Anchoring

yellj

I have used this successfully on the Potomac when it was flowing at its usual summer pace. the 18lb one will do you just fine at lake anna and should be sufficient if you take the boat on some of the rivers in your area as well.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=4565552&catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&langId=-1#showReviews

Do yourself a big favor and make the 1st anchor you buy, the last anchor you buy... I've tried them all and the box anchor is awsome! It is well worth the little extra coin over a typical mushroom or danforth. They even fold flat for great storage.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

2 years ago we were tied up with a bunch of other boats. There were 3 danforths already out when we pulled up so we just tied up to the other boats and didn't throw out an anchor. The wind came up, pulled the three danforths loose. The goup was puckered as all the boats tied together were quickly drifting towards a rocky outcropping. I quickly threw our box anchor overboard, and that anchor alone stopped the whole group. That event made me a believer.

Group1.jpg

admin wrote:

Also, make sure that you get an anchor chain.

I've always just used old tow ropes.

And the one DRIVERLOST referenced didn't work for me on LKA. I had to go with this kind instead:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=247428&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10372&classNum=10418

I think there is more rock/debris on the Potomac than @ Anna, and the mushroom anchor doesn't dig in enough.

We have a small one. We use a braided rope from Harbor Freight (cheap). I like braided line because it has a little bit of stretch... A little bit of give on the bow hook when the nose is bobbing up and down if rollers come by. We also use a quick cleat from that same company. Very handy for adjusting line length.

I use one just like dan posted and have for YEARS. The trick with most anchors is knowing how to use them properly. For a plow or danforth style you need to have 6-10 feet of chain and then use roughly 6" of line for every 1" of water depth, if you do that it's gonna hold. Only other thing you must do is properly set it, to do that you pull past where you want to end up throw the anchor over and then allow the wind / current to set you back to the right spot that way the anchor line is able to lay out and then dig the anchor in as it's pulled flat across the bottom to set.

I've heard a lot of good things about the box style anchors but being more used to big boats I use what I know and not to be funny but when was the last time you saw a 30+ footer using a box overnight.