How Many Degrees of List.....?

dakota4ce

Greetings fellas.  Quick question for those that slam their boats into a listed setup for surfing: how many degrees of list would you say your boat has at rest when set up for max wave?

I am using a 15+ degree listed setup in a Tige, which frankly is ABSURD.  The upside to the obvious danger is that the wave is long, strong and super fun at 11.8-12.2 mph.

Walking? Challenging.

Water over sides? Yep.

Very uncomfortable passengers? Many.

Offers from passers by to call rescue boats? 4x last summer  :lol:  :lol:

So we want to lessen that number.  Do we need to surf level?  Not exactly, although it is nice.  But surfing with a comfortable 6-7-8 degrees would be nice.

Please shower me with info.

Cheers!

Greetings fellas.  Quick question for those that slam their boats into a listed setup for surfing: how many degrees of list would you say your boat has at rest when set up for max wave?

I am using a 15+ degree listed setup in a Tige, which frankly is ABSURD.  The upside to the obvious danger is that the wave is long, strong and super fun at 11.8-12.2 mph.

Walking? Challenging.

Water over sides? Yep.

Very uncomfortable passengers? Many.

Offers from passers by to call rescue boats? 4x last summer  :lol:  :lol:

So we want to lessen that number.  Do we need to surf level?  Not exactly, although it is nice.  But surfing with a comfortable 6-7-8 degrees would be nice.

Please shower me with info.

Cheers!

I think you can get away with 8-10 degrees on the pickle fork boats and a little less on the traditional bow boats..

I just went GSA, so listing is no longer going to happen.  when it did it wasnt terribly severe.  I think i've not counter-ballasted enough a few times which led to severe listing (and not necessarily a better wave).  If you heavily load one side, ballast the bow and then counter ballast the other side (maybe 30%) you 'sink' the entire hull more, which creates greater displacement and a larger wave with less list.  Of course, this is with an MB, which has a great hull for surf.  hope that helps.

any bow weight?

any "counter" weight?

Yes that has 500-600 in bow, and very little counter weight.  This boat does not accept counter weight very well. I could probably benefit from a platform trim and then make counter weight more useful, but there is nothing lacking in the wave, really.

Yes that has 500-600 in bow, and very little counter weight.  This boat does not accept counter weight very well. I could probably benefit from a platform trim and then make counter weight more useful, but there is nothing lacking in the wave, really.

i haven't been on one of those before, but that seems both really listed plus really sunk at the rear.  have you ever tried a 400 or similar maybe on the floor midway up? it sort of acts as a little bit of bow, center, surf-side weight for me at times.

I just went GSA, so listing is no longer going to happen.  when it did it wasnt terribly severe.  I think i've not counter-ballasted enough a few times which led to severe listing (and not necessarily a better wave).  If you heavily load one side, ballast the bow and then counter ballast the other side (maybe 30%) you 'sink' the entire hull more, which creates greater displacement and a larger wave with less list.  Of course, this is with an MB, which has a great hull for surf.  hope that helps.

Therein lies my decision.  I have an F24 Tomcat on the way.  It is currently naked.  My initial plan has been GSA all the way, then started reading waaaaay too much info on listing, slappers, GSA so on and so forth.

Just to do my due diligence, I am making sure of my plan prior to spending the cabbage.

The 24Ve above is optimized, I promise.  Lots of messing with it, and counter weight did not help.  At least not enough counter weight to really take back the list.

After this pic was snapped, I began adding more to bow, but really it never was very nose high.  The boat is so fun, its just that the list is a bit harrowing for your average everyday visitor to the cabin.  I have been hit broadside by rollers and thought for sure I would be swimming, but no!  Amazingly stable in the "sinking it intentionally" setup.

BTW not kidding on water patrol rescue calls.  It has happened more than once.