Ballast gate valve failure - 2016 F22 - Valterra part?

I'm sure the original Drain Master valves would be covered under the warranty.  I just don't have an interest in having my boat out of commission sitting at the shop just to have the same crappy valves put back in.  I'd rather spend the money now and hopefully not have to deal with the issue again.

Installed the valterras today. Not too hard of a job, just very little room to work. Getting that 4th bolt and nut on and tightened was really not fun. The one that is totally out of sight and tucked up against the floor under the valve. Splicing to my stock switch harness was a snap and works perfectly. Lights on the switches even illuminate when the valves are open. Here’s hoping these last the life of the boat!

• 1 year later...

So I have had the port side DrainMaster more or less not work for quite some time and I finally got fed up with folding myself into an origami swan and manually opening and closing while enjoying snoots of carbon monoxide. I ordered and received a new DM gate, and with much swearing, abraded and bruised knuckles and more origami, I got the thing changed out. It took me a few minutes to realize I could separate the plumbing in order to get the old assembly out and put the new one in. I can absolutely confirm that replacing and tightening the bolts is a b!@#$. I had to call on my 25 years of surgical experience to get it done, and now see why it says not to over tighten - mainly so the operator won't feel bad about only being able to finger tighten the bottom bolts on both sides.

Anyway, did I royally screw up by not finding about Valterra gates just now, and if it happens again and one or both needs to be replaced should I go with Valterra and aside from the wiring is the install the same? I will say I absolutely hate (if that is strong enough of a word) the momentary switches, and would like for someone other than me to run new wires and put a different type of switch in.

5 hours ago, LSU1990 said:

So I have had the port side DrainMaster more or less not work for quite some time and I finally got fed up with folding myself into an origami swan and manually opening and closing while enjoying snoots of carbon monoxide. I ordered and received a new DM gate, and with much swearing, abraded and bruised knuckles and more origami, I got the thing changed out. It took me a few minutes to realize I could separate the plumbing in order to get the old assembly out and put the new one in. I can absolutely confirm that replacing and tightening the bolts is a b!@#$. I had to call on my 25 years of surgical experience to get it done, and now see why it says not to over tighten - mainly so the operator won't feel bad about only being able to finger tighten the bottom bolts on both sides.

Anyway, did I royally screw up by not finding about Valterra gates just now, and if it happens again and one or both needs to be replaced should I go with Valterra and aside from the wiring is the install the same? I will say I absolutely hate (if that is strong enough of a word) the momentary switches, and would like for someone other than me to run new wires and put a different type of switch in.

Yes. I just installed new valterra Valves with valterra switches and it’s night and day. I’m unsure about new switches to pair with your drainmaster valves but you would just tap into the existing wiring. With 25 plus years or surgical experience I imagine you can crimp some wires together😜. But someone might be able to tell you if there are other switches you can use or maybe call Drainmaster to inquire. Cheers. 

The one thing I would say is that the Valterra is overall a physically larger unit, so almost inconceivably it is even more of a BI%ch to deal with the nuts and bolts at the bottom than it is with the DM gates.  They certainly do seem like a much more robust product, though.  I'm only t the start of my second season with the Valterras, so too soon to say if they'll have more longevity than my DMs did, but I sure hope so.

When test driving a new to me 2012 F21 the port drainmaster would not open and it did help me to bring down the price. I changed out both drainmasters to Valterras and kept my momentary switches. From what I have read, most people have issues with them at some point. Too late now to change. Next time use Valterra.

• 10 months later...