Recently purchased a used 2000 MB Sports Boss 190 with the GM 350 5.7l V8. Took it out a few times now and each time it runs GREAT!.. for a while, but after about an hour, the motor starts loosing power while cruising. It Bogs down and if I don't pull the throttle back to idle or neutral, it dies. Starts right back up without hesitation and idles in gear just fine, but once the power loss starts (after an hour or so of operation), it wont maintain any speed above 1k RPM and will bog down again. 

I've replaced the fuel filter, low pressure fuel pump, high pressure fuel pump and spark plugs and it's still happening. Engine temp on the gauge is constant 160 with no indication of overheating. Oil pressure seems normal. Any ideas what else could cause this issue? I'm stumped!

• 1 year later...

You ever figure this out? I'm dealing with a very similar issue. I've traced mine to a fuel issue. It runs fine with 43 psi at the injection rail, then after about 40min. It drops fuel pressure to 10psi and sputters and pops. I can idle back to the launch but that's about it. Hopefully you've fixed yours by now. Let me know what your issue ended up being.

3 hours ago, Renarderickson said:

You ever figure this out? I'm dealing with a very similar issue. I've traced mine to a fuel issue. It runs fine with 43 psi at the injection rail, then after about 40min. It drops fuel pressure to 10psi and sputters and pops. I can idle back to the launch but that's about it. Hopefully you've fixed yours by now. Let me know what your issue ended up being.

sounds like you need a fuel pump

I thought mine needed a fuel pump also. Ordered one, and while I waited for it to show up I did some more diagnostics. Turns out my high pressure pump was cutting out, exact same symptoms. Ran for 40min then just sputters and pops then I'd idle back to boat launch. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it while running and could watch the pressure go from 43-45 psi. To 10psi when the issue occurred. The 10 psi was my low pressure pump still working, hp pump was crapping out. Ran the boat with a voltage meter hooked to the hp pump and viola, I was losing voltage. Replaced the relay with a $20 part from oriely's (which is a blower fan relay off a 98 chevy pickup) and no more issues, I do however have a spare fuel pump now. Got a smoking deal on this boat (2000 mb boss 210, 300hrs.) Because of a 20 dollar part. 

1 hour ago, Renarderickson said:

I thought mine needed a fuel pump also. Ordered one, and while I waited for it to show up I did some more diagnostics. Turns out my high pressure pump was cutting out, exact same symptoms. Ran for 40min then just sputters and pops then I'd idle back to boat launch. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it while running and could watch the pressure go from 43-45 psi. To 10psi when the issue occurred. The 10 psi was my low pressure pump still working, hp pump was crapping out. Ran the boat with a voltage meter hooked to the hp pump and viola, I was losing voltage. Replaced the relay with a $20 part from oriely's (which is a blower fan relay off a 98 chevy pickup) and no more issues, I do however have a spare fuel pump now. Got a smoking deal on this boat (2000 mb boss 210, 300hrs.) Because of a 20 dollar part. 

great find!. I bet HP and LP share the same power source, which would explain your loss in low pressure as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...