Was warranty an issue when you bought your boat?

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Here's the quick version. I will be looking to order a boat in the next two weeks, and unfortunately, price and value per dollar are very important to me as I am by no means wealthy.

I darn near put a deposit on a Mastercraft NXT22 the other day because the price point was where I wanted to be ($88,795 decently optioned). I just figured I would go with whichever of the three "value" brands (Axis, MC NXT Line, ATX) that would give me the best deal on a 22 foot model. However, because I has bought my used sterndrive from BoatShack a few years ago and had a positive experience and because I think MB are the prettiest boats on the water, I thought I would at least go talk to them. I honestly thought MB's were in the 150k range, so I was very surprised to learn that a similarly optioned out MB was still in the five figure range (barely).

Anyway, here is my concern. Many of us buy (and pay extra for) a new boat because it comes with the security of a warranty that provides peace of mind and insulates us from unexpected expenses. Virtually every manufacturer offers a 5 year bow to stern warranty and MC even offers 7 years in their motors. This is the primary reason I almost signed the check at Utah Water Sports for that NXT22. MB has a 3 year warranty with 5 on the motor. This, to me, is the only drawback to the boat. I didn't want to spend more than 90k, but when I compare the MB to the MC or Axis, I definitely see 9k "more boat". The MB is bigger and has more options and seems much more custom that the NXT and its certainly less than the 24 foot model of the other brands commensurately optioned. 

I was just wondering if this was an issue when you guys/gals purchased your boats or am I reading way to much into this? Is their warranty inferior because the boat is less reliable or is it inferior because they feel the boat isn't going to break anyway? Just wondering what the thoughts are regarding this and if the shorter duration MB warranty was a factor in deciding between brands.

WHILE I GOT YOU....

One more question. Is the standard 6.2 good enough? I'm in Utah and typically have between 4-7 people on board (mix of kids and adutls). We usually boat at lakes around 5000 feet elevation. Jason at the boat shack told me that the base engine is perfect and told me that the vast majority of the boats he sells are the standard 6.2 400. Of course, he also knew that I was at the end of my budget rope so I am curious if that was just sales speak or if the base engine would really suffice. 

Thanks in advance for your responses .....I appreciate your input.

Last question first.  Yes, the Raptor 6.2, 400 will serve you very will at altitude. 

As for the warranty question.  Kind of a hard subject to answer with just a short one liner.  Warranty matters when you need it.  We are looking forward to delivery of our 4th MB in the next 10 days, or so.  This will be our 2nd 24' Tomcat.  Our '08, '12, '17's were all great boats.  We did have warranty issues with each of them.  Very minor really, but I was glad MB, and The Boat Shack stood firmly behind their product.  These are mechanical machines, and things will happen.  The reason we keep coming back to MB is because of their simplicity.  The items we've had to replace over the years were items that were readily available, and did not take a great deal of time to correct. 

One of the greatest advantages you'll find working with the whole team at The Boat Shack is their desire to create a relationship with each of the buyers of their boats.  You said the other manufacturers were offering longer warranties.  That's great, but in truth, each of the warranty items we've had to work through on our MB's has occured during the first 3 years anyway.  It seems like once they get settled into operating, they purr right along.  If, after the warranty has expired, you do have issues, that extended warranty won't keep you smiling if you don't have a good relationship with the dealer.  You'll just be one of the long list of repair orders hanging on the clip board.

I will say that I've had my B52 21since brand new in 2014 and thus year was my first mechanical issue. No issues with MB whatsoever, in fact they will even go out of their way to help even after your warranty has expired, the dealership you deal with might be another story altogether. One more thing you may ask yourself is how long you plan to hang on to her. If you trade every 2 years than warranty will never be an issue, if you're 5-10 years than you may work on it yourself or need to pony up for a shopand here is $125/hr

I can not speak of any motor other than the 5.7l indmar, nor can i speak on elevations.

Good luck

I appreciate the input guys. I have some big decisions to make, I only have one home so this will be the second biggest purchase of my life. I know it's a bit more coin, but the MB has a much more premium look without being much more expensive (if at all) than the other four entry level brands of ATX, MC NXT line, Axis, and Moomba. I guess Supreme is another option that has a more premium look, but I hear those will come in more than the MB when optioned equally. 

I feel fairly confident that The Boat Shack in Utah would take as good of care of me as much the "big dealers" with their huge service centers. It just comes down to how much value I put on the warranty of the other brands and deciding whether having an MB is worth about a 9k premium over the 22 foot models of the competition. Right now, the MB really gets me excited and "stirs the soul" more than the Mastercraft. Hopefully I can convince the general that it's worth the extra money. I'm stoked to hear that the base engine would be just fine here on Utah lakes.

Please keep more opinions coming if anyone has anything to add. 

I vouch for dealer support. The boat shack has treated me well.  my 2017 had warranty issues and as stated above, They were always quick to get me done.  I have a laundry list of items on my 2020, but they are pretty minor and I consider them "off season repair issues". More just quality issues and Im gonna chalk it up to being a "covid" boat. Im sure MB had to scramble to get all these boats done after the "shutdown" . for my boat was almost 2 months behind schedule. 

Personally I would go with the 440. I had that in my 2017, but my 2020 has the 400. that is the only thing I am very dissatisfied about. I run a little larger crew often, about 12 people, and I find the 400 falls just short, where the 440 had just enough to get it done. I can't even get a tuber up to speed without trimming down with the 400. Kind of depressing. 

7 hours ago, Bosshog said:

Jason/Mike Walker plus Kid Rock in service is a MB dealer dream. This dealership understands the market and relationships before and after the sale. You can’t go wrong 👍

Ok. I literally laughed out loud when I read Kid Rock. Spot on! 

4 hours ago, bloodiestcadaver said:

I vouch for dealer support. The boat shack has treated me well.  my 2017 had warranty issues and as stated above, They were always quick to get me done.  I have a laundry list of items on my 2020, but they are pretty minor and I consider them "off season repair issues". More just quality issues and Im gonna chalk it up to being a "covid" boat. Im sure MB had to scramble to get all these boats done after the "shutdown" . for my boat was almost 2 months behind schedule. 

Personally I would go with the 440. I had that in my 2017, but my 2020 has the 400. that is the only thing I am very dissatisfied about. I run a little larger crew often, about 12 people, and I find the 400 falls just short, where the 440 had just enough to get it done. I can't even get a tuber up to speed without trimming down with the 400. Kind of depressing. 

That's what I'm worried about. Ii would be hard to spend that much coin on a new boat and have it not be able to perform. Although I cant see us having more than 10 in the boat ever. 

I'm sure that adds another 7-8k to the price making it even a tougher sell to my wife (compared to high 80's) for some other brands. I'm just so drawn to the MB. It's just when you spend a fair amount of money like that, I want to LOVE the boat and always do the "look back" when I'm walking away from it. I don't want to look back at the boat when I park it and say "I wish I would have got the XXX".

The easiest way to settle the engine debate is to ask Jason to take you out for a demo in the new 23' Alpha they are using for their demo boat.  It has the 400 in it, and I would wager to say if the 23' works great with the 400, the 22' Alpha would work equally well.  Again one of the very huge advantages of working with The Boat Shack.  They not only stand behind the MB line with every fiber of their being (remember they don't sell multiple lines of manufacturers' boats), they'll gladly SHOW you why they stand behind the MB line.

1 hour ago, Guppydriver said:

That's what I'm worried about. Ii would be hard to spend that much coin on a new boat and have it not be able to perform. Although I cant see us having more than 10 in the boat ever. 

I'm sure that adds another 7-8k to the price making it even a tougher sell to my wife (compared to high 80's) for some other brands. I'm just so drawn to the MB. It's just when you spend a fair amount of money like that, I want to LOVE the boat and always do the "look back" when I'm walking away from it. I don't want to look back at the boat when I park it and say "I wish I would have got the XXX".

I would say, Had I not had the 440 before. I would have been satisfied with the 400. It gets the job done just fine. but Im with you price is very important. 

For sure go demo the boat before you make any decisions. I am going to go for a demo before I make a final decision. Surf the wave. Do not buy a boat without a demo. I brought my own bags to add weight when I demoed my F22 2014 with Jason/TBS. Bring your wife thats the most important part.

If the MB won't perform coming up to speed the way you expect with the 400 the other boats brands are most likely to perform the same or worse(not talking wave here people).

Everyone has different expectations and those may be based on what you have experienced in the past. For most people the 400 is great and works well, heck some people even love and swear by the older boats with the chev 350 motor.

If you consider the fact that what you are comparing are essentially mustangs. You have the Pony (V6) pretty you can fill the seats, and trunk and go for a spin. The GT or 5.0, same concept but the power and sound start to awaken your senses a bit more with a ton more love. Then you have the Roush, more power than you will be able to use at its full potential, however when those horses are needed they will always be at your fingertips. 

That being said you have a few choices to consider.  Drive em all and have fun doing it.

I have the 350 in mine, stock prop, 6-8 people on average, tubing surfing, and wakeboard with no issues. I had 14 in it one time one hell of a surf wake, part because of the human ballast, part because it wouldn't come up on plane.