On the bright side, I knew I had spun a bearing and had to strap up to get it to the dealer.

The last time this happened I was on a bridge when the bearing flamed out and ended up roasting the spindle which required a full axle replacement. Hopefully this time it's just new bearings vs a new axle.

Nerve-racking

In the phrasal adjective nerve-racking, rack is again used in the sense meaning to torture. Something that is nerve-racking tortures the nerves or figuratively stretches them.

Wrack, again, makes some sense, though. We can think of nerve-wracking as meaning wrecking the nerves instead of torturing the nerves, in which case the spelling is perfectly justifiable. But this doesn’t change the fact that nerve-racking is the original form, the more common one, and the one that is generally preferred in edited writing, for what that’s worth.

Nerve-racking

In the phrasal adjective nerve-racking, rack is again used in the sense meaning to torture. Something that is nerve-racking tortures the nerves or figuratively stretches them.

Wrack, again, makes some sense, though. We can think of nerve-wracking as meaning wrecking the nerves instead of torturing the nerves, in which case the spelling is perfectly justifiable. But this doesn’t change the fact that nerve-racking is the original form, the more common one, and the one that is generally preferred in edited writing, for what that’s worth.

Nice.

Next up - have someone Google "colloquial" and then have them help you ponder your confusion.