2001 MB Sports 220v purchase HELP!

stevenrue

Hi all, looking for a bit of help if you could be so kind.

I am interested in buying a local 2001 220v. Looks to be in very mint condition for a 2001, only 225 hours on it. It has the built in ballast tanks at 800 a side for total of 1600. It has a taps style dual trim system on it as well. A half decent stereo with sub and some tower speakers. A regular moorage cover, and bimini top. Dual axle trailer as well.

It really is only missing perfect pass which can be installed. The fellow is asking $25000 for it which to me seems pricey he claims because of the low hours.

So questions or opinions would be appreciated. Specifically on, how is this boat for surfing if you have been behind one(he of course says its great). How is the wake for boarding? Does anyone know the specific specs, seating capacity and such? I have found differing info on the specs on different websites(wish MB was like tige and has a nice section with specs for each boat and year). How does this seem price wise?

I have a friend with a 2006 b52 and I love it! More for the layout and build quality, his surf wave is huge but short but the boat itself is amazing. Anyway thanks for all the help, hope to be joining the MB family soon!

Steven

Steven,

I bought a totally stock 2003 220V with the PCM 330 Excalibur motor 2 years ago this month. It had 139 hrs and we paid $25K. I think you are right about your 2001 being overpriced. Does it have anything else that would up the value? i.e motor upgrade? Mine has all of the features you describe except tower speakers and the trim system. If it still has the stock ballast pumps, plan on changing those out. I think our stock pumps took 20+ minutes to fill. With Johnson pumps now I can fill the tanks in 7-8 min. You will need more than the stock 1600lbs to surf with a descent wave. You will also need to change the stock prop which has no low end pull. Check the trailer tires as well. If they are original, they should be replaced. The rubber breaks down over 13 yrs. Things like that will set you back even more.

As far as seating capacity. I have stuck to 13 but I don't have any documentation on that. The wakeboard wake is fantastic with the tanks full. You'll need some nose weight to plane out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Scot

I would keep looking if your truly wanting to surf and or board. I would think you could find a good used B52 team edition at a little more $.

Jo,

Is this from experience that you speak? Have you riden one of these or are you just suggesting? I may self do a bit of knee boarding and have attempted surfing but cant seem to do it(I am in a wheelchair personally). But would like the option if my friends want to surf.

Cost wise I just really like the layout of the boat, like MBs and this is a price point I would like to be in at. $25,000 is about tops I want to spend I just think this one should be a bit cheaper. Seeing it this weekend finally now the weather is better so hopefully that answers a few questions.

I picked up a 2002 B52 that I found on Craigslist last summer for $21,000. It only had 295 hours on it. It also had new tires on the trailer and a new bimini top! It came with a wake surf board, a wake board and a whole bunch of life jackets as well as fenders and ropes. I had to fix one trim tab and rebuild both ballast pumps. I think you can do much better!