Jump to content

Are MB's really bigger than the competitions same size boat?


Recommended Posts

I'm still fighting the fight trying to do everything I can to get into a MB. Supreme S238 is out because of wave and lack of dealer aggressiveness. NXT is out because of value. Axis is out because of fit and finish and I just can't buy a boat with that tower.

TBS in Utah has been so cool and they are doing everything they can (I bought my I/O there) to earn my business, but MB is a little above my price range. I want a boat >22 feet because I have a big family and like to take the kids friends.  My compromise is the Moomba product. Don't laugh, they aren't the Moomba of 10 years ago. Lot of boat with good fit and finish for the money. They have the max and  the new mojo coming out that are both over 22 feet...big deep boats.  Are they MB nice? Hell no, but I'm sure they would be a great boat for the money and they are both within budget compared to the B52/A (my wife doesn't want a classic because she says she doesn't feel like she is "in" them when she is seated. )

BUT...

MB is like that hot redheaded, totally tatted up girl with the short skirt at the bar drinking straight bourbon. You know you shouldn't but you just can't say no. 

Which brings me to something I was told at the TBS. They said that their 22' foot boats are like the competitors 23' boats and the 23' boats are...and so on.. I think it was something to do with how they measure them, that some companies measure from the bottom instead of straight across or something. 

Have you guys found that your boats seem bigger than comparably sized boats from other makers? The reason I ask is maybe going to the F22/A can get my price down without having to sacrifice much size compared to the Moomba. The only thing I don't like about the F22 is you have no bow storage at all because of the horseshoe bag, but if I can find a way to get into a F22, I'm sure I wouldn't regret a slightly smaller boat. Just not too smaller.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just coming out of a 2014 F22 and getting into a F22 Alpha.  One of my best friends has a 2018 Moomba Max which I’m also on quite a bit, so I see your internal debate.  Hands down, the F22 Alpha is miles above the Max when it comes to finish and customization.  The Max is an enormous boat with deeeeeeeep storage compartments.  With some fine tuning, the Max will throw a nice wave for surfing.  My old F22 threw a way better wakeboarding wake than the Max.  Honestly, I liked my surfing wave of my old F22 better but I needed lots of ballast on top of adding the GSA surf system after-market.

 

I’m not sure what the current out the door price is on a new Max, but my F22 Alpha was $115k and change, VERY well equipped with many upgrades.

 

You are absolutely correct about Moomba not being the Moomba of 10 years ago.  I previously owned a 2005 and a 2008 Moomba, and I see the progress Moomba has made.  I haven’t seen the new Mojo.  I’m just not a fan of the design of the Max.  I’m not sold on the Moomba’s Auto-wake system- many people can’t get it figured out without dealer help.  Moomba’s standard wake racks are junk.  If you go with Moomba, definitely upgrade.

 

I can’t vouch for the F22 Alpha performance because my boat is unfortunately going right into storage, but what I’ve seen on social media, the wave looks awesome.  Storage isn’t a major concern for me because I don’t store much in my lockers long term - all boards and life jackets go in and out daily.  The F22 Alpha still seemed like there was plenty of storage in my walk through.

 

What many people overlook is dealer experience.  How close is your dealer?  How do they respond to questions and warranty issues?  Certainly, you need to consider these things when making your choice.  In my area, the Moomba/Supra dealer has one salesperson I’d work with, but not the others.  I like the owner, but he is a salesman.  My MB dealer doesn’t feel like a salesman and has always been a straight shooter with me.  Even though there were a couple other brands I was interested in looking at, both the MB quality and dealer experience brought be right back to MB.

 

Will you be happy with a Moomba?  I’d say yes.  Will you still envy a MB if you buy a Moomba?....  Definitely!

942AAB38-F697-47D6-96AD-313E3BFC090B.jpeg

235B0DBD-9036-49B2-BA33-5B0005E38339.jpeg

31394374-1361-4C4F-A85F-437F3B96427F.jpeg

6F991A60-7238-472F-9102-957364B1FACF.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not.  I made the inquiry with the dealer, and he said that the 400 has been performing just fine.  Michigan isn’t high altitude.  I had the 410 Indmar in my old boat and it did great, even with adding another 2500 pounds of ballast on top of the stock ballast

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheese224 said:

I’m just coming out of a 2014 F22 and getting into a F22 Alpha.  One of my best friends has a 2018 Moomba Max which I’m also on quite a bit, so I see your internal debate.  Hands down, the F22 Alpha is miles above the Max when it comes to finish and customization.  The Max is an enormous boat with deeeeeeeep storage compartments.  With some fine tuning, the Max will throw a nice wave for surfing.  My old F22 threw a way better wakeboarding wake than the Max.  Honestly, I liked my surfing wave of my old F22 better but I needed lots of ballast on top of adding the GSA surf system after-market.

 

I’m not sure what the current out the door price is on a new Max, but my F22 Alpha was $115k and change, VERY well equipped with many upgrades.

 

You are absolutely correct about Moomba not being the Moomba of 10 years ago.  I previously owned a 2005 and a 2008 Moomba, and I see the progress Moomba has made.  I haven’t seen the new Mojo.  I’m just not a fan of the design of the Max.  I’m not sold on the Moomba’s Auto-wake system- many people can’t get it figured out without dealer help.  Moomba’s standard wake racks are junk.  If you go with Moomba, definitely upgrade.

 

I can’t vouch for the F22 Alpha performance because my boat is unfortunately going right into storage, but what I’ve seen on social media, the wave looks awesome.  Storage isn’t a major concern for me because I don’t store much in my lockers long term - all boards and life jackets go in and out daily.  The F22 Alpha still seemed like there was plenty of storage in my walk through.

 

What many people overlook is dealer experience.  How close is your dealer?  How do they respond to questions and warranty issues?  Certainly, you need to consider these things when making your choice.  In my area, the Moomba/Supra dealer has one salesperson I’d work with, but not the others.  I like the owner, but he is a salesman.  My MB dealer doesn’t feel like a salesman and has always been a straight shooter with me.  Even though there were a couple other brands I was interested in looking at, both the MB quality and dealer experience brought be right back to MB.

 

Will you be happy with a Moomba?  I’d say yes.  Will you still envy a MB if you buy a Moomba?....  Definitely!

942AAB38-F697-47D6-96AD-313E3BFC090B.jpeg

235B0DBD-9036-49B2-BA33-5B0005E38339.jpeg

31394374-1361-4C4F-A85F-437F3B96427F.jpeg

6F991A60-7238-472F-9102-957364B1FACF.jpeg

What a gorgeous boat. 

I appreciate your insight. Do your boat feel bigger than 22 feet? (I don't know if that makes sense). Is my dealer right when he says MB's are as big as others 22.5-23 footers?

If I went with an F22/A, it wouldn't be as loaded as yours. Very basic trailer, no metallic paint (I love the Sea foam and white), no docking lights, chill vinyl or theatre lights and the base engine (gulp...I'm in Utah). Probably only 4 tower speakers as well. Will probably one of the most barren MB's out there, I think virtually all of them have every option.

The Mojo will look like a Kaiyen, just bigger and will be pretty upscale. The Max is 91K otd, the Mojo is 101k OTD. I have a really aggressive quote from TBS that I was super excited about when I saw it, but I still have to add registration, doc and about 7.5% tax. I'm guessing 110K OTD for the MB.. quite a difference in money from the Max which is very vanilla (although it has a big screen now which is cool). 

I really need to win the lottery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheese224 said:

I did not.  I made the inquiry with the dealer, and he said that the 400 has been performing just fine.  Michigan isn’t high altitude.  I had the 410 Indmar in my old boat and it did great, even with adding another 2500 pounds of ballast on top of the stock ballast

O-

You gonna hold on to your F22 for another year? Did you ever get a chance to check out the Alphas at the TBS? They are sexy beasts !

Link to post
Share on other sites

What you're referring to is "feel of the space available."  A 22' boat is a 22' boat on the outside, but the way manufacturers design/ layout their interiors makes all the difference.  If you look at the interior (seating) space in the F22 you're looking at (classic, or Alpha matters not), and compare it to a competitor's interior space on their 22' boat, you're going to see there is more functional room in the MB as compared to the other boats.  Our first 23' B52 (2008 model) easily had the same space as same generation boats which were 1 to 2 feet larger.  In 2008 it was all about the way they pushed the rear seat all the way back to the front of the engine.  It's still a very similar function with today's MB's. 

If you don't believe me, take a tape measure, and do a direct comparison with the other brands you're looking at.  But be sure to hold you verbal surprise to yourself when you're at the other dealerships, because they'll be disappointed you called them on their sales pitch, and they were proved wrong.

I have a picture of a new 24' Alpha sitting next to a G25, and while I was uncertain of how a direct, physical comparison would go, the 24' Alpha makes the G25 look like a smaller brother.  Don't believe me?  Ask Jason at TBS to show you the pics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

What a gorgeous boat. 

I appreciate your insight. Do your boat feel bigger than 22 feet? (I don't know if that makes sense). Is my dealer right when he says MB's are as big as others 22.5-23 footers?

If I went with an F22/A, it wouldn't be as loaded as yours. Very basic trailer, no metallic paint (I love the Sea foam and white), no docking lights, chill vinyl or theatre lights and the base engine (gulp...I'm in Utah). Probably only 4 tower speakers as well. Will probably one of the most barren MB's out there, I think virtually all of them have every option.

The Mojo will look like a Kaiyen, just bigger and will be pretty upscale. The Max is 91K otd, the Mojo is 101k OTD. I have a really aggressive quote from TBS that I was super excited about when I saw it, but I still have to add registration, doc and about 7.5% tax. I'm guessing 110K OTD for the MB.. quite a difference in money from the Max which is very vanilla (although it has a big screen now which is cool). 

I really need to win the lottery. 

Space wise, my old F22 felt about the same as the Max when it came to seating, however the Max is much deeper.  My old F22 could easily fit 7-8 adults comfortably.  I even had 9 adults once for a lake event - a little tight, but it was only to/from the sandbar.  I have only spent a half hour the in new F22 Alpha and I was so excited and overwhelmed that I really didn’t get a good gage for how it felt.

 

I also have a very basic trailer.  The only time I tow my boat is to/from the dealer.  I’m lucky enough to live on a lake, so I don’t travel with the boat.

 

Chill vinyl is super expensive, so expensive that I took a hard pass.  I think the dealer said $1000 for every “click” (area selected).  I would have had to pay probably at least $4000 more if I had went with the chill options I wanted.  The dealer also mentioned some difficulty in cleaning it - very sensitive.

One option I regret not getting is the docking lights.  Not for the functionality, but because of the aesthetics.  I’m attaching a picture and the hull is formed to have them mounted and doesn’t look “right” without them.  I’m hoping the dealer can install them either this off season or the next.

059D2339-1180-4A13-ABCD-2A4592C6E933.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been in a ton of other 22 foot boats, but I can say that mine doesn't feel any larger overall than my friend's Axis T22.  Yes, mine has more room in the bow but his has a bit more behind the windshield.  My F22 certainly doesn't feel as big inside as another friend's G23 or another's Malibu LSV23, again especially behind the windshield.  In my family, everybody wants to ride in the bow so a bow-forward balance of space works well for us.  For what it is worth, we've had 14 people in our boat - adults and teenage kids.  It was 100% full to the brim but it worked and the boat performed beautifully, even running across Lake Tahoe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheese224 said:

Space wise, my old F22 felt about the same as the Max when it came to seating, however the Max is much deeper.  My old F22 could easily fit 7-8 adults comfortably.  I even had 9 adults once for a lake event - a little tight, but it was only to/from the sandbar.  I have only spent a half hour the in new F22 Alpha and I was so excited and overwhelmed that I really didn’t get a good gage for how it felt.

 

I also have a very basic trailer.  The only time I tow my boat is to/from the dealer.  I’m lucky enough to live on a lake, so I don’t travel with the boat.

 

Chill vinyl is super expensive, so expensive that I took a hard pass.  I think the dealer said $1000 for every “click” (area selected).  I would have had to pay probably at least $4000 more if I had went with the chill options I wanted.  The dealer also mentioned some difficulty in cleaning it - very sensitive.

One option I regret not getting is the docking lights.  Not for the functionality, but because of the aesthetics.  I’m attaching a picture and the hull is formed to have them mounted and doesn’t look “right” without them.  I’m hoping the dealer can install them either this off season or the next.

059D2339-1180-4A13-ABCD-2A4592C6E933.jpeg

Thanks for this post. I too, felt no need to spend SRP of $950 for these lights I would rarely, if ever, use. But they should come standard if the hull is literally shaped to accept them. I will definitely be doing this option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, OrangeTJ said:

I haven't been in a ton of other 22 foot boats, but I can say that mine doesn't feel any larger overall than my friend's Axis T22.  Yes, mine has more room in the bow but his has a bit more behind the windshield.  My F22 certainly doesn't feel as big inside as another friend's G23 or another's Malibu LSV23, again especially behind the windshield.  In my family, everybody wants to ride in the bow so a bow-forward balance of space works well for us.  For what it is worth, we've had 14 people in our boat - adults and teenage kids.  It was 100% full to the brim but it worked and the boat performed beautifully, even running across Lake Tahoe.

 

Is yours a classic Orange? I've never been in a F22 classic, but the Alpha looks big.  Like Provo said, it has a big feel to it. I can tell you it feels bigger than a 22" MC NXT. I will say that it seemed smaller than the 6" longer Max.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 9:27 PM, Guppydriver said:

 

Is yours a classic Orange? I've never been in a F22 classic, but the Alpha looks big.  Like Provo said, it has a big feel to it. I can tell you it feels bigger than a 22" MC NXT. I will say that it seemed smaller than the 6" longer Max.

Yes, mine is a 2016, which I guess makes it a "classic" now...lol.  The Alphas definitely look deeper but I have absolutely no complaints about mine, even if it is now the old style.  It's a keeper.  Just went out in a friend's new Axis A22 and I actually have to say that I do think mine feels a tad roomier inside.  Could just be my imagination, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...