New Propeller Suggestions

I have a 2012 B52 23V, PCM 343, and we boat at a 3000' lake. I have the 1433 Acme, which is 14 x 14.25, 105 cup. When I have the factory ballast full, extra 400# sack in locker, and 10 to 12 people it struggles a little to get on plane when surfing. I need to put several bodies in the nose to control the rooster tail and get on plane quicker. I don't have the trim plate, so moving people is all I can do. I am thinking of changing props to get better response out of the hole. ACME recommended going to the 2079, which is 14.5 diameter, 12" pitch, and 105 cup. That seems like a lot to change, going up .5" in diameter and also dropping to 12" pitch. Anyone running a prop as aggressive as the 2079? Any other props you like better on the 23V?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that's what she said?

1. It's a piece of cake - you'll need to buy a prop puller from a local marina or you can get one from acme. I also recommend buying a spare cotter pin and brass spacer which can get lost. You'll also

my original FAE (PCM single straight outlet) looked like this:   http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/shawndoggy/43678e04.jpg[/img]   significantly reduced noise behind the boat, but also tota

Posted Images

On Acme's advice I swapped my stock 1433 for a 2315 (15 diameter x 12 pitch x 105 cup).

I'm on a 2013 24 Tomcat with the 410 hp Indmar at 5000' carrying an additional 2000 lbs of ballast on top of the stock configuration for surfing. I have the wake plate

The difference is night & day. The boat struggled stock to get to speed and then struggled to maintain speed at around 3200-3300 rpm. With the new prop, the boat comes out of the hole like we had no ballast, it holds speed like a champ and the rpms dropped to around 2900rpm. Wakeboarders like this prop too for the much quicker hole shot under stock ballast.

The downside is that my top end speed dropped approx 4-5mph but that's of little concern to me. I can still hit 35mph, and no sane person is slaloming behind my 24.

I don't know the prop to hull clearance on the 23 but the 24 has quite a bit of room. Acme advised a minimum of 3/4" between the prop and the hull. Even with the 15" prop I have over 3/4" on my 24.

So to summarize, I think you'd be really happy with the prop Acme is recommending and I bet they'd refund your money if you're not. They've been great to work with.

As a slight drift to this thread (it is the internet, right?), last weekend I pulled our 1433 off and put our OJ fusion back on (the fusion was my spare prop which I put on the boat right after I got it, pulling the acme 537 that came factory installed).

Holeshot is down significantly despite the two props' similar specs (1433: 14x14.25 105 cup; Fusion: 14.25x14.5 120 cup). The fusion doesn't look that much "taller" on paper, but it feels it on the water.

That said, the fusion seems to have reduced my fuel consumption by more than a gallon an hour. I'm going to try to be more scientific, but for the three prior days, I'd put 27 gallons in the boat before the tank was full. After putting the fusion on, I'm at about 18 gallons.

We've got two back to back weekend trips planned at lower altitude and the fusion is going to be fine. Cruising RPMs are down significantly (empty I can do around 30 at around 3500, vs the 1433 which would howl away at 4k as soon as we hit 28). For lakes above 4k' (or if I rode as heavy as you guys are), it is a no-go.

Our lakes tend to have a lot of cruising to get to the riding spots (20-30 minutes), and I'd imagine that a 2315 would chew through 9 gallons an hour at 30mph.

Thanks for the replies. That is a monster prop you are running on your 24' Tomcat! I can see you needing it for that boat though, it is almost battleship class. Shawn, I am surprised that the two props feel that different being so close in specs. You find the holeshot is better with the OJ, and it is more fuel efficient? That is a great combination. I will have to do some testing this weekend with my stock prop and see just how long it takes to get to 11.5 mph with a full crew and ballast. And it may not seem like a lot, but the 400# bag does help the wave quite a bit. I have two 1100# bags but I have yet to install them. My endgame is to put the 1100# bags in the lockers and the 400# bag in the nose under the seats. I know I won't be able to fill it, but I should be able to get a few hundred pounds in it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim at Acme just sent me a 15 x 14.25 to try - sort of like the big brother to the 1433. He & I are both curious if it can provide similar low-end performance as the 15x12, but with a bit more top end speed and perhaps even better fuel economy.

On the other hand, he said I may hate it.

I plan on doing the swap this weekend but have a feeling I'll be sticking with the 15x12

No no no, sorry if it read that way. The fusion holeshot is down noticeably from the 1433's. The fusion does fine holding speed, but out of the hole wakeboarding, the boat takes an extra beat to pull me up. Not terrible, but it's not going to yank your arms out like the 1433 can (full tank of gas, 700lbs human ballast, tanks half-ish full).

If you want to go max supertanker weight like that with the ex343 I think you are going to have to really overprop it to have a stump pulling holeshot.

Shawndag

So I have a stock 13.5x16 Oj I believe?? on my 06 ZR6 2 speed, Im waiting for pete to chime in and see if he had ever re propped his older MB. I dont belive he had.

I mostly surf and have never rally had any issues with the boat getting people and ballast out of the wwater, but a little more hole shot would never hurt.

I want a spare prop this summer, I just dont want my rpms to go up too much higher, I am in the 3800ish range in high gear at 11mph some what slammed. The OJ 14.25x14.5 120 cup you ran seems to be an ok prop?

wakedirt, you have a different hull, motor, and tranny from me. So I really don't have any idea how a larger, lower pitched prop would react on your boat.

My guess is that you'd see lower rpms surfing because the stock prop is likely slipping when weighted (though higher rpms / slower top speed when wide open), but that's purely a guess.

Maybe call Eric @ OJ? or Spencer @ wakeprops? Both are very knowledgeable and helpful in my experience.

It's remarkable what a difference in prop can make...

last night I swapped my 15 x 12 for the 15x14.

The 15x14 still gets the job done, and is far superior to the stock 1433, but there was a noticeable change in the hole shot and it didn't hold speed quite as well. Both props surfed at 2900 rpm under heavy surf ballast, much better than the 3200-3300 with the stock 1433. I did gain back about 5mph on the top end with the higher pitch, as expected.

Interestingly, all on the boat thought the surfwave never looked better - so I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in the wave quality by changing pitch, or did we just have too many beers?

guys,

i need to get a new prop asap. my boat lift installer damaged my prop. that's another story, but i am not sure what i am looking for. anybody with info on a few questions i would appreciate it:

1)i am new to this, so how hard is it to replace by yourself? tips, tricks, tools, etc...

2) is there a way to determine what prop you have or need to replace? does MB have a stock spec for a prop for each boat? (mine is a 2007 B52 V23)

thanks.

1. It's a piece of cake - you'll need to buy a prop puller from a local marina or you can get one from acme. I also recommend buying a spare cotter pin and brass spacer which can get lost. You'll also need a big crescent wrench, needle nose pliers to remove the cotter pin and maybe a hammer to tap the prop forward if it doesn't want to come off.

2. I'd suggest either calling Acme or wakeprops.com for a prop suggestion

In general - the slower you go the mushier/softer the water becomes. Larger diameter props have more surface area and hence a bigger bite for the softer medium. From 14" dia to 15" dia the circular surface area grows from 154 sq in to 177 sq in. Thats 15% more grab on the water. It is actually much higher since the prop blades overlap each other in the logitudinal axis.

Conclusion - The slower you plan to go, the larger diameter prop will be more efficient.

Enough theory though. - Size does matter!

Squeaky - I agree with the lower RPM = cleaner wave. Makes sense - less churning of the water(If your motor can swing it). I think all else equal, if you are staying with the slower speeds, larger dia w/ lower pitch beats smaller dia w/ higher pitch. But I could be wrong. I'm no scientist.