Ugh..I'm second guessing my F/22A purchase (Instead of a 23A)

Guppydriver

First off, no matter what I'm stoked. I knew no matter what we got, it would seem like a beast compared to the 19 foot starter bowrider we have had for the last five years. I never imagined being fortunate enough to have the opportunity to buy a MB. I've been lusting after them for years and when my journey started it was the usual suspects (Axis..Moomba..Supreme..NXT). When TBS found out I was looking, they really worked hard to earn my business, and I couldn't believe we found a way to have a F22/A fall into the tail end of my budget. (we actually had to make a $1500 dollar exception, but we felt good. 

Now I've been over the moon the last two weeks soaking up info and advice from everywhere, but the other day I watched CJacksonLASD'd you tube on his comparison between the two (he bought the 23'). Really enjoyed it. Here is his video:

And then my second guessing started. Am I an idiot? Did I make a mistake? Was it a no brainer to get the B53/A considering it's only 4-5K more. That's only $30ish bucks a month. That's a few Starbucks? Some of the pros and cons Cjackson goes over:

Tomcat Pros- a. More maneuverable b. Lighter..Less drag..c. .Pickle Fork look (subjective) c. 5K cheaper d. A bit taller in the rear (although I've never measured one). Smaller so less drag on the water (more power available).

Tomcat Cons- a. No Bow storage whatsoever (the horseshoe bag occupies all of it) b. Much smaller bow area step off, which could make it harder to embark/debark from the front. CJackson said that on his demo the bow bag was actually levitating the seats, which is concerning for me. Slightly less impressive wave. Less seating and storage due to the simple fact that's about 8 inches shorter in interior room compared to the B52.

Are there other pros and cons I'm missing that you have thought of?

The people space isn't even the big concern. We only have more than 10 people on the boat a few times a year. It's the storage we lose in the bow that concerns me. We want to go to Lake Powell yearly and worry there just won't be room for the things we need to bring. . Now 70 percent of our boating consists of afternoons at the lake a half hour away so storage isn't an issue. But it's the other times I worry about. The few and far between ones like long trips to Bear Lake or LP. 

I guess it would be hard to spend so much money (for me) and constantly wish it was bigger.. It's a dilemma though, because that high freeboard on the TC gives it such presence, It's a "big" 22 and I really like the looks of the 22 better. 

Now don't get my wrong, not second guessing MB at all. Remember, we came within one hour on October 6 of buying a Moomba Mojo....but we were drawn to TBS one last time. Wife and I promised each other not to go over our budget, went past our budget by $1160 bucks, but wife fell for the SF green. So like I said. 4-5k doesn't seem like a lot to many of you guys, but you have to draw the line somewhere. If it wasn't for the damn bag that takes up the bowspace, I wouldn't think twice about it. My heart says stick with the F22/A, but my mind says do anything to find a way to afford the B53 in case you need the space. 

This is driving me crazy, and I was wondering what advice or perspectives you can offer me as I try to decide if I should just stick with th 22' or go back and figure out some cuts which would enable me to get a B52/A. I think I probably just have too much time to kill before delivery and am stressing about nothing, but wondering what you guys think and if there are any F22/A owners (on order) who kind of went through the same thought process. 

2 hours ago, jtryon said:

link here: https://www.youtube.com/embed/C0sivKbzmOc

idk how much of that video i'd take as gospel...the dude sounds like a robot lol

Lol. He a regular guy on here that doesn’t like his voice so he used the auto whatever voice module. 

As for your trips, it’s funny that when we go on our week long vacation at Lake Shasta, we carry less on the boat than our local day trips. Since the boat is in a slip and we are staying right next to the lake we only take out what we are planning to use on that run. On day trips that we drive to the lake we don’t want to forget anything and we load for bear. 

I don’t think 8” inside the boat is a deal breaker unless you are trying to fit one more really skinny friend. The bow step off isn’t that much smaller to step on with the new Alpha. My only concern would be the bow storage difference. We keep our anchor, rope, buoy, throwable cushion and extra orange vests to keep popo happy if we have a large crew, stored in the bow.  

Everybody uses their boats in different ways. Your problem right now is overthinking things and second guessing yourself.  Go with your gut and then stop looking at other boats. You can make anything work or you could go ahead and say budget be damned I’m getting a G25.  You won’t be disappointed with the 22 or 23 alpha. Just pick and commit!

15 minutes ago, Hyperryd said:

Lol. He a regular guy on here that doesn’t like his voice so he used the auto whatever voice module. 

As for your trips, it’s funny that when we go on our week long vacation at Lake Shasta, we carry less on the boat than our local day trips. Since the boat is in a slip and we are staying right next to the lake we only take out what we are planning to use on that run. On day trips that we drive to the lake we don’t want to forget anything and we load for bear. 

I don’t think 8” inside the boat is a deal breaker unless you are trying to fit one more really skinny friend. The bow step off isn’t that much smaller to step on with the new Alpha. My only concern would be the bow storage difference. We keep our anchor, rope, buoy, throwable cushion and extra orange vests to keep popo happy if we have a large crew, stored in the bow.  

Everybody uses their boats in different ways. Your problem right now is overthinking things and second guessing yourself.  Go with your gut and then stop looking at other boats. You can make anything work or you could go ahead and say budget be damned I’m getting a G25.  You won’t be disappointed with the 22 or 23 alpha. Just pick and commit!

Thanks Hyper..

Yeah, you're  probably right. By the way, I know he had a great buying experience!

Truth be told, I don't even know if I could change my order if I wanted to. I have a April delivery, so probably. I've also heard the regular wave on the F22/A is almost indistinguishable from the B52/A, so maybe the extra money doesn't buy me a better wave like I had previously thought.

You say..."Go with your gut and stop looking at boats"????

What am I supposed to do for the the next six months...lol? That's like asking a 16 year old boy to stop looking at girls.! ;) 

Just don't want to make the wrong choice when the difference is only 4-5K....either way...The MB is ordered and I plan on staying part of the MB family for a long time!

I was in the same "boat" as you....and if I was you I would go back to TBS and see if you could get the 23A....

Here's why, you are already second guessing your decision and most likely will the entire life of the boat. How long are you planning on owning the boat? Like you said it's only 30 dollars more each month. For the price of these boats and commitment you are making you might as well get exactly what you want especially if you are planning on keeping it 5+ years or more. When I traded in my 2007 Tige I knew I wanted the 23 foot B52, I almost ended up with a 22 foot ATX because it was about 10k less, and boy am I glad I didn't, every time I see one I can't believe I even considered it. When I see my boat I just stop, smile and admire it every damn time and I have no regrets!

3 years ago I was looking to buy a new truck and got talked into a RAM EcoDiesel instead of going with the Cummins that I had my heart set on. I drove the truck for 3 years and never really loved it and every time I saw a Cummins blow by me pulling a boat on I-15 I regretted my decision. So what did I do this year, traded in the EcoDiesel and bought a Cummins which cost me thousands of dollars in the end because of the loss in value and the fact that new truck prices kept increasing every year. I have my Cummins now and it's the same as my boat, it makes me smile everyday and I wish I would have just followed my gut initially.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the F22/A and think it's a beautiful boat, but if your heart is set on the 23/A you are always going to continue to second guess your decision...and if you get to the point in 2-3 years where you want the 23/A it's going to cost you more in the long run...just my 2 cents!

Personally, I think the F22A looks a LOT better than the B52A.  That's just one man's opinion.  Regarding bow storage, to be clear is there no storage when the ballast is empty or only when it is full?  If only when the ballast is full and if your concern involves a time when you may have others with you anyway, just put people up front and don't fill the bow ballast. We have a "classic" (lol) F22 and honestly very rarely access the storage space under the bow seats.  Between what we can put under the other seats and in the lockers, I just don't feel the need. I'm not sure I get the concern regardng boarding or exiting over the bow.  Not an issue at all on our F22 once I put some Gator on the front.

Also, I'd encourage you to not fall for the "it's just another $30 a month" bit.  There's no end to that line of reasoning.  $5K is significant money and could likely pay for several summers worth of gas for the boat!  

Oh yeah, and the F22 is gorgeous.

4 hours ago, OrangeTJ said:

Personally, I think the F22A looks a LOT better than the B52A.  That's just one man's opinion.  Regarding bow storage, to be clear is there no storage when the ballast is empty or only when it is full?  If only when the ballast is full and if your concern involves a time when you may have others with you anyway, just put people up front and don't fill the bow ballast. We have a "classic" (lol) F22 and honestly very rarely access the storage space under the bow seats.  Between what we can put under the other seats and in the lockers, I just don't feel the need. I'm not sure I get the concern regardng boarding or exiting over the bow.  Not an issue at all on our F22 once I put some Gator on the front.

Also, I'd encourage you to not fall for the "it's just another $30 a month" bit.  There's no end to that line of reasoning.  $5K is significant money and could likely pay for several summers worth of gas for the boat!  

Oh yeah, and the F22 is gorgeous.

Like you orange, I think the F22 is an absolutely gorgeous boat, I prefer it to the B52 looks wise...in the front and the back. 

And yes the bow space is gone only when the bags are full. As a matter of fact, I've heard twice now that if you top off the bags completely the front seats start to lift up. (not that you couldn't just empty a few pounds from them to stop, but still).

The front bow thing also doesn't really concern me, just something brought up by another buyer in the video so I thought I'd mention it.  

There are no doubt pros to the F22/A as well, I think I'm just worried about lack of storage more than anything, being that F22 has less side locker space and no bow storage (when bag is full as you noted).

9 hours ago, schill38 said:

I was in the same "boat" as you....and if I was you I would go back to TBS and see if you could get the 23A....

Here's why, you are already second guessing your decision and most likely will the entire life of the boat. How long are you planning on owning the boat? Like you said it's only 30 dollars more each month. For the price of these boats and commitment you are making you might as well get exactly what you want especially if you are planning on keeping it 5+ years or more. When I traded in my 2007 Tige I knew I wanted the 23 foot B52, I almost ended up with a 22 foot ATX because it was about 10k less, and boy am I glad I didn't, every time I see one I can't believe I even considered it. When I see my boat I just stop, smile and admire it every damn time and I have no regrets!

3 years ago I was looking to buy a new truck and got talked into a RAM EcoDiesel instead of going with the Cummins that I had my heart set on. I drove the truck for 3 years and never really loved it and every time I saw a Cummins blow by me pulling a boat on I-15 I regretted my decision. So what did I do this year, traded in the EcoDiesel and bought a Cummins which cost me thousands of dollars in the end because of the loss in value and the fact that new truck prices kept increasing every year. I have my Cummins now and it's the same as my boat, it makes me smile everyday and I wish I would have just followed my gut initially.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the F22/A and think it's a beautiful boat, but if your heart is set on the 23/A you are always going to continue to second guess your decision...and if you get to the point in 2-3 years where you want the 23/A it's going to cost you more in the long run...just my 2 cents!

Man Schill, I really appreciate the post. There have also been many times in my life where I didn't go with my gut and it ended costing more than if I would have just gone with what I wanted to begin with, so I feel ya.

This however, is a little different. In your example(s), you KNEW what you wanted without reservation. I don't necessarily. I can't really say I have or had my heart set on the B52/A, I just had my heart set on a MB (over a Axis or Moomba). In some ways, I actually prefer the F22/A. It's only after the fact when I started to wonder if the 23' would be the more prudent decision based on a (relatively) small cost delta. I think the whole "Nobody wishes they had a smaller boat" and "Bigger is better" is what got the cogs turning. The only thing for me was storage.....There isn't a ton in the F22/A because you have shorter side lockers and the horseshoe bag takes up the entire bow. Plus, I can, with some frequency, see myself having 8-10 people on the boat, and I'm sure that foot would make a little difference.

So that's why I solicited advice...I like hearing from real world owners as opposed to sales teams. No doubt there are opportunity costs regardless of which way I  go. One thing I will say about the F22/A is that I will prefer it's looks/presence on the water and the cheaper payment 100% of the time I'm on the boat, while I will utilize the size and storage benefits of the B52/A about 10-20% percent of the time I'm using the boat. Since this is my first expensive surf boat, it's kind of hard to know exactly what I do need vs. want, but I do know that either will be a massive upgrade to what I'm used to. 

Hell, it might be moot anyway. For all I know I can't change the model of what I ordered. A part of me hopes I can't..LOL

Thanks for sharing your advice regardless, it's a great perspective to be reminded of, and I'll take it to heart.

6 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

Man Schill, I really appreciate the post. There have also been many times in my life where I didn't go with my gut and it ended costing more than if I would have just gone with what I wanted to begin with, so I feel ya.

This however, is a little different. In your example(s), you KNEW what you wanted without reservation. I don't necessarily. I can't really say I have or had my heart set on the B52/A, I just had my heart set on a MB (over a Axis or Moomba). In some ways, I actually prefer the F22/A. It's only after the fact when I started to wonder if the 23' would be the more prudent decision based on a (relatively) small cost delta. I think the whole "Nobody wishes they had a smaller boat" and "Bigger is better" is what got the cogs turning. The only thing for me was storage.....There isn't a ton in the F22/A because you have shorter side lockers and the horseshoe bag takes up the entire bow. Plus, I can, with some frequency, see myself having 8-10 people on the boat, and I'm sure that foot would make a little difference.

So that's why I solicited advice...I like hearing from real world owners as opposed to sales teams. No doubt there are opportunity costs regardless of which way I  go. One thing I will say about the F22/A is that I will prefer it's looks/presence on the water and the cheaper payment 100% of the time I'm on the boat, while I will utilize the size and storage benefits of the B52/A about 10-20% percent of the time I'm using the boat. Since this is my first expensive surf boat, it's kind of hard to know exactly what I do need vs. want, but I do know that either will be a massive upgrade to what I'm used to. 

Hell, it might be moot anyway. For all I know I can't change the model of what I ordered. A part of me hopes I can't..LOL

Thanks for sharing your advice regardless, it's a great perspective to be reminded of, and I'll take it to heart.

Happy to share....one thing you mentioned that I failed to initially pick up on is that you didn't have your heart set on the B52 23/A, if that's the case stick with your purchase! I did have my heart set on the B52 from the start. And as for storage in the bow you are absolutely going to be fine, I have bow storage and have never even used it! Usually we are a crew of 8-10 if we are running up to Deer Creek and this usually includes 4-6 high maintenance single girls haha bringing wayyyyyy too much crap on the boat and we always have room to store most of it (and not using the bow storage) or sure some bags and coolers will sit on the seats or floors but no big deal. We went to Powell 3 times this year and most of the time there everyone leaves their stuff on the houseboat and just jumps in the boat with a towel and some snacks and storage isn't even needed.

And I'm with @OrangeTJon this one, the F22/A is hands down better looking than the B52/A....if I was going to buy the B52 new this year I would just stick with the classic!

16 hours ago, OrangeTJ said:

Interesting thought.....maybe consider a B52 classic instead of the B52A. That shifts my opinion toward the B52, if I'm spending your money, lol.  

I totally agree, I would go for a 2021 23 B52 classic over the 2021 F22/A...

9 minutes ago, oboyskibum said:

I would have to disagree on the the classic, Alpha all the way! The Alpha's have the new look, more freeboard, better walk-thru and much more.

I love the interior of the Alpha but can't just bring myself to love the outside lines...I really want too and am trying to convince myself, I saw an all black one posted on FB that was the first time that I found myself thinking OK I like this..

The grass is always greener or at least keeps you guessing that it is. I have a B52 23 Classic on order for April delivery. After ordering I kept looking at Centurions and Supra's and had to stop. I know I will be happy with my decision and just need to quit second guessing it. 

The classic was what I wanted for years.....

I was offered a great deal on a few of them...(wanted MXVET's actual boat believe it or not), but when my wife sat in one, she actually gave me the thumbs dumb. She's cool, but a little paranoid of water and said she didn't feel like she was "in the boat" on a "classic" (have I mentioned how hate that term) compared to other brands we looked at.  Needless to say, I was giggly when the Alphas came out and she had no such objection.

Here's the other thing......

Wave is very important....If I knew the b52 had a much better wave, that could also sway me. TBS said I could change if I wanted. From the one F22/A TBS Insta video I have seen, it looks good, but there's just no F22/A's out there to gather empirical data..

I know the Don has seen the wave (in shallow water), but not many others. I'm no expert surfer, but if my extra coin gets me a little extra space AND a much better wave, then Hmmmmm...

Honestly, while I prefer the F22 it seems pretty obvious that what you really want is the B52.  If buying it doesn't present a financial strain, I'd say just make the switch.  I suspect that otherwise you are going to end up wondering "what if" every time you are out on the F22.  Then in a couple of years you'll give in and buy the B52 and spend waaay more money.  Buy once cry once.

3 hours ago, OrangeTJ said:

Honestly, while I prefer the F22 it seems pretty obvious that what you really want is the B52.  If buying it doesn't present a financial strain, I'd say just make the switch.  I suspect that otherwise you are going to end up wondering "what if" every time you are out on the F22.  Then in a couple of years you'll give in and buy the B52 and spend waaay more money.  Buy once cry once.

I'm sure I sound that way, but I honestly see pros and cons. I think I'm just fearful that the wave will be substantially better and we will have no storage. I can honestly say that I think the F22 is a better looking boat, like one of the best looking boats in the front and back on the water at any price.  I guess I started this thread because I was wondering if the B52 was the "smarter" buy on paper. 

I called my dealer and they should have two F22/A's there in a week or so that I can compare space wise right next to the B52 on the showroom floor. I just worry about sh!t too much. Seriously, If I had ordered a B52/A this thread would probably be titled "Ugh...I'm second guessing my B52/A purchase"....

On 10/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, schill38 said:

Usually we are a crew of 8-10 if we are running up to Deer Creek and this usually includes 4-6 high maintenance single girls haha

So are these daughters/ sisters or do you just have unparalleled game?😁🤣

8 hours ago, Guppydriver said:

I'm sure I sound that way, but I honestly see pros and cons. I think I'm just fearful that the wave will be substantially better and we will have no storage. I can honestly say that I think the F22 is a better looking boat, like one of the best looking boats in the front and back on the water at any price.  I guess I started this thread because I was wondering if the B52 was the "smarter" buy on paper. 

I called my dealer and they should have two F22/A's there in a week or so that I can compare space wise right next to the B52 on the showroom floor. I just worry about sh!t too much. Seriously, If I had ordered a B52/A this thread would probably be titled "Ugh...I'm second guessing my B52/A purchase"....

I highly doubt there will be very significant wave differences between the boats once both are set up well.  I just watched a video on the FB group showing a goofy wave behind a new F22A.  It was very impressive.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:42 AM, SeattleBob said:

The grass is always greener or at least keeps you guessing that it is. I have a B52 23 Classic on order for April delivery. After ordering I kept looking at Centurions and Supra's and had to stop. I know I will be happy with my decision and just need to quit second guessing it. 

You are absolutely insane for not getting a Centurion if you can swing it compared to a 23!!!!! I would go look at them again if I were you!!

I KEED , I KEED .... 🤣