2015 F22 Tomcat High Altitude Prop?

Hi All,

I've been searching for answers on this and have come up with the below options

Will be using boat on the below 2 lakes:

Folsom: 25% of time (elevation 500 feet)

Tahoe:75% of time (elevation 6000 feet)

Boat has additional PNP ballast for a total of 4000 pounds with Indmar 350

Trans is 1.5 I believe based on year.

Acme recommended the 2079 but from what I have read this keeps RPM's extremely high

My goal is to have something that can get me out of the hole but also allows the boat to cruise at high altitude.

I've also read that moving to a 15" prop can help

Considering the 2315, 2313 or super aggressive 2419

​Leaning towards the 2315

Goal is to balance low end pull and surf around 3800rpm, not give up too much top end and maintain some sort of GPH

Any risk of gel coat burn with a 15"?

Any ideas or opinions greatly appreciated!

Yeah the 2079 is probably a starting point but you could potentially need more aggressive.  Unfortunately, you can't really have both low cruising rpm/high cruising speed AND out of the hole power to get a big load on plane.  It's pretty much always a compromise of one or the other.

You really might want to consider having two props - one for Folsom and one for Tahoe.  You can get away with considerably more pitch at Folsom, allowing a less frenetic cruising rpm.

I run at 5200 ft+ almost exclusively. 2016 F22 1.5 trans, GSA. Raptor 400

Using the ACME 2937, a prop ACME actually made for the F22 at elevation.

I'm able to fill stock ballast, plus 600 in each locker and 600 up front between sacks and lead and I can surf at 4000 RPM. 11.5 MPH regular and 12 MPH goofy.

I have to use less ballast if I have a heavy crew, but that's my usual weight setup with about 3/4 tank of gas or less.

Full tank of gas I've not had great luck with good waves, fwiw.

On a side note, some twit mixed up the Surf Cookbook. The first several columns, someone sorted them without sorting the rest of the rows.

I'll try to fix it tomorrow:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LkvTTvD6zbI8gORCEsvKuEI2D4IdqTGZDSoiFgVdGn4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a 2419 that I used on a 2014 F22. I sold the boat and would sell the prop. It worked great with no gel burn. With all of these prop changes you need to be careful with WOT. I’m not sure but I bet your WOT is 4800-5200 rpm. These short pitch props can easily exceed the recommendations. I certainly could not run wide open with the 2419 without a load in the boat BUT, 10 people in the boat and loaded with gear, water and beer, it popped up on plane with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run at 5200 ft+ almost exclusively. 2016 F22 1.5 trans, GSA. Raptor 400

Using the ACME 2937, a prop ACME actually made for the F22 at elevation.

I'm able to fill stock ballast, plus 600 in each locker and 600 up front between sacks and lead and I can surf at 4000 RPM. 11.5 MPH regular and 12 MPH goofy.

I have to use less ballast if I have a heavy crew, but that's my usual weight setup with about 3/4 tank of gas or less.

Full tank of gas I've not had great luck with good waves, fwiw.

On a side note, some twit mixed up the Surf Cookbook. The first several columns, someone sorted them without sorting the rest of the rows.

I'll try to fix it tomorrow:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LkvTTvD6zbI8gORCEsvKuEI2D4IdqTGZDSoiFgVdGn4/edit?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This is the ticket for you. Start with this prop and if rpm is too high, add .030 cup to it via a prop shop. Worked for me on 16 B52

Hi thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like 15" is the way to go with this boat given the elevation.

Leaning towards the 2419 but will also check out the 2937

I will make sure to keep RPM under 5k when not under load

What is a rough estimation of top speed with these props without ballast at 6000 ft elevation?

I am running the 2419, 2315 is my back up.  2419 for my boat, 350 Indmar runs slightly higher RPM's than the 2315.  100-200 at the most.  Props seem to perform equally.  No gel goat burn that I can see.  When I was running the 2315 I would get a vibration if the boat was porpoising, not sure if it was cavatation or what. Never any issue out of the hole or while surfing or general cruising.  Top speed for me is 34 mph.  2419 has been a great prop.

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, Mucker626 said:

I am running the 2419, 2315 is my back up.  2419 for my boat, 350 Indmar runs slightly higher RPM's than the 2315.  100-200 at the most.  Props seem to perform equally.  No gel goat burn that I can see.  When I was running the 2315 I would get a vibration if the boat was porpoising, not sure if it was cavatation or what. Never any issue out of the hole or while surfing or general cruising.  Top speed for me is 34 mph.  2419 has been a great prop.

@Mucker626 I just bought a 2014 F22.  Stock ballasts I believe are 1800#.  I'm thinking about adding around 700-800 lbs per side.  Just wondering if that is going to be too much if I've got 10 people in the boat?  What weight did you have in your boat with the 2419?  And what altitude ?  Thanks!