Car stereo help

hawkdad22

Hey guys. I remember there used to be some pretty smart peeps on here regarding all things stereo.  Any help would be appreciated.  I used to install a bunch back in the day with CD players etc, but I’m old and my son wants a system so we plan to make it a project.  All the new integrated stereos seem way more confusing than I remember.  Need like some form of converters now and speaker wires turn into rcas or something lol.  Idk  I’m so out of touch with the way these new systems work. Any diy links would be appreciated.  Single 10” sub recommendation and component speaks and amp Suggestions also.  He has a 2013 Subaru Impreza.  Trying not to break the bank here so don’t need competition level sound, just want some added bass and figured it would make sense to at least upgrade the front component speakers as well.  TIA

Not really much has changed. Built nice systems for both my driving kids. For single sub I like the Mono Alpine 500 or 600 Watt amp. Go for the alpine ILXW650. Don't forget the Parking brake bypass module. For best value I like Kicker pre Loaded sub enclosures. JL audio if you want to go high end. Separates I like the Focal stuff.

9 hours ago, Birddog7.62 said:

Not really much has changed. Built nice systems for both my driving kids. For single sub I like the Mono Alpine 500 or 600 Watt amp. Go for the alpine ILXW650. Don't forget the Parking brake bypass module. For best value I like Kicker pre Loaded sub enclosures. JL audio if you want to go high end. Separates I like the Focal stuff.

Parking brake bypass module? Wtf is that lol. It’s clearly all changed 

14 hours ago, hawkdad22 said:

Parking brake bypass module? Wtf is that lol. It’s clearly all changed 

the new head units disable certain features while you are driving. this tricks the system in the thinking the parking brake is on so those feature are always on. I wont run a new head unit without it.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:39 AM, Birddog7.62 said:

the new head units disable certain features while you are driving. this tricks the system in the thinking the parking brake is on so those feature are always on. I wont run a new head unit without it.

Ah!!  Like the Bluetooth connection stuff.  Smart!  Thanks for the tip.