Boat keeps going into limp mode

This weekend my 2014 F22 l96 indmar motor kept going into limp mode and won't seem to run properly. After a battery/perko off reset sometimes it would run to 10 minutes and sometimes 2. This happened last year and earlier this year a couple times and seemed to happen when I was listening to the stereo really loud. We were not surfing just tubing so the motor wasn't pulling really big load. Also happened during just cruising.

troubleshooting: Temps and fluids look good. No audible issues while under way. Disconnected stereo, amps and additional batteries, disconnected Pumps and switches. Thinking maybe something I added was causing the issue. Still went into limp mode. Volt meter batteries at 14.5 when running alternator was 14.5 as well at multiple RPM ranges. Messed with perfect pass setting for speed and RPM but it was shutting down in some cases prior to reaching perfect pass.

I got two new batteries, because 2 of my 4 tested bad. I ran the boat on perko switch 1 ( starting battery) everything ran fine. Shutdown and Switched over to perko 2 (stereo batteries  3 of them) and the boat wen into limp mode.  Shutdown switched to 1 and went into limp mode. Shutdown again for a little longer and it ran fine.

I am wondering if I have an alternator issue, not putting out enough amps. I checked the voltage and it seems fine.

Any ideas?

I had a similar issue with my 2014 with the 5.7 Indmar.  I lost a chunk off my impeller and it got stuck in the transmission cooler.  Motor temp never got hot and everything else appeared fine. Boat would randomly kick into limp mode.  I started first at the impeller since I had just done plugs, cap, and rotor, and it was time to change it anyways.  I found a chunk missing from the impeller and tracked it down to the transmission cooler.  All has been fine since, over 100 hours.

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the impeller at the start of the year and the old one was in great shape. This happened to me last year but only a couple of time. How did you get the impeller pieces out of the cooler?

Update: I replaced 2 of my 4 batteries and now it only happened once on Friday and once Saturday, but I wasn't able to reproduce it with combination of battery settings. Going to install and ARC and get another new house battery and run on only 2 house batteries instead of 3.

To check the transmission cooler, just take the water hose off both ends and looked to see if anything is stuck in the screen. 

This video may help you if you don't know what the transmission cooler looks like, has other good tips as well regarding the cooling system.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced all my batteries and it seems to help the issue, but this weekend we took the boat up to flaming gorge for the 4th and now it seems like any time I get the boat loaded up to surf it goes into limp mode, with little to no load on the boat it seems fine.  Still no sign of motor or other issues.

Any other ideas?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...