23 B52 V.S. 24 Tomcat

Birddog7.62

I'm torn, been wanting the 24 Tomcat because of its extra foot and it looks slightly cooler, though the B52 is really growing on me. Would like opinions from the big tomcat guys, is the extra foot that noticeable? How do these surf in comparison to each other? Lets assume 2016-2017 hulls. I don't like the older B52 hull shape. New, it looks like there is a bout a 10K difference, the 24 being more expensive. I've seen the WB (wide body) designation sometimes on the 23, aren't the 23's all the same beam? Pickle Fork, drier or wetter ride? Does one have more free-board than the other? what are the actual lengths of both?

My two biggest wants are surf wake and space. I know how this will go when I get the new boat, "Hmm it has about 5000lbs of ballast and it surfs pretty sweet, what happens if I have 7000 lbs?"

Talk to me goose...

I would think the 23 would be a drier ride from spray but this is based of my older 2012 F21. It sprays up from the hull and then hits the start of the flat under of the forks and sprays the windshield. I don’t mind it because even the bow in my 21 is slightly wider especially at the very front than the 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 24 never splashed over the front. The only time we would get wet would be backseat passengers in a crosswind what’s with the wind blowing of the spray from the bow around and back in the boat.

Since it’s windy here all the time, that got to be annoying. But as far as spray from the front on the passengers never had that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Oldsdriver.  We have a '17 24', and we've worked really hard to finally dial in the surf wave.  I think by the end of the season we were almost where we want to be.  It was certainly a great surf wave, but we want it just that little bit more perfect. We know what we need to do, and that will be our effort first day out in 2018. That said, the wave coming out of the '18 23' straight out of the box is mind blowing!  You'll pay a premium to have the new hull, but unless you absolutely have to have the bigger play pen front end, I'd stick with the 23'. 

I agree with Oldsdriver. We have a '17 24', and we've worked really hard to finally dial in the surf wave. I think by the end of the season we were almost where we want to be. It was certainly a great surf wave, but we want it just that little bit more perfect. We know what we need to do, and that will be our effort first day out in 2018. That said, the wave coming out of the '18 23' straight out of the box is mind blowing! You'll pay a premium to have the new hull, but unless you absolutely have to have the bigger play pen front end, I'd stick with the 23'.

I think I remember you posting that you were struggling. What’s been the issue? My F24 wasn’t too far off the basics to dial. Really pretty trouble free. What’s the setup?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

partial sarcasm there Sheldon :P . Your point is valid, its a big boat and fully loaded with people and ballast I'm sure that mill is working hard. thanks for pointing this out. Anyone out there get a 2018 B52 23 for less than 85?

In no time you will be getting the 2018, you already bumped your budget 5k in 12 hours.