if you decide you like surfing and get into it you're likely going to end up adding a surf system or wanting to upgrade the boat.  This is inevitable even if you buy a newer boat lol.  People want the latest features and get eager to upgrade.  The wakeboard wake on either of the boats will be good and will provide plenty of room for your crew to advance their skills.

I was more referring that I could half as much and buy an early 2000's boat, but would then likely turn around a buy a newer one anyways. Its hard to believe both are nearly $50k, even crazier to think other makes are even more expensive and older. I did come across a 2018 Sanger 215S Surf with 65hrs that is $60k and is set-up from factory with a surf system of some kind. My max budget though really is $50,000. Its hard to say if we are going to want to surf as none of of us have ever even tried it. I have to guess most of us will end up wanting to. It does seem however there are many posts out there on various forums that provide lots of info for different solutions to accomplish that. Do you surf your boat? 

Ah, okay makes sense.  Yes, the boat market has gone up dramatically over the last two decades with the growth of wake water sports.  And the last 1.5 years has gone even crazier with all the money printing the treasury is doing.  The positive side of that is that your boat isn't going to depreciate like a car so it's not bad for a depreciating asset.  I'm seeing quite a few more boats on the market now and you are buying at the start of the off season so I would definitely negotiate from the asking price.  Especially if your max budget is $50k.  You need to factor in that you're going to need gear like life vests, tubes, boards, bumpers, ropes, dock lines, maybe an anchor.  It all adds up.

I think either of the boats you linked would serve your family well.  Yes, there are many solutions to make an older boat without a surf system surf well.  You basically just need to add weight (ballast bags or lead) and put a surf wedge on the hull.  It looks like that is already being done on the 2011 with that black material (velcro?) on the side of the hull near the transom.  If you end up loving surfing and want to do it frequently eventually you get tired of pumping & draining water from your ballast bags and having to jump in the water to adhere your surf wedge to the side of the boat.  The integrated surf systems just make everything convenient and happen with the press of a button.  The good news is you can add a system to your boat for a few thousand $ if you decide you'd like something like this but don't want to upgrade to a new boat after just 1-2 seasons.

I've mostly done wakeboarding up to now.  I enjoy it much more than surfing as the speed and intensity is my preference.  My oldest daughter was able to get up surfing and really seems to enjoy it so we may start doing more.  I'm thinking of adding some "goose slappers" this off-season. http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php?/topic/4331-slappers-kcso-part-1/

On 10/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, tyrellgentry said:

I was more referring that I could half as much and buy an early 2000's boat, but would then likely turn around a buy a newer one anyways. Its hard to believe both are nearly $50k, even crazier to think other makes are even more expensive and older. I did come across a 2018 Sanger 215S Surf with 65hrs that is $60k and is set-up from factory with a surf system of some kind. My max budget though really is $50,000. Its hard to say if we are going to want to surf as none of of us have ever even tried it. I have to guess most of us will end up wanting to. It does seem however there are many posts out there on various forums that provide lots of info for different solutions to accomplish that. Do you surf your boat? 

In my experience with my first boat in 2017. I am not an all cash buyer, I needed financing. I was looking at 8 year old malibu's around that price which were nice, but not up to snuff with the surf features, stereo, finish etc. they would only do 8-10 year loans. New boats were able to do 20 year loans( I have no intention to keep a boat that long). So for me, it made sense to finance a new boat for the same payment as the 10 year old boat on a 10 year loan.  I still don't regret it. now we are on our 2nd (2020) .  IMO 23 foot is perfect for you and another family to be comfortable on the lake for the day.  Ive had the full 16 on board, its crowded but it works.  

Looks like they updated the pictures of the 2013 in Boise. Seems to be some scrapes and scuffs. Being new to the sport, are those imperfections that someone would expect for a boat that is 8 years old with 689hrs. https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/d/boise-2013-mb-b52-21/7390038132.html

@bloodiestcadaver I am running into the same issue actually. I would like to get the 2011 based on what seems to be the better condition and lower hours, but because its a few years older the length and interest rate are quite great. it also kind of puts the monthly payment a bit higher then we were really wanting. 

I would give the folks at Water Ski Pro Shop a call.  I worked with them on my first which is also my current boat and they were very honest and transparent. Ask to talk to Justin.

The little scuffs and dings cause me physical pain. Since it is already broken in, you won't be too upset if someone scratches your gel coat.

I have four kiddos and the 23 foot boat is excellent--nobody is on top of anyone. Plenty of space to bring friends along.

• 3 weeks later...