Garage height? Heated garage?

I searched, as I'm sure this has been covered many times. So for that I appologize.

We are building a house, in the third bay, I plan to have a boat some day.

Will most modern wake boats fit through a 8x8' opening? Or do I need to go bigger? Planning to do 24' deep, hoping to kick that bay out to 26', we will see.

Also, we are doing radiant heating in the floors, so the garage will be heated the same... Do I need to winterize a boat then? Or can I just leave it be?

Thanks for any info.

As far as height goes, you should be able to get most boats through it - just depends on wheel size. Maybe someone will reply with the height they have now and their larger size wheels. I don't have the new tower (new tower will fold down lower than my tower) and I have stock 14 inch wheels and can get my boat in my 7ft entry after lowering the tire pressure. It's a bit of a pain for me as my driveway is sloped and I think that hurts me.

For the heated question, I think that you will be fine without winterizing it. I live outside of Phoenix, AZ and have my garage walls, doors and ceiling insulated really well and don't winterize. Depending on how warm it is in your garage, you should be fine.

Your going to need wider than 8 feet. Most wake boats are around or over 100" beams.

8' tall will likely work with the tower folded down

Glad I asked, that would have been a huge mistake. The house will have 9' ceilings, I'll have to see if I can get the ceiling 10' in the garage, then do a 9x9 door... I hate to get too far off the norm, I'll have to price them out.

As far as height goes, you should be able to get most boats through it - just depends on wheel size. Maybe someone will reply with the height they have now and their larger size wheels. I don't have the new tower (new tower will fold down lower than my tower) and I have stock 14 inch wheels and can get my boat in my 7ft entry after lowering the tire pressure. It's a bit of a pain for me as my driveway is sloped and I think that hurts me.

For the heated question, I think that you will be fine without winterizing it. I live outside of Phoenix, AZ and have my garage walls, doors and ceiling insulated really well and don't winterize. Depending on how warm it is in your garage, you should be fine.

Thanks for the info, I as well will have it all insulated, My thought was to set the thermostat to 50 and leave it in the winter months. We get about five months of 30's-50's. With a few nights in the 20's. Slopped driveways are brutal, but I'm sure your boat is appreciative of the protection your garage provides, mine will have a wicked turn around and about 40 yards of backing up to the garage. That's one reason I'm hoping to get the dimensions correct in hopes of minimizing the hassle, I hope the hassle will be in backing up and hanging gear to dry.

How do you guys feel about 24' length? You guys with 23' boats, think it would be a hassle in a 24' garage? Swing tongue and remove platform?

I really appreciate your guys' info and experiences.

A typical 23' boat is usually measured from the tip of the bow to the back of the stern and as you mentioned, does not include the swim platform.

The platform is not hard to remove at all (couple of quick disconnect pins and it's off).

But the other things to think about are any add ons on the back of the boat like Fresh air exhaust, cav plate, surf devices, etc.. Which will add length to the boat.

If I was building a house and knew there would be a 23' boat in their someday, I would make it a minimum of 26' deep. Just sayin :)

I agree with SD and Midnight....go big, as big as you can.  If the budget is tight, tell the wife that you can always add kitchen cabinets later but you can't make the garage bigger.  

As for heat, it is a great idea to have the heat and I would do it too.  My shop is insulated but I rarely use any heat.  It takes a stretch of days of freezing weather before I need to turn it on.  I don't winterize my boat and haven't used heat the last couple of winters because it hasn't been that cold for that long.

A typical 23' boat is usually measured from the tip of the bow to the back of the stern and as you mentioned, does not include the swim platform.

The platform is not hard to remove at all (couple of quick disconnect pins and it's off).

But the other things to think about are any add ons on the back of the boat like Fresh air exhaust, cav plate, surf devices, etc.. Which will add length to the boat.

If I was building a house and knew there would be a 23' boat in their someday, I would make it a minimum of 26' deep. Just sayin :)

Great thoughts, thank you I didn't consider that stuff. I believe 26 will be my max depth. 

And if I knew I could go 26, I'd got 30, just cuz.

I don't think I can go that deep, we are dealing with property lines and setbacks...

I agree with SD and Midnight....go big, as big as you can.  If the budget is tight, tell the wife that you can always add kitchen cabinets later but you can't make the garage bigger.  

As for heat, it is a great idea to have the heat and I would do it too.  My shop is insulated but I rarely use any heat.  It takes a stretch of days of freezing weather before I need to turn it on.  I don't winterize my boat and haven't used heat the last couple of winters because it hasn't been that cold for that long.

Agreed, those are good considerations, the wife is on board. So hopefully we will have some plans on Monday or Tuesday, so I'll post a picture to give you guys some entertainment. Thanks for the information guys!