Our steering out of nowhere today got super hard to turn, then almost impossible to turn to not possible to turn.  Feels like it's binding?  Gonna take cable off tomorrow, have a feeling it'at the rudder housing.  How hard is to take apart & service the rudder / rudder housing?

Not related since I have not taken 1 apart yet but were you at Jackson yesterday? Saw a boat like the one in your profile pic there.

We were!  Saw one like yours too.  Shocked that it wasn't very busy out there, was not a bad day till my steering went out.  Any idea what happened at the docks with all those ambulances & fire trucks?

I would bet on cable. If it had water in the jacket at some point it could corroded. Replacing mine made a major difference! And don't forget to grease the rudder port every so often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope it is.  I had a bad cable before & these symptoms are much much worse.  Anyone know the part number for the steering cable I would need if it's the cable? 

Would appear it's the cable, I got that disconnected & the rudder moves freely.  Was hoping for the part number so I could order one today to get it quicker.  I am not going to be able to pull it out till later this week.  

Anyone done a steering cable 2011-2014 B52?  Looks like a real PIA compared to my Malibu.  

I can't see under the engine far enough, is there a spot underneath the cable gets attached / tightened to?  All I can see is where it attaches to the rudder & a little before there's a round slot for the cable but nothing to tighten?  Not sure how I would get under there to work anyway, there is zero room?

We were! Saw one like yours too. Shocked that it wasn't very busy out there, was not a bad day till my steering went out. Any idea what happened at the docks with all those ambulances & fire trucks?

Yep, they shut the ramp down as my daughter was getting the truck. Got stuck on the lake for 1.5 hours in the downpour and still drying my boat out...

They landed a flight for life and hauled someone out. No clue what happened.

Yep, they shut the ramp down as my daughter was getting the truck. Got stuck on the lake for 1.5 hours in the downpour and still drying my boat out...

They landed a flight for life and hauled someone out. No clue what happened.

Oh that sucks!  We dodged a bullet, got off right before they shut the dock.  Were the winds howling too while you were stuck?  We were back at Empire while it started, I thought another tornado was going to tear through the place.

So no ones pulled a new steering cable?  I changed one on my Malibu, had to cut the floor bigger to get it through, any problems like that on these MB's?  Do I need to take the black foot panel off to access the cable routing hole?  Haven't had a chance to really dig into this, just looking for some tips before I start.

I haven't done an MB but the last two boats that I did ok used the old cable to pull the new one front to back. I believe Olds did his last year.

I did that on my Malibu too, used weed wacker cable then used that to pull a thicker rope thru.  Was mostly curious about the hole in the floor & its location.  Also how it mounts prior to hitting the rudder.

On my 12, lift up the bow cushion on Starboard side, remove HDPE small panel standing vertically almost under the windshield.  I had to cut the (head) rack end at the steering wheel off and tied the helm end to the rudder end of the new one.  Had someone in the rear locker lightly tug while I fished and wiggled it from front to rear.  Took about 30 minutes.  The part number is stamped about one to two feet from the rack end of cable at the helm.  There were 4 7/16" bolts to pop the rack and pinion apart and all pretty easy from there.  SKIDIM.com had the cheapest quickest shipping.  

On my 12, lift up the bow cushion on Starboard side, remove HDPE small panel standing vertically almost under the windshield.  I had to cut the (head) rack end at the steering wheel off and tied the helm end to the rudder end of the new one.  Had someone in the rear locker lightly tug while I fished and wiggled it from front to rear.  Took about 30 minutes.  The part number is stamped about one to two feet from the rack end of cable at the helm.  There were 4 7/16" bolts to pop the rack and pinion apart and all pretty easy from there.  SKIDIM.com had the cheapest quickest shipping.  

Thanks!  If I am understanding correctly, you used the old cable as your pull cable?  Any reason why I can't pull a pull wire though from the rudder up thru the helm instead of using the old cable?  Seems easier than cutting it off?  

Also, before the rudder, I see a clamp of sorts the cable routes through but I don't see anything there that requires loosening or tightening to hold the cable in place??  On my Malibu there was a fitting right at the end of the cable prior to the rudder arm the cable got routed thru & tightened down too, then the final connection to the rudder? 

Oh that sucks! We dodged a bullet, got off right before they shut the dock. Were the winds howling too while you were stuck? We were back at Empire while it started, I thought another tornado was going to tear through the place.

It was blowing pretty good, 30 or so. A little hail too! There wad an inch of water in the cabin all times, bildge was working overtime. 100% of boat is drenched, all carpet and stereo starting bugging out too. In short terms, it sucked. You dodged a bullet for sure, I missed the shutdown by 2 minutes...

It was blowing pretty good, 30 or so. A little hail too! There wad an inch of water in the cabin all times, bildge was working overtime. 100% of boat is drenched, all carpet and stereo starting bugging out too. In short terms, it sucked. You dodged a bullet for sure, I missed the shutdown by 2 minutes...

Man that blows, big time.  Can't believe they just left everyone out there like that.  

This steering cable is a major PIA to replace.  Trying to pull it out through the bow with a pull rope attached to the other end & no beuno, nut on the cable gets stuck on hole with all the tubes, weight of the wires & other stuff sits right on the cable so I can't bounce the cable or do anything to make it past there.  Hopefully bolt cutters & pull the new cable the other way will prove to be a bit easier.  

Mine did not have any such luck...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a panel with 4 screws in the bow walk way floor. I removed that and it's just a solid piece of the hull with a ton of grime and mold I cleaned out. Why on earth would they make a panel to no where???

• 2 weeks later...

Cable showed up and had a nice day so I got it done. Pulling the cable was easy peasy, it just came on thru with little resistance. Everything else about this job sucked balls though! Trying to get the cable attachment loosened and tightened with one hand was difficult. Not too bad once I got a second pair of hands involved but man they leave no room. Working under the helm; you gotta be kidding me, there is no room to work and took some wrestling and swearing. An easy job made very difficult by leaving no room to work or making things really hard to reach. At least it's done and getting back on water today.

• 4 years later...

I have an MB Boss 210. I just replaced my steering cable. I tried greasing the old one at the rudder-end and at the helm-end and it helped a bit, but not enough. THE CODE FOR MY OLD STEERING CABLE WAS: SSC5218 TELEFLEX USA 4119. This is an 18' cable that connects to the old/original MORSE ROTARY helm. The REPLACEMENT cable for this boat is the UFLEX SSC29018. (Teleflex was bought by SeaStar, which makes UFLEX).

PXL_20220601_173127236.jpg

PXL_20220601_173133074.jpg

PXL_20220601_182043519.jpg

PXL_20220601_182054876.jpg

• 3 weeks later...