Trailer brakes on both axles?

mxvet

I recently ordered a new 23' WB. The trailer has been a sticky point for me since I had issues with my last CTW trailer.

Last trailer for a 21' TWB, had brakes on both axles. Sounds like a lot of trailers are built with brakes only on one axle. I can't image towing a 6000# boat w/o brakes on both axles.

How many of you have brakes on both axles?

My last boat was a 27 foot Crownline that was close to 7000 pounds and it only had brakes on one axle. My current F21 only has brakes on one axle. What are you towing with? That might be a huge factor on how many brakes you have. When I was towing the Crownline with my older lifted suburban, it got a little nerve racking. It could barely stop itself. Now I have the duramax with the Allison transmission and couldn't feel either boat. Another factor is where are you towing to. If its up a ton of hills, and a smaller vehicle, more brakes would be better. Get what you want, but I would bet way more people have brakes on one axle and are just fine.

Some states require both axles have brakes. The tandem trailers in CO I've seen, be it utility or boat, have brakes on both axles.

I have a late model Ford F350 diesel and felt that the CTW trailer I had with brakes all around was necessary. Be interesting to compare to a trailer with only one set (that work!).

I am working on putting on electrically controlled hydraulically actuated brakes this winter. I have a power mover that I use to get the boat in and out of the garage. My driveway is slanted and the power mover doesn't have brakes. All I need to do is add the new actuator. I would get two benefits this way. One would be having brakes on the driveway and the other would be more control over the trailer brakes going down the road.

2012 F21 Tomcat with a Boatmate trailer' date=' has torsion axles, 18" wheels and dual axle disc brakes. Love it!!![/quote']

I have a 23TWB with Boatmate, torsion axle, 18" wheels and dual brakes as well. I had single axle prior to this and what a difference - the trailer actually feels like it is stopping the tow vehicle instead of the other way around....

post-27512-136407196441_thumb.jpg