Slappers hinge question

I’m trying to finish gathering the rest of the parts I need to finish our gates. I really would like to go with black hinges since our boat is black and the gates will be also. What are your thoughts on the black ones as far as holding up? They say they are brass. Would I be better off just getting the stainless ones? If anyone has a link to the ones they use I would appreciate it. Maybe I’m just overthinking it ???

EC1686C5-5235-4948-98E1-A93AF311AE63.png

CF65269B-0787-4A83-BC7C-054BF146FA0E.png

I like your idea and would try an color match too if/when I do this project.  Brass is softer than stainless so hopefully they are thick enough.  Worst case if they bend too much you can replace them but I think you'll be fine.

Thanks AZ for the input. I’m trying to make it in blend in as much as possible and I have some ideas for the outsides of the gates too. I don’t want it to look like I have 2 cutting boards bolted up. I would think the brass would hold up in the water just concerned with the strength. Guess like u said I can replace them if needed. 

Lol @ cutting boards.  I completely agree that it is nice if you can give everything a finish that looks OEM and not backyard mechanic.  I couple of people on here did a few things to dress theirs up.  I think @NWCastleput Gatorstep on his previous boat.  You can find pics if you search or here is one from the current OnlyInboards listing.  https://www.onlyinboards.com/2014-MB-Sports-B52-23-for-sale-Oregon-City-Oregon-128887.aspx

@adam4x4 and @Kalen427 also put a nice finished on theirs.

Thanks again AZ. I’ve seen the one with gator step and definitely makes it look better. I don’t want the bolts to show on the outside. I may countersink them and cover it with gator step or something. My wife has a cricut machine but I’m not sure how well a sticker would stay on hdpe. 

Sounds like yours will have a nice finish to them whatever you decide.  Post some pics when you get done.  I may do this eventually since one of my daughters likes surfing and some day I'll be too old to wakeboard!

I’d err in the side of strength. Your hinges will undergo repeated sustained force, even the beefy hinges on our GSA tabs get bent pretty easily. (Pic from my F22 around 50 hrs).  

Why not get the stronger ones and have them powder coated?  Pretty inexpensive.  

IMG_20180811_191508_Original.jpg