Factory Ballast System

Davpmars

I'm curious to know how the stock ballast system works on 2013 - 2016 MB Tomcats. How do they fill in 60 seconds while every other manufacturer takes several minutes?

From what I understand, 2 large openings in the back of the boat allow water to enter when you are sitting still. Basically gradually sinking your boat until the hard ballast tanks are full. Is that correct?

Anyone have a diagram?

Looks like this:

post-2633-0-63234900-1484162350_thumb.jpg

Flip a switch. These open. Er... valves behind these shiny bezels open...

post-2633-0-98884200-1484162437_thumb.jpg

Water enters from rear via fire hose size port. Vents in front under windshield allow displaced air to escape.

Flip switch to close, go do your thing - 60 Seconds to fat and happy.  Baffles keep partially filled tanks pretty evenly distributed.

To drain, accelerate to a speed where water clears the transom - flip same switch.  Water exits from whence it came. Air enters from vents under windshield to equalize pressure. 

60-80 seconds to empty.

Most everybody else pumps through a garden hose.  MB fills through a port the size of a fire hose without a pump. 

Witchcraft dispelled.

Thanks "Ship Faced" 

This is very helpful. It also brings up a couple more questions...

I assume you have the ability to fill 1 side and not the other if you wanted to weight one side for surfing (without a surf system) correct?

Have you ever heard of anyone having mechanical problems with the valves that open and close? Water leaking, sticking open/closed?

Yes, you can load choose how much water you want on each side.

The valves have been know to break... Not a huge issue, you can use an Allen key to open/close. The valves are also relatively cheap, I keep an extra one in my boat storage just in case.

A couple of things to add:

1. The system empties just as fast as it fills, but you have to be moving at a good clip to get it to drain as the water has to go back out through those same holes.

2. If you have the factory "plug and play" additional ballast, like I do in my F22, the hard tanks have to be filled first, the valves for them closed, then the PNP bags in the rear lockers are filled via thru-hull pumps.  That takes several minutes, just like any other boat's normal ballast system.  It still empties fast, though, as they drain straight down through big holes directly into the hard tanks and out the back.

The system isn't perfect, I guess, but it is fast and it does let you get a LOT of weight on board in a short time.  In the case of my F22, 2800 lbs in the hard tanks in about a minute and another 2200 in PNP bags in 8 - 10 minutes more.  We actually find our surf wave to be best with the (1100 each) PNP bags about 3/4 full, so more like 6-7 minutes in actual practice.

Worse is when your kids hit the pnp switches and you don't realize it until your boat is riding sideways for some weird reason...

I had that happen once.  Couldn't figure out why the wave went to crap shortly after 'up' with a buddy surfing.  Gremlin decided to 'help' me and opened the surf side tank. LOL 

• 4 years later...
On 1/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, Davpmars said:

I'm curious to know how the stock ballast system works on 2013 - 2016 MB Tomcats. How do they fill in 60 seconds while every other manufacturer takes several minutes?

From what I understand, 2 large openings in the back of the boat allow water to enter when you are sitting still. Basically gradually sinking your boat until the hard ballast tanks are full. Is that correct?

Anyone have a diagram?

I have a 2015 mb tom Kat 24 factory upgraded with a 2020 surf system and ballast when I bought it last year. I am having trouble draining my port bag ballast. I have trouble sometimes after I drain it  and it appears the internal ballast start refilling after I close it. Now I can’t get the port side bag ballast to fully drain. Any ideas how to fix this? Could it be that the 2 drains in the the rear need to be cleaned. The boat is always in water maybe it has to be cleaned from algae build up.

• 1 year later...