Long or Short Rope?

slavoise

I'm one of the lucky ones who can get up on any length rope, switch, normal, goofy, regular, backwards, shit it doesn't matter... But most who come on my boat are not the same lol. 

My wife and 2 older boys can get up, ride, rope less and so on... But this will be hopefully the first year that my 8 year old can get up! Last year I was only able to get him up once or twice by me in the water with him and pushing him up as my wife took off with the boat. 

As always, I spent more money on the boat and went out and bought a matching Inland Surfer rope for my new board they are building https://www.inlandsurfer.com/inland-surfer-wakesurf-ropes/leatherman-comp This rope can be adjusted from 27 feet down to much shorter...

My question is this: to make life as easy as possible on my little one and everyone else, what length is easier? Short or long? (My wife will always say long  :P  but we aren't asking her).

Short helps I think--more of an up vector? Seems to help, anyway. Also off to their side of the boat helps, I have even tied the rope to the favored corner of the tower to help them, while turning into them during the pull. Seems like the wave itself screws them up often if they are near it or on it. A newbie coming down off the top of it is 90% failure.

I wonder what constitutes a comp surf rope? I have just lengthened my cheapies with a section or two more of rope and looping it through. Then I take em out for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short helps I think--more of an up vector? Seems to help, anyway. Also off to their side of the boat helps, I have even tied the rope to the favored corner of the tower to help them, while turning into them during the pull. Seems like the wave itself screws them up often if they are near it or on it. A newbie coming down off the top of it is 90% failure.

I wonder what constitutes a comp surf rope? I have just lengthened my cheapies with a section or two more of rope and looping it through. Then I take em out for the kids.

Yeah, I start them off on the correct side of the wave to help.

I have no clue about the rope being a "comp"... it was the only white one that looked good that I could find.

Seems like the wave itself screws them up often if they are near it or on it. A newbie coming down off the top of it is 90% failure.

I would also add that loading up full ballast and making a big huge wave is kinda pointless for someone who has never surfed or young kids starting out. 

I would just start off with no ballast and let them get comfortable with getting up to start then add the monster when they are getting the hang of it.

Tie tube to long rope on ski loop opposite surfer. Have surfer sit on tube with feet on board. Pull them effortlessly to their feet, tube drops back and to other side as your noob surfs their little heart out.

I'm not giving that easy it an option to him... I made his 2 brothers learn and so shall he :)

I've seen ragboy post up about starting newbs on the side of the tower (surf side) which I always thought was a little ridiculous.  Until we tried it last summer.  Much to my chagrin, it totally friggin works.  I've always struggled with newbs, but last summer every single newb that we brought out was able to get up and ride (not necessarily ropeless.... but my newbs are the bottom of the barrel... just standing on the board near the wave is considered an epic win).

I got a safety webbing strap that I loop around the tower and then a big carabiner to hook the rope too.  I think it was about $30 all in on amazon.  TOTALLY worth it.

IMG_6436_zps7rxbhcoz.jpg

I've seen ragboy post up about starting newbs on the side of the tower (surf side) which I always thought was a little ridiculous. Until we tried it last summer. Much to my chagrin, it totally friggin works. I've always struggled with newbs, but last summer every single newb that we brought out was able to get up and ride (not necessarily ropeless.... but my newbs are the bottom of the barrel... just standing on the board near the wave is considered an epic win).

I got a safety webbing strap that I loop around the tower and then a big carabiner to hook the rope too. I think it was about $30 all in on amazon. TOTALLY worth it.

I like that idea! Besides Dockstar that is the only good idea that Mastercraft has too. Do you wrap a towel under the strap or does it not scratch the tower?

Try using a wake board for your 8 year old to start. They can get up on their own with it and can go ropeless. This helps with the feel then you can switch back to the surf board. Side of the boat surf side start works great. Too short of a rope sometimes makes little kids nervous because they are close to the boat, I agree the angle helps pop them up quicker.

I like that idea! Besides Dockstar that is the only good idea that Mastercraft has too. Do you wrap a towel under the strap or does it not scratch the tower?

No towel... only the nylon webbing is touching the tower.

The upside of the side tower start vs. the "turn to the surf side" start is that you never get the dreaded giant/double roller that the surfer needs to work through.  The side of the tower start just seems to put the incompetent newbs right where they are supposed to be on the wave with basically zero effort.

No towel... only the nylon webbing is touching the tower.

The upside of the side tower start vs. the "turn to the surf side" start is that you never get the dreaded giant/double roller that the surfer needs to work through.  The side of the tower start just seems to put the incompetent newbs right where they are supposed to be on the wave with basically zero effort.

The turn toward the surfer--for like 30 degrees is all it takes.  No roller comes into play.  What would be fun though!