Electric Hatch Repair/Replace?

Hey Guys- hope everybody was able to get a little water time this weekend!!  The electric hatch lift on my 2008 220V failed at the end of last season which I need to either repair or replace.  Mine is a Thomson DM 12.  I have not measured it but I think the stroke is 20-24 inches.  I tested the switch and there is power to the actuator so I suspect the motor just died.  The web shows that replacement parts are available for a motor kit and kit.  

My question is has anybody tried to repair a non-op lift?  Any advice on sourcing parts?  I've just started calling around this morning.

I'm also just wondering if you think I'm wasting my time with repair - should i just bite the bullet and replace the entire unit?  I guess that really depends on the availability parts.  

Any info/experience greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

RJ

post-1872-0-05246300-1427119164_thumb.jpg

thanks pickle.  I will give them a call.  No luck so far with the industrial distrbutors listed on the Thomson web site.  The electric lift is a cool feature, but a PITA when they fail.  After surfing some of the offshore boat suppliers looking for parts it's apparent MB could have engineered this a little better. 

Hey Smokinjo -

Yes - i thought about conversion.  Then I did some whiteboard math as far as cost of 2 heavy duty long-throw gas lift assists, mounting accessories, plus any fabrication and install time and decided to bite the bullet and simply replace the actuator.  On my boat the entire "rear deck" is one piece.  When you raise the engine cover both of the locker doors go up too.  It's pretty heavy.

The complete kits are available from the off shore boating suppliers and I saw one on eBay.  $350 seems to be the going rate.  It's plug and play and shouldn't be more than 15 minutes to replace the bolts and plug in the power.  Plus it will be "factory" when I decide to trade up to a new ride.

I'm going to follow up with a few of the distributors that Thomson lists on their website for replacement parts.  However, given that 3 guys told me they'd call Thomson and "get right back" to me, i'm not holding my breath.