Why No 460 motor option?

oboyskibum

I think it would sell too now that folks are realizing the 440 isn't much of a boost over the 400, but they nix'd it because the exhaust was bigger changing the engine fit and they would need a different surf pipe or go w/o.... "Thats what heard anyway" 

When I asked about this when we bought our 2018 22TC.  They said they would put it in.  We ended up 440. would have done even the 575 but the 93 octane thing was a deal breaker.  I can’t even buy it in Ca let alone on the water.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2020 at 9:13 AM, Kbboehm said:

When I asked about this when we bought our 2018 22TC.  They said they would put it in.  We ended up 440. would have done even the 575 but the 93 octane thing was a deal breaker.  I can’t even buy it in Ca let alone on the water.  

Indmar lists the 460 as 93 octane as well. Don't even have it available in UT

5 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

Indmar lists the 460 as 93 octane as well. Don't even have it available in UT

I had the 575. Ran 91.  I was a beast of a motor.  Many that rode in her can tell you that.

I pulled the Polar Bear event one year. They did not have 91 on the lake. I used Octane boost to accommodate the issue. It ran fantastic. I had 8 groups of people, with me and the wife that was 10 in the boat for all 8 sets. A couple of times we had 2 photographers. So those groups we had 12 in the boat.

Boat ran full ballast plus 400 leads.

45 minutes ago, oboyskibum said:

Don, do you have any details on why no 460?

A good friend of mine in Utah has had the 575 in his last Two Supra's, he hasn't had any issues just running standard premium Utah gas, even on the water.

I agree the 460 seems like an absolutely perfect engine for us here at altitude. It's about half the cost of the 575 and about the same cost as the 440 (like I said, Moomba actually charges less for the 460 than MB does for the 440). The 440 just doesn't provide that much bang for that much buck. 

I read somewhere that for every 1000' feet of elevation your octane requirements decrease by a point or so (never verified). But the common consensus is that we don't have 93 in Utah because we don't need it. Even if that's true and "our" 91 is as good as sea level 93, I would be reticent about giving Indmar any excuse to deny a warranty claim.

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

do they not give it a variance  91-93octane  i thought on the indmar site

I should look before I post. Well done!

The website doesn't list a variance, but page 2-1 of the operators manual states:

Our engines, except for the 460 Models and the Supercharged 575, are designed to run on mid-range (89 octane) fuel. The 460 and SC575 are designed to run on Premium (91-93 octane) fuel. Using fuel with too low octane rating will reduce the performance in the engine and may cause catastrophic engine damage that is not covered by Indmar’s Limited Warranty. There are no substitutes for the correct octane fuel. Octane booster chemicals that are available at auto parts stores are not enough to raise 87 octane fuel to 89 octane or to raise 89 octane to 91