Jump to content

Possibly buying 13 B52


Spolly07

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone this is my first post here, I am looking at picking up a 2013 B52, I’ve read about the towers cracking, and motor mounts on the 5.7 and was curious of anything else to look for, Iam new to direct drive boats so this is all a little new to me. Boat is flawless inside and out, Iam pretty excited about it but trying to do my research prior. 
Only other small concern which Iam not overly worried about is a lot of the lakes we visit are fairly shallow. I am pretty knowledgeable on all the places I need to worry about but curious how much draft (30in?) these boats have typically 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Spolly07 said:

Hey everyone this is my first post here, I am looking at picking up a 2013 B52, I’ve read about the towers cracking, and motor mounts on the 5.7 and was curious of anything else to look for, Iam new to direct drive boats so this is all a little new to me. Boat is flawless inside and out, Iam pretty excited about it but trying to do my research prior. 
Only other small concern which Iam not overly worried about is a lot of the lakes we visit are fairly shallow. I am pretty knowledgeable on all the places I need to worry about but curious how much draft (30in?) these boats have typically 

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! A '13 B52 is a good choice! 😉

I have a '13 B52 21' so I can share a few details. How many hours does the boat you're looking at have on it? If it has very many the motor mounts should have been replaced already by the current owner. This is a known problem that Indmar had and pretty much everyone has had to replace theirs. As for the tower cracks, this has only happened to some and is not something that everyone will experience. You definitely don't want to mount speakers across the top cross bar as it is not designed to hold the load. I would visually inspect the top cross bars for cracks at and near the weld points. If all looks good, then the tower is likely okay, but it is an issue that can develop for some.  @Hyperryd added reinforcements to his when he bought a boat with that style tower. The pics on here if you search for them.

The shaft seal is the only other major issue to be aware of. The OEM seal has a short life and most of us replaced it. Here is a good thread on that http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php?/topic/5405-glide-bearings-dripless-shaft-seal/

The other issues are minor. The button to release the board racks does get sticky sometimes and has to be disassembled and cleaned. I replaced mine with the 2014+ style to avoid the maintenance. Gate valves can get a little sticky too and annual lubrication is a good idea.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome info I definitely appreciate it, the boat currently has 320 hours the current order said he never replaced them, so Iam unsure, I plan to pick it up this Friday and go from there. The boat looks flawless on the outside and inside for the year. I’ll contact the dealer he bought it from and see if there was any warranty work done already. I’ll look into the shaft seal as this is my first legit wake boat, coming from a scarab jet boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also have a 13 23'. As stated above motor mounts and an alignment are a must. Towers cracking happen, inspect it, and keep an eye on it. Ballast gates are known to go bad as stated above, replacing them with the upgraded ones would be high on my list. Other than that I would do a once over of consumables and replace: impeller, spark plugs,(Maybe wires), thermostat and an oil change. That way you know you are starting fresh with all those items and can track when to do them next. 

Does the boat have a surf system or additional ballast installed? Trim tab? 

You picked a great boat, they can be made into surf monsters. They also throw a fantastic wakeboard wake with stock ballast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.php?/topic/6310-2013-mb-sports-b52-23-53995/

 

I believe this is the exact boat, the man who showed me the boat said the owner had it regularly serviced from the dealer. I believe tomorrow I am calling edge marine to just see if they will provide any service history. I also want to pick up a service manual and gather all the info I can. 
 

@BigBlue52

I appreciate the advice I’ll look into everything you said. I added a picture I don’t believe any tabs have been added 

502579A4-A7EE-4EDD-BACA-58BA6D677595.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sharp looking boat! Yup looks just like mine did before I started drilling holes for surf tabs/trim tabs. That boat will still surf amazingly without a tab system, it just needs to be listed. Good luck! Hope she ends up coming home with you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2023 at 11:03 AM, BigBlue52 said:

Other than that I would do a once over of consumables and replace: impeller, spark plugs,(Maybe wires), thermostat and an oil change. That way you know you are starting fresh with all those items and can track when to do them next.

How often do you change your spark plugs and thermostat? I've never done mine but still have <300 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do spark plugs every spring... probably over kill but its a 15 min job. Thermostat gets swapped out every other season with my impeller. Once again probably overkill but I'm right there working so might as well do it. I have over 1000hrs on my boat. Its all cheap insurance for a smooth summer, nothing ever goes wrong when its just you on the boat, always happens where there is a full crew. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Questions I have, 

1. has anyone added trailer steps to a 13-? Trailer ? Pics ? I did a search didn’t find anything 

2. Where can I find a manual for engine and boat- wiring schematic would be awesome as I work in the Petro chemical industry daily.

3. With this boat what would you upgrade? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steps? Are you taking about near the bow like some have? There are small ones by the fenders. Looking for a place for passengers to enter before launching? You can email indmar and they may help you out with a manual/schematic etc. If you want to surf you will need at minimum a suck gate. There is a big write up on “slappers” which would be an upgrade. Just finished installing slappers on our 13’. Boat looks awesome love the black and red. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, B128 said:

Steps? Are you taking about near the bow like some have? There are small ones by the fenders. Looking for a place for passengers to enter before launching? You can email indmar and they may help you out with a manual/schematic etc. If you want to surf you will need at minimum a suck gate. There is a big write up on “slappers” which would be an upgrade. Just finished installing slappers on our 13’. Boat looks 

The previous owner was super cool, he gave me his sick gate he had, I might end up doing the slappers, 

yea I was speaking of the front ladder steps on the trailer, not a huge deal, more so for myself then people boarding the boat.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slappers and a trim tab might be the single most improvement for the $ on these boats. There is also a writeup on wake garage on automating the system, I HIGHLY Recommend taking the time to do the automation. It makes driving the boat sooo much easier. Toss a 750 in each rear locker and some lead up front and you have a wave that will run with any of the new high $$$ boats. 

image000000.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...