2018 B52 23 surf set up redux and challenging conventional set up

Birddog7.62

Hey,

We just had our first surf session this year and wanted to revisit a few things. current set up was all bags full and 300LBs of lead in the nose with just 3 people in the boat. Felt like the wave lacked push. My buddy has been contending that while the weight in the nose lengthens the pocket, it lacks push. All last year he was draining the front off a bit and insisting that it was better with less weight up front. We moved the 300lbs to the rear, surfside and the push increase was very noticeable. Tallest with most push seemed to be around 10.8 to 11.0

1st question, where should the pin placement be on the tabs? mine is on the 2nd to last spot. I thought I read somewhere that it should be on the last spot?

2nd question, has anyone gone crazy with adding bags in different spots to see how much bigger you can get the wave? Im going to add another 200lbs of lead and trying playing around with a 900lb bag in different spots.

post-3487-0-18951700-1560015723_thumb.jpeg

I'm running 750 lbs total "lead".  300 in nose under front cushion, 150 behind driver's seat, 150 under observer seat, 50 on top of rear floor drain and 50 each side under P&P bags.  Fill all ballast and drain a little from bow depedning on size of crew and where they sit.  Best wave I have had by far!

I'm running 750 lbs total "lead". 300 in nose under front cushion, 150 behind driver's seat, 150 under observer seat, 50 on top of rear floor drain and 50 each side under P&P bags. Fill all ballast and drain a little from bow depedning on size of crew and where they sit. Best wave I have had by far!

Dang man. I thought these things were supposed to be able to just drop in the water and go. My cousin has one and we just filled factory ballast plus the PNP end it was by far the best way if I had ever seen. Does it really get that much better?

• 11 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, mxvet said:

hmm, maybe just chain the bags together? Otherwise you would have to vent it.

I'd rather run water ballast vs lead as well. I might try this - I have a reversible on my bow bag already. 

MX

Did you ever tie floor bag into front reversible?  I did this yesterday on new one, fills great but when drain, after bow is drained I am sucking air from somewhere and floor bag not draining properly.  I wonder if there is check valve on front bag vent?  If not, maybe where I am pulling air?

On 5/30/2020 at 6:15 AM, The Donfather said:

A lot also depends on the number in your crew. I run 8-10 in our crew so less lead is needed.

yeah that's rare for me especially for mid week surf sessions usually just 3-4 of us. no cops on the local lake early in the season so we even run 2 guys. I can be on the lake in 4 mins from the time the boat comes out of the garage though so it easier for me to just load up and go.