Navionics on Iphone?

Guppydriver

So the Moomba I was going to buy (until I fell for the F22/A) had a mapping program on it's touchscreen that I thought would be cool for Lake Powell next year. You could drop breadcrumbs and set waypoints...it seemed cool.

Now that's not an option with no screen on the MB. I heard Navionics has a decent app for Ios...

Was wondering if any one has used it with success?

If so...

Does it require mobile service to work for navigation? Lake Powell has zero service and that's the only time I would use it. 

Any other mobile GPS options that would work better (I don't fish, so none of the fish finder stuff is important)?

On 10/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, bloodiestcadaver said:

Regarding powell. there are plenty of "offline map apps" to use. I believe they can track your position via sat.

But honestly its easy to use the main channel bouys markers and a map they give you at the pay station. 

Thanks!

I've just heard horror stories of boats hitting rocks while towing and I know the water levels are pretty depressed. I really don't want to spend the money for a subscription I use 5 days out of the year, so  I'm sure it'll be fine.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, Bowkill1 said:

I downloaded the free 10 day trial for a Powell trip and loved it. Handy if you get stuck out after dark. You can map out waypoints and it will give you fuel required if you enter your fuel burn at a certain cruise speed.

So..

Between the three separate app store accounts in my family, I should be covered for three years.... 🤪 

On 10/15/2020 at 4:48 PM, Guppydriver said:

Thanks!

I've just heard horror stories of boats hitting rocks while towing and I know the water levels are pretty depressed. I really don't want to spend the money for a subscription I use 5 days out of the year, so  I'm sure it'll be fine.

Happens ALL the time.  But I don't see how the app will help more then visual. you can do the math and study the levels based on the app. But in the end just be mindful of where you been. Establish a good "tow" path that you know is safe. The water is not very clear but you can easily see shallow spots before you hit them. Some are danger bouyed, some are not. Best advise Ive have gotten is polarized glasses. and stay in the channel markers when ever possible. I just came back from there again this weekend and it was very low! I heard from 3 people at the wahweep slips that they hit rocks in the one day.