I'm clueless and need help!

Clint

I am totally new to the forum and in the last couple days have learned a lot but I am probably just as confused as well. Long story short I used to wakeboard 10 to 15 years ago with my centurion and haven't had a boat in a long time a good friend gave me an incredible deal on this boat and I wanted to get back into it. Once I started surfing I fell in love but yet I can't see it to get it right.

So here is my issue I have an incredibly awesome boat that I know nothing about! I have really tried to look at other topics and what people have done but I am lost. Some say to put weight in the bow but then the very next thread tells me not to because I have a center tab. I also have the switch surf system and have recently bought a Delta 2.0 and don't even know what side of the boat to put it on or if I should even use it at all? I have heard of people raising their platforms it also seems like other people have done something with the pins on the surf plates I just don't even know where to start. If anyone is willing to help me please do so I will post pictures as good as I can of what I have in the setup.

I am trying to get the best surf wave I can I am regular so only care about that side for now and I have been able to surf behind the boat one time it was pretty good I was able to go for quite a while with no rope and then last time I went out and did it for a short period Maybe a minute or two, but it's never quite right. when I look at the pictures of other people's waves it's ridiculous compared to mine. Any suggestions welcomed, thanks!

IMG_20200518_184053.jpg

IMG_20200518_184527.jpg

IMG_20200518_184516.jpg

IMG_20200518_184028.jpg

IMG_20200518_184023.jpg

IMG_20200518_184016.jpg

IMG_20200518_183810.jpg

IMG_20200518_183821.jpg

IMG_20200518_183831.jpg

IMG_20200518_183926.jpg

IMG_20200518_183948.jpg

Looks like a 2016 b52 21ft?  For you I would think to move the pins in the surf tabs to the furthest position up and out (away from boat).  Full ballast and no cav plate deployment at speed of 10.8 should be a good wave.  Some lead in nose to help lengthen maybe a good tool to fine tune it.  I have a 2019 23ft so I know setup may be a little different but that's where I would start if that boat were mine.  I know others on here have "slapped" those boats (at least I think it went up to year 2016) and had better waves with gates on the sides than GSA tabs on the back bottom (others more experienced with this year will chime in and fix where I steered you wrong in any way).  

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesnt.  

If it is anything like my 2017, I always just filled it up all the way or most the way, about 10.9 give or take and drain the opposite surf side till the wave looked nice. If you have people in the boat throw them up on the bow, or use less wait total and a little center tab if needed to help bring the bow rise down. It takes time, but eventually youll get it. basically you want it to lean to the surf side a bit, and it will make the wave nice

It is a B-52 21-ft 2016. When these guys slap the boats does that mean they remove the factory surf tabs on the bottom? Is the Delta 2.0 thing I bought going to help is it in the right position in the picture? when in surf mode if you go and look at the trim tab positioning mine doesn't show them on the screen. anytime I have tried to manually adjust him they move on the screen but then it goes right back down to zero. Also I have heard there are four digit codes you can apply do I need to know anything about that?

When you say drain the opposite side I'm assuming you just hit the open button and drive forward to get a little bit of the water out of the big bags in the lockers? I have heard some people say to drain the factory hard tanks is that possible to do without draining the bags?

Thanks again for your help

You dont want to run stock surf system and also a suck gate.  For those who have "slapped" their boat permanently,  they do remove stock surf system but I'm not sure if it would be worth it for your boat. If you dont want to run stock system and want to fill boat full and put on suck gate you can try that.  Otherwise I'd say use stock system with no suck gate and fill full, little extra weight in nose to lengthen.  And to fine tune and clean face of wave, drain a little from opposite side ballast. (I dont know how the ballast is set up on your year as mine has manual levers to drain hard tanks which also pulls the water out if bags) doesn't really matter if hard tank or bag as long as you drain from opposite side that your surfing till wave looks clean. And I think consensus was placing pins on furthest away hole on the surf tabs.  

On 5/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, Clint said:

It is a B-52 21-ft 2016. When these guys slap the boats does that mean they remove the factory surf tabs on the bottom? Is the Delta 2.0 thing I bought going to help is it in the right position in the picture? when in surf mode if you go and look at the trim tab positioning mine doesn't show them on the screen. anytime I have tried to manually adjust him they move on the screen but then it goes right back down to zero. Also I have heard there are four digit codes you can apply do I need to know anything about that?

When you say drain the opposite side I'm assuming you just hit the open button and drive forward to get a little bit of the water out of the big bags in the lockers? I have heard some people say to drain the factory hard tanks is that possible to do without draining the bags?

Thanks again for your help

Yes, just get up to surf speed, then drain the opposite side with the drain valves. yours are probably the electric ones. but will drain while driving as normal. Then watch the wave and get it to look as best as possible. after that, you can play with the speed in small changes, as well as center trim if you prefer. Personally I try to use the least amount as possible.  Also have people move around the boat to tune as well, It actually helps. but ive found the easiest is to put most up front favoring the surf side if possible. no need to use the suck gate if you have the switch system. 

In order to keep the nose of the boat down I have to use the center tab all the way. Apparently mine are the gravity fill and the water does exit quickly if I open while moving forward. I can do so I guess I just really have to watch. I ordered a 425 v-shaped bag from WakeMakers for the front it should be here in a few days I'm hoping that will solve my problems. I also did notice that the platform digs into the water like some people have said but I don't know how much it did to the wave at all it looked to me like it just affected the look and made some splashing. Unfortunately at our lake this is the largest boat we're allowed to have.

1 hour ago, Clint said:

In order to keep the nose of the boat down I have to use the center tab all the way. Apparently mine are the gravity fill and the water does exit quickly if I open while moving forward. I can do so I guess I just really have to watch. I ordered a 425 v-shaped bag from WakeMakers for the front it should be here in a few days I'm hoping that will solve my problems. I also did notice that the platform digs into the water like some people have said but I don't know how much it did to the wave at all it looked to me like it just affected the look and made some splashing. Unfortunately at our lake this is the largest boat we're allowed to have.

yea if the center tab is down all the way I dont see the wave being very nice. I heard the more you use it the less push you get. use less weight in the ballast if needed. maybe half or less center tab if needed

Well that makes some sense because I can get the wave looking pretty decent not very long but there is hardly actually no push at all I'll put it that way and I know how to ride I'm not an expert but when there is push I'm pretty good and I can tell real quick if there is or there isn't.

You need to fill all of the ballast.  Hard tanks open (switches to the left of the steering wheel) until the guage reads full.  Close the tank valves.  Now turn on the switches for the bags and fill those suckers all the way up (those are the switches on the bottom row of the switch panel to the right of the steering wheel).  Start out using no center plate deployment at all - too much will definitely ruin your wave. You can experiment with deployment of the center tab and see how it impacts the wave. In my experience, anything approaching half or more pretty much destroys the wave.  Bow rise is going to happen - you may need to stand while driving to see over the bow if you don't have a lot of weight up there.  It's just a fact of life with these boats - you aren't going to be able to have a level riding boat and a good wave at the same time.  You can run 600 - 800 lbs up front to bring the nose down a bit and lengthen the pocket of the wave considerably.  Your boat should also have a screen on the dash to control the surf system and speed.  If that isn't working for some reason, you can use the switches to manually control the surf system.  Deploy one side only and watch the wave form as you cross through 9 mph or so.  Ideal surf speed will depend on your preference but likely be somewhere between 10.5 - 11.5 mph (though we run as fast as 12.4 in my 16 F22).  Speed has a significant impact on how "hard" the wave is (i.e. push). In our boat, more speed = a harder wave.  Lots of weight + the right speed makes a large and solid wave behind these boats.

Also, with the factory surf system you have, you do not need the stick-on wakeshaper.

Thanks. I just got 500 lb of lead and a v-shaped sack for the bell that's 500 max I put 300 of the lead up front and planned on filling the sack about half full I put the other 200 in a line down the left side of the boat and we will try that today.

Sounds good!  If you aren't satisfied with the outcome, take a picture of the wave and post it up - that might help us diagnose further.  Just to be sure - you are deploying the surf tab, correct?  Are you using the center screen to control the system & your speed?  Or are you manually using the switches on the side panel down by your right knee?

The other thing is that if you are new to surfing, it is important to realize that pretty small differences in your foot/weight placement on the board can have a very dramatic effect on the perceived power of the wave.  Unless you are confident that your stance is working well for you, you might also consider having somebody take a picture of you on your board on the wave.  Being a couple of inches further forward on the board can make a wave that initially felt weak all of the sudden come alive.

I'm using no center anymore cuz the weight has helped. Been running 10.8-11.4. wave looks ok but push just isn't quite there. I'll try to get pictures but it's just me my wife and the little ones.