Thoughts on changing gear ratio on 2014 F22 L96

I have been boating a lot more at higher elevations and the 2014 F22 with the L96 410HP motor struggles with the load and I often have to dump water to get to surf speed. I was thinking about a couple options but haven't really done any in-depth research. Has anyone heard about options to change gear ratio to 1.78? 

I have the 1.5 Gear ratio in my 2016 F22, ford raptor 6.2L 400.  I boat at 5,100 95% of the time. I'm still able to surf at 4-4100 RPM with about 5,000 lbs weight added, plus a family or two.

The difference is probably your Prop, I'm running an ACME 2937, which, btw, was made specifically for a high-elevation surfpig F22.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, mxvet said:

2937 will work, I also ran this in my 2016 23'. I added .030 cup to it as well to bring rpm down to around ~3600 RPM

What elevation were you running at?  And which engine?

You were able to surf at full weight AND be at 3600 RPM?  That might be worth it in gas savings alone.  

What was your top speed after you added the cup (you ended up with .105 cup?)?

We ran that boat at 4800 - 6000 ft. Full ballast and bow weight. 3600- 3800 on smooth water with 440. I never really payed much attention to top speed, but I know I could go over 30MPH. I played with several props and the 2937 with .030 (which is really the next prop) was the ticket.

• 11 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 7:48 AM, oboyskibum said:

I ordered at 2937 so we will see how it rolls compared to the OJ. Looks like I will have a couple of props to sell, I seem to be collecting them.

@oboyskibum any update on this prop situation? I am having the exact same issue on my 13 f21....