MB VS. HIGH DOLLAR SURF BOAT

houghton/mb/tomcat

I've surfed behind both a Malibu LSV23 and a Nautique G23.  Both are truly awesome boats and the surfing was good.  However, I find the surf wave behind my F22 to be more powerful than what I experienced behind either of them.  Not as pretty as the Malibu and not as easily adjustable as the G23, but more powerful and frankly more fun to surf, in my opinion.  Wave aside, both of those boats were quieter than mine and ran at lower rpm, even though the malibu has essentially an identical drivetrain and prop to my F22.  The G is a whole other thing - different engine, 17" prop, etc.  Both of those boats alse ran with considerably less bow rise than my F22 (starts to come down 800 lbs in the bow of mine, though - still more rise), making them a bit more relaxing to pilot when at the helm.  I would also say that while our F22 makes a pretty intense wakeboarding wake, theirs are easier to keep clean on both sides at the same time.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:40 PM, OrangeTJ said:

I've surfed behind both a Malibu LSV23 and a Nautique G23.  Both are truly awesome boats and the surfing was good.  However, I find the surf wave behind my F22 to be more powerful than what I experienced behind either of them.  Not as pretty as the Malibu and not as easily adjustable as the G23, but more powerful and frankly more fun to surf, in my opinion.  Wave aside, both of those boats were quieter than mine and ran at lower rpm, even though the malibu has essentially an identical drivetrain and prop to my F22.  The G is a whole other thing - different engine, 17" prop, etc.  Both of those boats alse ran with considerably less bow rise than my F22 (starts to come down 800 lbs in the bow of mine, though - still more rise), making them a bit more relaxing to pilot when at the helm.  I would also say that while our F22 makes a pretty intense wakeboarding wake, theirs are easier to keep clean on both sides at the same time.

This is exactly my opinion.  The only other boat I really want to try & compare is the Centurion Fi23.  My only gripe on my 18 B52 was lack of adjust ability to the wave unless you sped up & or added more bow weight.  I would have liked to try the GSA kit to make the tabs go up or down with a dial like my 13 had but it was $1400 & I sold it anyway.

This summer I have had the chance to surf behind a Paragon and a Tige 25ZX, both are beautiful and the interior and other little things blow my MB out of the water....but if we are talking straight up surf wave and consistency I will take my MB all day! Yes the other boats have waves that are adjustable and "supposedly" fancier yada yada but unless you are a surf pro (which none of us are!!) do you really need that?! I feel that my wave is longer and has more push at the back of the wave than both those other boats do. The Tige wave was steep and massive but not long at all and I was always within 10 feet of the boat, the Paragon owner had just bought the boat and in his words hadn't "dialed" in the wave yet, but for a boat that is 300K shouldn't it come dialed in haha! My 2020 B52 has thrown the same, consistent beautiful wave from day one! I have messed around and added 500 pounds of lead to make it even better but from day 1 I would says it's just as good as the more expensive boat waves, I have 0 regrets buying my boat!

I spent about 1.5 hrs on a 2021 paragon w/the new engine and auto thruster on our private lake about 2 weeks ago. It is by far the best surf wake I have been on. I drove the boat while pulling a couple surfers as well. I did notice it didn't cut through the chop as well as your traditional v nose boats - had some bow bounce.

The Paragon is unbelievably nice all around, but I think I'd spend my money on a lambo or a plane or a vacation house or .... :0 

I paid  75 before fees for my  23 foot 2018 b52. It was used with 40 hours and she is not perfect but I feel like she is about 85% anything I would ever want in a boat. That extra 15% comes with exponential costs.  But I also didn't pay 300k for a fancy bathtub. Most of my coworkers  think I am a nut job for spending as much as I did on what I consider is now a bargain. 

12 hours ago, Couvmerk said:

I payed  75 before fees for my  23 foot 2018 b52. It was used with 40 hours and she is not perfect but I feel like she is about 85% anything I would ever want in a boat. That extra 15% comes with exponential costs.  But I also didn't pay 300k for fancy bathtub. Most of my coworkers  think I am a nut job for spending as much as I did on what I consider is now a bargain. 

Truth!

On 9/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, mxvet said:

I spent about 1.5 hrs on a 2021 paragon w/the new engine and auto thruster on our private lake about 2 weeks ago. It is by far the best surf wake I have been on. I drove the boat while pulling a couple surfers as well. I did notice it didn't cut through the chop as well as your traditional v nose boats - had some bow bounce.

The Paragon is unbelievably nice all around, but I think I'd spend my money on a lambo or a plane or a vacation house or .... :0 

which one? the 25 or the 23?

• 4 weeks later...

Except for the Centurion Ri or  (maybe) Fi series, the MB has a better surf wave (and at least as good) as anything on the market. 

And I'm not an MB owner..so no buyers bias. 

I have surfed quite a few boats. (although not a Paragon). My friend has a Ri257 and the wave is unbelievable, he paid a looottttt of money for that boat though.