I did it! TBS comes through.

Guppydriver

My long national nightmare is over...LOL! Ever since I bought my Starcraft little runabout from TBS 3-4 years ago, MB has been my (realistic) dream boat. The last year or two has seen some prices increases, especially with the Alpha and I was sure that the MB had set sail from our budget. I wanted to keep it in the five digit range, with some margin for reasonable fees and taxes.

You have probably seen many of my posts regarding the process, but one by one, I eliminated brands for various reasons. None were bad,  and maybe I just had unrealistic expectations. It is unruly and frustrating to be spending (what for me) is a ton of money only to be considered an entry level tow boat buyer expected to make a ton of compromises. I decided that the value proposition of the Moomba was probably the best alternative to the MB. Both brands do a great job of not demeaning you for only being able to afford a ~$100k boat. The Max was a little too vanilla for me and although I loved it's depth was, well,  too....ugly. If I am going to spend that kind of coin, I want to have the desire to look back and stare with my pride every time I park her. 

Which brought me to the not yet introduced Mojo. It was the size I wanted at 23 feet, much more refined than the Max (which honestly fills an interesting niche in their lineup) and came in about 103K OTD. Although it will, in essence, be a bigger Kaiyen, I was having a hard time buying a boat that I (or anyone) have never seen. The Mondo and Kaiyen are attractive, but the nose still looks like a bird beak and who's to say how well it will surf. I had to order now to have an April delivery and the dealer said they only have a few Mojo slots and if I didn't order soon, I was SOL for having a new boat next summer.  I'm sure it will be a kick ass boat, and it was leap of faith I felt I had to take, but it's still weird buying a boat sight unseen.

Anyway, yesterday I went to TBS one last time before heading over to Marine Products to write a check for a Mojo deposit. I went mainly to check on some work they are doing for my I/O so I can sell it. I took a moment to drool over a blue and silver 23/A. Except it wasn't a 23/A. It looked just as big as a B52 and I honestly thought it was, but it was actually a 22/A. I wanted a boat a little bigger than a 22', but this boat wasn't substantially smaller than the 23/A or Max and it seemed like a big 22 as far as 22 footers go. I asked for a quote for kicks and giggles. Mike and Jason came back with some very fair numbers, andyes, the 22 is quite a bit of a savings compared to the 23. In addition (and surprisingly), they offered me a very fair deal to trade in my Starcraft. I would get out of the repair bill and save some tax liability with the trade. It was honestly within a thousand bucks of what I was going to try to sell it for, and I didn't have to put in the time and expense of getting it ready to sell.  Those guys are so chill and it was honestly a great experience working with them on trying to make it work..

So I did it! Put down a deposit and traded in my boat for a brand new F22/A!  I feel like a kid on Christmas, with my spray date in either March or April! Now, it won't be the most loaded F22 out there, we had to make some budget compromises (like bungee racks, Raptor 400, regular paint, standard vinyl, 15 inch wheels, and no theatre lighting) but the MB's come pretty loaded even in standard form. 

Did I make some compromises?  Sure..

-A little smaller than I wanted (22.5-23) at 22'.

-No as much storage as the Moomba and less "tech".

- Substandard warranty compared to almost everyone else (this was the hardest compromise for me) and almost kept me away.

But in the end, I feel good about it. I got a known surf beast (that's why I bought it after all). I got a dealer that I really trust that's 9 minutes from my front door, which helped alleviate some of the warranty concerns. I got the ability to truly customize the appearance of the boat both inside and out. And more than anything, I got a boat that I think has the fit and finish and attention to detail not found in anything at it's price. 

So, I'll be sticking around for sure gents and ladies. Keep an eye out for me next summer in my SF green and white F22/A out at Deer Creek and Jordanelle.

33 minutes ago, oboyskibum said:

Congrats,

I can't wait to get more details!!

The Boat Shack - TBS really has a way of coming thru for its customers.

I am looking forward to talking to them about getting a new MB some time soon.

Thanks Orrian,

You and others on this board helped assuage some of my concerns...I'm super grateful.

Really liked the B52 but you have to draw the line somewhere, especially when you are already at the end of it as it is.  The only thing I wish was different on the F22 (besides not being bigger lol) is the lack of bow storage due to the horseshoe bag, but Jason said that, unlike the B52, the F22/A isn't a "always fill max bow ballast" boat. 

And ya, TBS was awesome. Boardco blew me off on the Supreme. They were nice and knowledgeable, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to answer an email and they were very reticent to take me on the water. The gravy is so tasty for them right now, I think they only really want to focus on selling Ri's at a premium. 

As long as I can fit 12 people in a pinch maybe two or three times a year, the F22 should be just fine. We normally have 5-8 on the boat about 95% of the time. 

I'll tell you, the Alpha styling isn't for everyone, but IMO, that thing looks menacing. Seriously one of sexiest boats on the water at any price point. If you don't have your own by April, hit me up, and I'll head to Pineview and give you a tow! 

2 hours ago, The Donfather said:

TBS is an awesome dealer.  I had the pleasure of working the boat show for them 2 years ago. I hope to do it again.  Congrats on the new ride and welcome to The MB Family.  You will be amazed by the wave it throws.

Thanks Donfather!! 

MB has been my dreamboat for years! I would have made some wonderful family memories on a Moomba (like I did with my little Starcraft I/O), but I just wasn't passionate about it. Regardless of what you buy, its too much damn money to spend to not LOVE it.  I saw my first MB a number of years ago all powder coated up and said..."That".  I know some of you dudes buy boats like I buy toilet paper, but I was emotional when I signed the paperwork, so blessed for the memories this will leave with my family. Time slows down when I'm on the water.

Don, you don't think I made a mistake by going with the 22' do you?  Do you think the wave will compare with a 23A for the most part? Let me know if you think I need to find a way to figure out the extra dough for the B52...

Mike and Jason say the F22/A is an entirely new beast, and can't even be compared to the old Tomcat.  They said their ratio of 22 to 23 sales are going up exponentially compared to the past when they ordered almost nothing but B52's. They also brought up an interesting point. They said the F22 is actually taller than the B52/A and the extra freeboard is something I will enjoy 100% of the time, while the extra 6 to  8 inches of interior space is something I will probably really benefit from around 5% percent of the time (I'll have more than 10 people on the boat maybe twice a season).

Aaron

2 hours ago, schill38 said:

I had the exact same experience with TBS, they are awesome! Glad it worked out for you and hope to see you up at Deer Creek next summer!

Thanks Schill!

I'll be there quite a bit! Look for the White F22/A with SF Green hull, accents, and tower! 

6 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

Thanks Donfather!! 

MB has been my dreamboat for years! I would have made some wonderful family memories on a Moomba (like I did with my little Starcraft I/O), but I just wasn't passionate about it. Regardless of what you buy, its too much damn money to spend to not LOVE it.  I saw my first MB a number of years ago all powder coated up and said..."That".  I know some of you dudes buy boats like I buy toilet paper, but I was emotional when I signed the paperwork, so blessed for the memories this will leave with my family. Time slows down when I'm on the water.

Don, you don't think I made a mistake by going with the 22' do you?  Do you think the wave will compare with a 23A for the most part? Let me know if you think I need to find a way to figure out the extra dough for the B52...

Mike and Jason say the F22/A is an entirely new beast, and can't even be compared to the old Tomcat.  They said their ratio of 22 to 23 sales are going up exponentially compared to the past when they ordered almost nothing but B52's. They also brought up an interesting point. They said the F22 is actually taller than the B52/A and the extra freeboard is something I will enjoy 100% of the time, while the extra 6 to  8 inches of interior space is something I will probably really benefit from around 5% percent of the time (I'll have more than 10 people on the boat maybe twice a season).

Aaron

Humble and thankful,  love it! I'm there with you,  the money I spent ordering my 19 b52 was Intense for me...largest purchase aside my house and building my cabin (that took years).  God has been good to me as well and I'm happy your dream came through.  Cant wait to see pics 

14 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

Thanks Donfather!! 

Aaron

Hi Aaron, 

Yes it is emotional buying a boat. It is about family enjoyment and memories. You will love the 22A

Jason and Mike are absolutely right. The new 22A is completely redesigned and cannot be compared to the 22 classic. I have test driven the 22 A a few months ago. There was Mike B, my wife and I in the boat. We were in 10 feet of water. The wave was amazing right out of the box. I believe it will be hard to figure which one throws a better wave now.  I have seen some pix of people 22A wave they are amazing.

Congrats again, It will be a long winter waiting for your new addition to the family.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, Guppydriver said:

Thanks Schill!

I'll be there quite a bit! Look for the White F22/A with SF Green hull, accents, and tower! 

I will for sure!! Plus wouldn't mind getting a pull behind the F22/A to see what it can do compared to my B52!!