Thruster

NWCastle

Well folks, it can be done.  I've been wanting this since  I ordered the Alpha.  It took a while to get all the parts and to get MB to buy off on it.  But, they did.  Hats off to Northwest Boat Sports for pulling this off.  Thanks gents!  I have not tested it yet.  Ryan has tested it after install and told me it pushes this boat really well and that it did not create power issues (these pull some amperage).  

4BFDDDCE-E32E-4354-9B61-6F5669A17112_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.80bafb547a151c592e28f1bef014b1b0.jpegCBBF0281-7638-421A-9291-DCE3E4CDA71F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f50b537d0ec2be4640c8cd668a024a9f.jpeg7EB41186-2590-462C-ADAF-65EBC7A8101E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.494afc6f24aed7e6ac11d58588b4881b.jpegD25A1B61-F9DC-4E53-94D9-BA2EA2A7D82B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4d8fb76d79f57876b28768a21a76c5a1.jpeg092A2660-E0EB-407C-8DBD-0E2200E46DD2_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0c3098c775d53c9d9a7aa11c19101810.jpeg

Yup, I'm curious (and a bit worried) that it will mess with the wave.  Looking at the geometry, I'm hopeful that it won't.  Someone had to be the test dummy!  I'll report back on that.  If anyone is curious, the entire job was $7500- 8ish including the custom controls from Livorsi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, NWCastle said:

I notice that they put it on the other side.  Any particular reason?

Just a guess on my part based on the pics but it looks like there's slightly more room on that side due to the surf pipe and transom light. Did you have to move your port side transom light over? Looks like jcoles is in a different spot.  

Game changer and performs. I got the livorsi controls in the throttle, same setup as yours.

Super natural and easy to use. make pulling up to the dock / slipping / everything easier. Haven’t used surfing but can imagine it’ll be huge setting up lines  for my rookie ass.

Takes about 3-4 seconds of push to get moving, and then it seems like about a foot of swing every 2-3 seconds. Those feet in a tight scenario (especially with a rookie helmsman) are clutch. 

Worth the cost just for reversing into the slip with a bigger rig for the space. Everything else is upside / margin. 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:38 PM, AZ_MB said:

Just a guess on my part based on the pics but it looks like there's slightly more room on that side due to the surf pipe and transom light. Did you have to move your port side transom light over? Looks like jcoles is in a different spot.  

I think they did move my light to get it over there.  I think the strategy was to stay as close to the batteries as possible.  I'm sure it doesn't make that much difference.  I was told that you have to leave the switch to battery 2 or your risk voltage issues.  Were you all told the same?  I think replacing the batteries with lithiums down the road would solve that.  

On 4/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, NWCastle said:

I think they did move my light to get it over there.  I think the strategy was to stay as close to the batteries as possible.  I'm sure it doesn't make that much difference.  I was told that you have to leave the switch to battery 2 or your risk voltage issues.  Were you all told the same?  I think replacing the batteries with lithiums down the road would solve that.  

Now I’m curious so I’ll ask my guy about location selection. Not sure where the batteries are on the alpha 23’s, but on the 24 it’s right in front of the motor accessed via a hatch under the folding rear seat. 

Nothing on batteries either - I’ve been using it on all, not only one battery. 

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to the TBS mechanics in Utah the other day about a thruster. They said their biggest drawback is the tremendous draw it puts  on the electrical system. Their concern is it causing electrical problems in other area of the boat. I hope you guys continue to give us updates as the season continues!!!! I'm so tempted!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on the thruster.  I finally got to put the boat in the water and run it.  My buddy has a G23 with a factory thruster and mine way outperforms his.  That thruster really pushes the stern fast!  It is also much quieter than his.  

I see lots of concern about the power draw.  I have had zero issues.  I keep the boat on "all" for the batteries and so far, I've had no glitches.  I can imagine if you sat there doing donuts with the thruster that you may get into a power situation but most people don't use it that way.  This thing is a dream for tricky docking and when the wind gets you messed up picking up a rider.   

I am super pleased and would do this again.

• 2 weeks later...

NWCastle

Seen you on Mayfield 7/30    We were both in the Cove area chilling

Thruster is Amazing, I had Ryan put it on before we ever picked up in March

I also run in "All"     Thing moves the boat quickly for sure

• 3 months later...