2016 MB Exile Digital Media Center Question... Transom Controls?

I am VERY close to purchasing a 2016 MB B52 23' with the new EXile setup.  It no longer has your typical head unit, just the round Exile Digital Media Center(DMC).

My question is, can you hook up a transom control to the DMC?  Maybe purchase another DMC and to mount back there and they somehow 'speak' to each other??

I really want transom controls as we hang out on the back a LOT!

i'm waiting for mine to show up and i've been thinking about adding a second digital media center to the transom and running it to the Aux input on the ZLD. I'd have to pair the device/phone to the transom unit while we're floating in the back but that's not the end of the world.

The DMC is wired to the EQ as an auxiliary input via RCA cables. You could easily install another DMC unit, but it would be set up as a separate input to the EQ. Before heading to the transom, you would just select the other input. I don't think you could get the two DMC's to talk to each other.

CFM

Mark trust me, anything is better than that piece of crap factory Clarion. I'm thinking of trying to retrofit the 16 set up or I think it might look cool to have a Fusion head unit in place of the Clarion one. Either way though, with all units having Bluetooth, there's not really a need for a transom remote. I have a Lifeproof cover on my iPhone and control everything at the back of the boat from it.

there's not really a need for a transom remote. I have a Lifeproof cover on my iPhone and control everything at the back of the boat from it.

Lifeproof (and other cases) give you the waterproof aspect but your phone will still sink if it falls in.

Transom remote is a must for me. Anyone come up with a solution on the 16's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to getting the boat and tackling this in a few weeks.  I was originally thinking of adding a second Exile media center for $100 at the transom connected to the Aux input on the zone controller.

I'm not sure if there would be pairing issues with 2 media centers close to each other so I'm still thinking of something along those lines but doesn't have to be limited to the Exile media center.   The MB Quart N1-WBT or GMR1 seem to be pretty decent units also at the $100 price range.

The Kicker PXiBT50 has a remote as well as USB for audio and charging, 3.5 AUX in, 2 chnl RCA output and can also drive up to two pair of speakers. Been out for a couple if years, so its a proven piece of gear. It its 3-wire hookup with ground, constent B+ and switched B+. Has a remote turn-on output for amps and EQ. Its basically a hide-away head-unit so way more then just a BT gateway.

http://kicker.com/40PXIBT502

Come Dec, i think we are going to see even more options along these lines. 

Rally, on the life proof they sell a "life jacket" that keeps your phone a float.

However, I was still interested in the true solution so I put a phone call into Exile. Natalie did not know the answer, but has Brian getting back in touch with me. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything.

the answer to what? Whether you can use this as a transom remote?  You cannot.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805310

• 1 month later...

Mark trust me, anything is better than that piece of crap factory Clarion. I'm thinking of trying to retrofit the 16 set up or I think it might look cool to have a Fusion head unit in place of the Clarion one. Either way though, with all units having Bluetooth, there's not really a need for a transom remote. I have a Lifeproof cover on my iPhone and control everything at the back of the boat from it.

This will not work for two reasons.

1.  Lifeproof cover is too bog.  I dont like carrying a VCR in my pocket

2.  The phone will overheat in our TX heat on the back deck.

I dont understand why in the world they did not add the ability to add transom controls

I dont understand why in the world they did not add the ability to add transom controls

You need to first know, that Exile did not design or manufacture anything here. They simply sought out the source, which others are also using, and did their own one off with their own label. What this means is that the component released is going to be the original designer/manufacturer puts out. To add custom features that deviate from the original design, would cost money in both R&D and tooling. At that point, its open to others using it, as you still arent the designer/manufacturer and the cost to the consumer goes up. Second, if you've seen the back end of this unit, I doubt theirs room for adding in a means for redundant remote controls.  

got a link for the non exile version, wylie?

Cerwin Vega displayed this at the CES back in January. 

http://cerwinvegamobile.com/all-products/rpm-series/recreation/recreation-bluetooth.html

MB Quart has 2 very similar devices. 

So does MTX

https://www.mtx.com/mudbtrc-universal-bluetooth-receiver-and-remote-control

• 3 months later...

Saw these on display at the 2016 CES on Froday. I also saw it under another label. I spoke with reps in both booths about a remote and they both said about the same thing. 

The actual manufacturer is looking into a redundant remote option. Problem is space in the current chassis, as in the part behind the dash.  I also spoke with the Cerwin Vega rep, who released it @ last year's CES, he said it was being looked into, to link two units.

0108161147_zps0tgrmcr8.jpg

Oh boy - there is a lot of crazy information here. Some on point. some off the depend.

@OP - the DMC is part of a 2 piece solution that replaced the Clarion Decks in the '15's and forward on the MB lineup. think of it as a tiny Deck with bluetooth built into it. Thats all it is. It feeds the Exile ZLD eq on the main input and that device gves you 3 zone control of the stereo. We designed area around the dash to accept this specific setup and for many its a home run. The DMC pairs very fast. It's very efficient and has APTX codec's and kick butt range. ----> Exile also designed a standard Din dash setup for MB that can accept a deck that could be paired with any after market deck that uses the puck style transom remote that is IPX67 rated. You can find those decks on amazon for a few hundred bucks and cut a big ole hole in the transom and mount the remote.  Thats your first option. Your second option would be to use a second DMC and just wire it back to your built int ZLD. So if you wanted full deck control. buy your MB with the Din setup. and choose whatever deck you desire. Or spend 100 bucks and add on the second DMC. 

As for all the dis info, miss info, same as brand XYZ info. You all will see many companies jump on the band wagon when stuff works. We first added the EXBT4 about 8 months ago. We where the first to PASS FCC 4.0 testing (look at the FCC ID on the case). When other manufactures see that happen they jump all over the same housings. That box our electronics is in is an open tool (read free). And the BT chipset is the SMDrev6. There are about 6 different build houses that use it and put 6 different circuits inside it. Wyliee> open a couple of these bluetooths up and you'll see what I'm talking about. on a hide it product it really makes zero sense to retool. I actually got a phone call from Larry over at Cerwin asking our results with the piece. I said, by all means use it. It's fully IPX proven by us. Manufacturers are looking for what works and to save costs where possible.. I know of no manufacture building BT devices currently in the USA for mobile or marine. 

As for a dedicated Exile Transom remote?  I think you'll see some spy shots in mid '16. Right now we just got finished tooling a new new speaker from the ground up. I'm still licking my wounds from that tooling bill lol. It wasn't cheap.

And the BT chipset is the SMDrev6. There are about 6 different build houses that use it and put 6 different circuits inside it. Wyliee> open a couple of these bluetooths up and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Im down for that. Do you still have my shipping address or do I need to send it to you? I'll be looking for you to send me one. In the mean time, Ive got the metra unit already ordered, i'll get the C/V and JL units ordered as well. Im happy to crack them all open and compare the guts, if you are ready to see the results hit the internet. I will also bench test all the units to see if they also meet the advertised specs. I have nothing to gain or lose, other than finding out if one is better then the other or are they all the same.