Water Through Transom Into K&N, Advice?

Looking for some shade tree mechanic advice.  The guy that boat my F22 took a roller from behind while his engine was running.  Water poured through that vent on the transom directly into the K&N and the engine died.  He tried to start it but gave up fairly quickly when it wouldn't turn over to avoid damage.  Anyone had this happen and what was the damage?  Any tips on how to remediate before trying to start again? 

PS, please no need to say anything about how to drive without letting rollers come up from behind. I already gave him crap for that ;-)  And in all fairness it was a 52 FT Cruisers that jacked him up.

If you actually did hydraulic the motor you have a bit of fun ahead of you. Pull the Spark plugs and turn engine over a couple of times to push any water left in the cylinders out. And then change the engine oil ( if it is in the cylinders it will push by the rings and into your oil pan). Any water in your intake I would think should have evaporated by now. Actually, shouldn't be all that bad..... Just a pain!! Sorry to hear about your luck dbrayton1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The remedy was to pull the plugs, crank to flush the water out, change oil, and good to go.

BTW, on the f22 there is a lot of daylight through that opening. Plus the plastic vent hoses just hang there and don't connect to anything so and water is either dropped right on the intake and/or kicked up by the pulleys. When the prop shaft was leaking last season the water splashing up soaked the intake when I owned this boat. Wasn't bad enough to kill it but ran rough for the day. Anyway. My Malibu has the intake on the front and no giant hole in the transom ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I drilled holes in the black plastic piece and zip tied the hoses to it so they wouldn't come loose....also it is good to put into practice a two part slow down first to let the main wake dissipate then to idle. Repeated let offs straight to idle is what knocked my black hoses loose as the wake comes up the back of the boat straight into the vents

I drilled holes in the black plastic piece and zip tied the hoses to it so they wouldn't come loose....also it is good to put into practice a two part slow down first to let the main wake dissipate then to idle. Repeated let offs straight to idle is what knocked my black hoses loose as the wake comes up the back of the boat straight into the vents

Sadly, it took once for me to figure that out - rookie move on my part. Luckily I didn't have any damage or rough running, just a couple surprised back seat passengers. :wacko: Raptor engine cover FTW. 

Yup had the same issue when the hose's came detached.. Stalled out my motor as well.. Drilled holes and zip tied the hoses to the vent cover. Now any water that does make it is mainly routed down the hose instead of onto the intake filter.

Slow deceleration coupled with it his fix and I've been good since.

• 2 weeks later...