Throttle help, Livorsi

Throttle control box help…

Well shit.  We have a 2012 21 Tomcat with what I believe is a Livorsi Throttle assembly.  Here is my situation.  The throttle seems a little loose, like it wiggles excessively side to side (port-starboard). It has been getting progressively worse over the past few outings this year.  It seems like I just need to tighten up a nut or something and make the throttle lever a little more firm and take the slack out of it.  I tried undoing the little hex head screw that holds the throttle button thingy but was unable to get the button to come out.  I called the dealer and they said to undo the hex screw and push the throttle all the way forward and it “Might” come out. My thought is to see if there is a nut or something in there I can tighten up.  This was before things got a little worse…

We have used the boat a few times since this became an issue and each time it seems to get worse.  Progression of events.  Throttle first took a bit to get it to lock in Neutral.  When it did lock in N, the boat was actually in N.  That got a little worse every time we drove it.  I found that it would lock into neutral easier when I applied presser to the throttle lever and pushed the pivot point into the side of the boat (towards the throttle assembly).  That has gotten worse and now doesn’t seem to be working either.  Currently the throttle might catch the N detent but still be in forward gear, it might not catch it but actually be in N or it might just go from F directly into R.

I spoke with the dealer again and they said we could just put a replacement throttle assembly in and they would call MB to order one.  Meanwhile I spoke with another shop-not an MB dealer but a good shop and they ran into a similar issue earlier this year and informed me that Livorsi doesn’t make this assembly anymore and they had to send it back to have it repaired-which took about a month.  This was probably back in March or April if my recollection of the conversation is correct. I head back from the MB dealer and they changed their tune, can’t replace it-have to send it back to get it repaired. I asked what was the replacement/upgraded assembly they referenced and was told they didn’t have one.

I have several questions; the non-mb dealer said they thought our boats were a little different because we have a cable actuated throttle but then it is fly-by-wire or something like that. I am probably not remembering what they said correctly but it seemed a little different with both cables and electronic stuff.  Is there in fact a replacement for our throttle assembly?  What is the best course of action, send it in for repair or try to replace it?  I am a little concerned that we will run into this problem again as our boat might be a 2012 but it only has 380ish hours on it.  Has anyone else ran into this problem?  Do you guys have any suggestions on how to proceed?  My plan at the moment is to try and pull the assembly and send it in to Livorsi…  I really need some suggestions, thoughts and or options.

Thanks

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3534.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3537.JPG

Hey Lunchbox,

Sorry to hear about your issue.  I have a 2011 MB B52 and my shifter broken last weekend.  I had to literally contact the manufacturing (in this case Seastar/Teleflex) and talk to them to find out what the assembly was and then literally search the country to find it, only found one place that had any in stock and they were in Seattle.  Link to that thread below.

I believe our throttles are electronic but the electronic sensor is driven by a cable (at least that is how mine is).  If I was you I would pull it out, take lots of pictures before messing with anything, and then start tightening things to see if that fixes the issues.  If that doesn't work you may have to send it off. 

Let me know if you have any questions and I will help out if I can.  

See if you have a small Allen head retaining screw on the bottom mb appearance plate. If so then loosen that and remove the plate and then you should have four screws that hold the throttle body. Take those acres out and unplug the harness. I had a great response from Livorsi. $150 repair good luck boat problems suck. 

4 hours ago, btbpreston said:

There are adjustments for the detent and friction, not sure if you've tried adjusting these already.

tapatalk_1563676687319.jpg

I assume you have to access them by taking the throttle assembly out of the "hole" or pull it through into the boat by the steering wheel?

• 2 weeks later...