2019 f22 owner here. So I’ve only towed with the tower down and brace bolted in place a couple times because the tower seemed to bounce quite a bit from my side view mirror vantage point. We towed it a few hundred miles recently With the tower down and secured, and upon arriving, the port side tower bolt had sheared and the tower speaker was broken. Has anyone else faced this while towing?  I’ve pretty much convinced myself I’ll never tow with it down again—I’d rather scrub bug guys than deal with this again. The dealer service guys couldn’t think of why it would have happened. 

1CD234E4-5121-4288-929F-913AF8A8F660.jpeg

C7ACF5EF-FFC6-40D1-99B6-477307CA90F0.jpeg

My guess would be the bolt was loose to begin with. I was told its not recommended to tow with the speakers attached. What interesting is Ive noticed my tower on my 2020 shakes a little on the water in the chop. My 2017 was rock solid no matter what. But I do have 6 towers instead of 2 on my 2017 and was hoping this is why. MB is very proud of there tower, It shouldn't have these issues IMO

I have a 2017 so I guess that would be the older of the newer towers 🤔

honestly I dont understand why so many people tow with it down.

In my mind, the full strength of the tower should be when it is up and locked in. I feel like you are much more likely to damage the tower something on the tower if it is down and sitting there cantilevered over on its side and bouncing every time you go over a bridge or rough road. Now, maybe the new new towers have some way of locking it in the down position (Mine doesnt) and that would minimize movement but your still putting a lot of force on the single pivot bolt.  Towing with it up and locked (2 points of connection in this case) is what it was designed for.     

I also always tow with my speakers attached, because of how they are attached hanging vertically (but also because i have 6 of them and I am lazy and don't want to pull them on and off all the time and wear out the quick connects). I cover them (and the racks, and the mirror) with speaker socks when I tow to keep the bogs off.

I feel pretty comfortable that I am not going to harm the mounts (or the speakers) for that matter because again, the mounts are at their strongest (hanging vertically rather than sideways).  The sideways mount has always bothered me. it looks like there would be a lot of loading on them with the speaker hanging out the side adding a cantilevered weight to mount. I would definitley remove them for towing.

just my .02😎  

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

We tow with the tower down and tower-down-cover on exclusively every week on the 2019. No issues - we do use the triangle brackets that they ship the boats with though and the cover seems to keep tension (downward) on the tower. Previous boat (2016) I towed with speakers on and tower up, had 2 speaker mounts break. Removed speakers for the tow after that. 

23 hours ago, mxvet said:

We tow with the tower down and tower-down-cover on exclusively every week on the 2019. No issues - we do use the triangle brackets that they ship the boats with though and the cover seems to keep tension (downward) on the tower. Previous boat (2016) I towed with speakers on and tower up, had 2 speaker mounts break. Removed speakers for the tow after that. 

When you say you use the triangle brackets, do you have one for each side? Ours only came with one, and I’m wondering if that’s the problem.