Getting up on plane with full ballast

ProvoMB52

Ok guys, filled the ballast for the first time yesterday on our new '08 V23. Dropped the back end a ton. Pushed the noise maker lever forward, and proceeded to plow the lake at full throttle, until I had my one lone rider who was on the back seat move up beside me. Finally got up on plane, but it took a bit. So the question is this, are you guys having to put people up in the bow to get things going? I've seen some discussions about re-propping for hole shot, but wonder if I may need to re-prop for heavy loads. I'm not a top end speed worrier anyway, so to lose a few mph is no big deal, if I can make the boat more useful.

Once we were on plane the boat performed very well, although the speed control was quite a bit more sensitive.

Your thoughts, as always, are appreciated.

I used to have problems getting my 2007 on plane. We'd have maybe 3-4 adults on board and I would move them to the front with the same results as you. I thought maybe the planing issue was an over full gas tank . . .

then I discovered that not taking the plug out and leaving my boat in a field (with cover on) accumulated an amazing amount of water in the bilge.

Now, I always drain the boat on the ramp before plugging it and then dropping in. I have never had a planing issue again with full ballast.

also, i have no wake plate and the original prop.

I'm quite confident that even in the condition I was in yesterday, the Quick Plane Plate would likely not have been much advantage. The two-speed tranny makes sense to me now, but I'm still wondering if I couldn't make up for some of the loss by taking a bigger bite out of the water with a more coarsely pitched prop?

I have the same issue in my F23 with the ZR409 if I have full ballast and more than 4 people in the boat I have to have people sit up front or I will just plow through the water not plane out. My cruising speed is already quite slow at like 30-32 MPH at 4500RPM so I choose not to reprop and just move people around.What motor do you have ? The 2 speed tranny was not available for the ZR409 only the 343 when I bought my boat, and I dont beleive it is an option at all now with the rear cavitation plate.

ProvoMB52 wrote:

I'm quite confident that even in the condition I was in yesterday, the Quick Plane Plate would likely not have been much advantage.

Based upon my experience, I disagree.

In the past, when we needed to drain while underway after surfing and with a Z06 and a 2-speed transmission in Low, it could take a very long time to plane out and we would have to move folks forward, as you describe.

That was stock ballast (2,000lbs) + 4-6 people + almost another 2,000lbs of added ballast.

Now with the same boat weight (different hull shape though), 2 Speed tranny in Low, the same Z06, the same number of people, the same amount of extra ballast and slightly more stock ballast I can plane very quickly by using the wake plate for ten seconds or so.

I put at least 400 lbs of ballast in the bow and have no problem getting to a plane with the stock tanks full, this will also make it easier to steer. I have a 1000 lb triangle bow ballast sac that I can fill up to my liking. This should help you out, I have a 2007 v23. I also have an upgraded prop too though.

Thanks again for all the input. Based on my experience in aviation, and the difference that a slight change in CG can make ( a few hundred pounds moved to the bow). I'm interested to know what everyone is using for ballast. Water sacks, or something more basic like lead blanks?

So the details on the set-up are:

Elevation: 4500 ft. MSL

2008 B53 V23

Engine: ZR6 at 390 HP

Standard factory prop.

Boat easily hits over 42 MPH with no ballast, and comfortably holds speed, at between 4500 and 4700 RPM's. Normal Cruise would be around 32 MPH, at 3200 RPM's.

If anyone can think of any other data they would like, let me know and I'll see if I can fill in the blanks. Oh yeah, just a little breeze on the water yesterday. Just a light surface motion on the water.

I think the info that would be needed is the size of the prop. I am not sure what STOCK equals. From there, folks can tell you what your options are.

I do not have a V23, but I have found that some weight in the nose does help considerably.

I usually keep 400# in pop bags in the nose. The reason I went with pop bags is because they do not require any time and effort like water ballast. I only break out the water ballast if I am going to surf (which also requires me to move the pop bags to the surf side in the rear).

I was interested in the cavitation plate when it first came out, but with the weight in the nose, I have decided it is not worth the investment (to me anyway). More economical to have folks sit in the bow when we are fully loaded with people and ballast.

Must have confused some with my data. I'm going to look at the prop to get the size, but at WOT, she'll put out just under 5300 RPMs, which according to the manual should be redline for that engine, so I think the prop is correctly sized for altitude, and I do understand what a more coarse pitch prop would do to RPMs, but I'm just thinking it might make enough of a difference to consider.

Great hearing all your thoughts.

This has been a great board for me, in the way of instruction, and information.