Poll on motor mounts/shafts

onequicktang

Motor mount/shaft issue poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Sunken motor mounts

2. 2. Broken Shaft

Id like to take a poll and get an idea of the percentage of boats effected by the defective motor mounts and shaft break issues. I seen someone else had one going on the broken tower issue. Seems MB doesn't want to recognize it as a "Big" issue, stating they are aware of a "couple" boats that have experienced this!!!! Love the boat, love the wave, but I'm not a fan of a product if the builder cant get behind it! We have been talking about upgrading and its a shame that MB is falling further down my list! This poll is for the inmar boats. 2012-x

I wish MB and Indmar would do more to rectify this issue.  I'm not a fan of lawsuits and government intervention, but when companies look for excuses to avoid being responsible rather than ways to make things right it doesn't leave many other options.

So when i called MB yesterday just to see if they would be willing to give me shaft or discount one. Jacob said they are "aware of a few cases"  but he was unable to help me because "as far as they are concerned i dont even own the boat, because it was never registered with them" I never knew i need to register anything with mb, i thought the dealer took care of all the paperwork...... So i call my dealer and he says "why would we register a boat out of warranty with them? never have before" To me it was just an easy out for MB..... Think i'll give moomba and supra a long and hard look next time around!

So when i called MB yesterday just to see if they would be willing to give me shaft or discount one. Jacob said they are "aware of a few cases"  but he was unable to help me because "as far as they are concerned i dont even own the boat, because it was never registered with them" I never knew i need to register anything with mb, i thought the dealer took care of all the paperwork...... So i call my dealer and he says "why would we register a boat out of warranty with them? never have before" To me it was just an easy out for MB..... Think i'll give moomba and supra a long and hard look next time around!

This would be an angle for Don to work.  Seeing that he is a MB Ambassador and all.  MB knows how many problems there are out there.  Bosshog is on here a lot. 

This would be an angle for Don to work.  Seeing that he is a MB Ambassador and all.  MB knows how many problems there are out there.  Bosshog is on here a lot. 

Its not Don's job or responsibility. Parts are ordered and I will fix it myself, I wont forget how the dealer and MB treated me when the time comes for a new boat or service!

So when i called MB yesterday just to see if they would be willing to give me shaft or discount one. Jacob said they are "aware of a few cases" but he was unable to help me because "as far as they are concerned i dont even own the boat, because it was never registered with them" I never knew i need to register anything with mb, i thought the dealer took care of all the paperwork...... So i call my dealer and he says "why would we register a boat out of warranty with them? never have before" To me it was just an easy out for MB..... Think i'll give moomba and supra a long and hard look next time around!

When a new boat is purchased the dealer registers it with MB and then MB has the owners information. They will confirm the owners information when performing warranty work. If the boat you purchased was out of the warranty period then I can understand why the dealer didn't register it with MB. If it was under warranty when purchased then the dealer made a mistake. So for them to tell you they don't have any record of your ownership of the boat isn't unreasonable. If you're still in the warranty period then I would see about registering it.

The part that I think is unreasonable is the lack of support even though many who have this issue are out of warranty. This is a known design problem. I had a similar issue on a vehicle once and it led to a class action lawsuit. I don't prefer that option but with little manufacturer support I can see it happening.

When a new boat is purchased the dealer registers it with MB and then MB has the owners information. They will confirm the owners information when performing warranty work. If the boat you purchased was out of the warranty period then I can understand why the dealer didn't register it with MB. If it was under warranty when purchased then the dealer made a mistake. So for them to tell you they don't have any record of your ownership of the boat isn't unreasonable. If you're still in the warranty period then I would see about registering it.

The part that I think is unreasonable is the lack of support even though many who have this issue are out of warranty. This is a known design problem. I had a similar issue on a vehicle once and it led to a class action lawsuit. I don't prefer that option but with little manufacturer support I can see it happening.

I work in the auto industry, we issue recalls which cover vehicles that may be out of warranty. MB/inmar Knew about this long before boats were out of warranty, they just chose not to make it right and fix the problem! and they choose not to know, as per Jacob at MB "recalls require a lot of paperwork and effort with the coast guard!"

I work in the auto industry, we issue recalls which cover vehicles that may be out of warranty. MB/inmar Knew about this long before boats were out of warranty, they just chose not to make it right and fix the problem! and they choose not to know, as per Jacob at MB "recalls require a lot of paperwork and effort with the coast guard!"

Yes, the auto industry does this because they have been forced to by the government.  I agree it's a lot of paperwork and effort to have a recall and ultimately that just drives up prices so I wish it weren't necessary.  The simpler and more practical approach would be for MB to make an arrangement with Indmar and their dealers to repair this problem for owners who have experienced it.  Even a prorated amount of coverage is reasonable since most are outside of the warranty period.   

That's why the engine manufactures call them service updates or bulletins and not recalls.

And how come inmar didn't do it with these mounts? As a engineer anytime you release a new and updated part, your basically admitting failure! Its just wrong on so many levels that MB and inmar leave the customers on the hook for their poor design!

Its not Don's job or responsibility. Parts are ordered and I will fix it myself, I wont forget how the dealer and MB treated me when the time comes for a new boat or service!

ONEQUICKTANG,  As a dealer,  one that has had to work through "service bulletins" with customers, I truly understand your frustration. But in fairness to everybody involved, especially fellow MB owners or potential MB owners, I wish you would give all of the information.  Like how many owners the boat has had, how many hours were on it when you bought it, how were you treated poorly by the dealer, has the prop ever been rebuilt,  what was discussed with the repairing dealer before they did the repairs, did they mentioned that the shaft is prone to breaking since the boat had been run for so long with bad mounts? Did you know to check the motor mounts when you bought the boat? What was discussed when you bought the boat. etc.  There is a lot more information that is not getting shared.  I agree the whole thing sucks! And in some cases could have been handled differently, but please give all of the information.

ONEQUICKTANG,  As a dealer,  one that has had to work through "service bulletins" with customers, I truly understand your frustration. But in fairness to everybody involved, especially fellow MB owners or potential MB owners, I wish you would give all of the information.  Like how many owners the boat has had, how many hours were on it when you bought it, how were you treated poorly by the dealer, has the prop ever been rebuilt,  what was discussed with the repairing dealer before they did the repairs, did they mentioned that the shaft is prone to breaking since the boat had been run for so long with bad mounts? Did you know to check the motor mounts when you bought the boat? What was discussed when you bought the boat. etc.  There is a lot more information that is not getting shared.  I agree the whole thing sucks! And in some cases could have been handled differently, but please give all of the information.

Please Jeff, enlighten me and the hundreds of others that have had this problem how this is the customers fault? Shitty designed motor mounts lead to failed shaft, we ALL KNOW THAT! my boat has around 355hrs, I bought it with 300 hrs. The facts are yes i hit a sand bar at idle speed and messed up a prop around 325 hrs, put a new prop on, no vibrations, no signs of any other issues. When changing my oil around 330hrs I noticed my motor mounts should be replaced after comparing them to the many pictures on here! Aqua sports (JEFF) replaced my motor mounts and aligned my shaft around 350hrs, I did thing about replacing the shaft at this time for piece of mind and knowing about the issue, but they were on back order. On tuesday we took the boat out for the first time after Jeff did the work, I drove the boat out from the launch at a fairling low speed and noticed it seemed to have some vibration when taking off. I did not drive the boat again as I was surfing, which lasted a couple hours before my shaft snapped and left us stranded! I never pointed a finger at you, never mentioned your shop, I called you the next day which you intermediately got defensive and quite frankly was an asshole about it!!!! So now im doing what i should done in the first place and just saved the money and done the work myself, lesson learned I WILL NOT BE DOING ANY BUSINESS WITH AQUA SPORTS MARINE! I will make the 3 hour trek to the EDGE if need be, or someone said there is a new dealer in town so i'll have to check them out. I do want to once again give Elbert's a shout out, as they seem to be the only ones who truly give a shit about people getting raw dogged and helping as much as they can!

Dude, That's straight BS right there. This issue of motor mounts and broken shafts has nothing to do with the dealer.  It's pretty obvious that the shaft was damaged prior to the work that was done at the dealer and YOU chose not to have the shaft replaced. 

For the record, I WILL continue to do business with Aqua Sports Marine.  Jeff has been nothing but professional and courteous in all my dealings with him.

Dude, That's straight BS right there. This issue of motor mounts and broken shafts has nothing to do with the dealer.  It's pretty obvious that the shaft was damaged prior to the work that was done at the dealer and YOU chose not to have the shaft replaced. 

For the record, I WILL continue to do business with Aqua Sports Marine.  Jeff has been nothing but professional and courteous in all my dealings with him.

the 30hrs of no issues make it obvious that the shaft had a problem? lmao, i would think the immediate vibration after their work would point to the problem..... Continue to do your business there, glad they treat you well! Jeff handled this situation like an unprofessional, was so defensive for no reason, which to me points to the fact that the job wasnt done correctly! Shit happens, I get it, its how you handle that shit the defines the situation!

This sounds like a frustrating situation. I hope you get everything sorted....

I am also very guilty of this but Negative feedback yields negative reactions... 

It was frustrating Tuesday night/wed morning. I have since ordered the parts, paid on my own dime, will fix on my own time, yet JEFF still feels the need to run his mouth on here and the facebook page, which i find it funny because if it was not for him, nobody would have even known who did the work!

Two sides to every story.  I truly wish you the best of luck getting your boat working again. 

So tell your side! I have nothing to hide, I wasn't asking for any handouts from you, I originally called to let you know what happened and to get prices, we never got that far because you played defense right away! Like i have stated multiple times now, its a MB/inmar issue! 

Second owner of my boat just let me know that his prop shaft broke. I think this is inside of warranty. Still, is this repair covered by warranty? This is a 2013 MB f24 but it was not put into service until 2016 sold as brand new.

Thanks fellas! Just trying to help them out. The people that bought it from me are friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second owner of my boat just let me know that his prop shaft broke. I think this is inside of warranty. Still, is this repair covered by warranty? This is a 2013 MB f24 but it was not put into service until 2016 sold as brand new.

Thanks fellas! Just trying to help them out. The people that bought it from me are friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they registered the boat with MB, if not im sure they will take the easy way out and not help them!