Ugh..I'm second guessing my F/22A purchase (Instead of a 23A)

Made the switch. I like the fact that I know there won't be any second guessing. I'm sure I would have loved the 22', but this one just feels right. Same build and colors. At the end of the day I've been waiting 25 years to have my "dream boat", so eff it. My family could tell I was still a bit torn over it and that was they simply said..."Get the one that feels right, you should be nothing but excited after having looked for this opportunity for so long". 

The clincher was my 14 year old son. He has a Kawasaki KLX 140L that he has long outgrown, it was a christmas present a few years ago. He took the initiative to put it on KSL (Utah's craigslist) and when he sold it, he gave me envelope with half of the proceeds and said it was about time you got something you wanted Dad" I'm old school man, but let's just say my allergies started acting up to see that gesture (it wasn't much, but still)

Anyway, Jason and Mike at TBS were super cool (as always) and made sure I just paid pretty much their cost difference between the two boats. I can't say enough about how cool they have been.  So now I can turn my indecisiveness towards boards and gear...lol. I've already ordered 3 wetsuits, a tube on prime day (don't judge), and will be looking forward to adding some "let's tie up" balls, lead, and boat cleaning products this black friday.

On another note, the Moomba Mojo I almost bought (sight unseen...it's brand new) was finally released. They hit it out of the park. I think it's very competitive in the red hot 23' segment. Now that I've "seen" it, I don't have one ounce of regret though for paying a small premium for the MB. 

• 2 months later...

Good discussion... appreciate the insight on this thread. I’m coming from Moomba and am in between the B52 and F22... just want to really see some good videos. I have only seen the B52 so far. 

I honestly think it come down to styling preference and bow storage. Pickle or traditional. They are both big, deep boats that have about the same size feel. The 22' actually has a bit more freeboard. Pick which one calls to you styling wise and never look back.

Says me,  the guy who looked back...

My Moomba did not have bow storage, and I’m used to the picklefork... so the freeboard is a priority... but wave takes the cake. I know everyone keeps saying ‘99%’... but if anyone has pics or video, post em up!  Thanks

1 hour ago, jph3 said:

My Moomba did not have bow storage, and I’m used to the picklefork... so the freeboard is a priority... but wave takes the cake. I know everyone keeps saying ‘99%’... but if anyone has pics or video, post em up!  Thanks

Boat Shack Instagram is the the only place I know of that has decent wave footage of the F22/A.... 

9 hours ago, Smokey said:

If you can swing it, I would go 23;  better wave, better ride, better storage...

Although I agree, there are some bennies to the F/22

I've heard it's as or more heavy than a 23'. It's definitely meaty. The MB website isn't the best source of accurate information. Also...storage. No doubt the 23' has the bow storage, but the F22 appears to have more side locker storage because it uses much smaller sacks than the 22'. The 22' has 2800 lbs of hard tank ballast while the 23' has 2000 lbs. I didn't spend much time crawling through the 22' but I don't remember the fat sacks impeding into the side lockers like on the 23'. 

Another tidbit. The 23' also gives you the swim step standard (it will be itemized but you can't remove it), while it's $1650 list on the 22'. The 23' should be had for less than 5k surcharge compared to the 22'.  If you find value in the swimstep, that's really about a 3.5 difference  between the two. 

I think it really comes down to looks. I like how @oboyskiboy called it a known wave on the 23' as opposed to a better wave. Not a lot of anecdotal evidence out yet. They are both bad a boats...

Smaller crew and love the aggressive look of the pickle? Go with the 22' and enjoy your 3-5k gas card.

Larger crew, like traditional bow, and feel like you may need the bow space on occasion? Get the 23'

Bottom line... (I know it's easy for us to spend your money)....with current boat prices what they are, a 3-5k delta in price is peanuts in today's market.

I’m more leaning toward the boat I would keep for 5-7 years. Sounds like I need to look around at the 23. We were supposed to pick up a 2018 G23 up until a couple weeks ago, and I was geared up for the extra storage and space. 

thx for the feedback, appreciated. If anyone finds video, I still would be interested! 

One thing I don't really care for about "wave videos" is that they represent one setup on one particular day.  Also, not all waves that look "equal" feel "equal".  For that matter, sometimes waves that look better feel worse.  Not saying that is the case between the 22 and the 23 but it is surely the case between other boats.

I've seen some wave videos and pics from other people's F-22s (non alpha) that look very very diferent than the wave we make behind our own F22.  There's really no substitute for a thorough demo and even then, you won't see the best wave the boat can produce.  It took us a couple of seasons to really figure out the wave behind our 2016 but now I find it to be a more fun wave to ride than what I've ridden behind any other boat (which is a limited sample, I'll admit).  

Any of these boats can produce a wave that will not limit your surfing in any way.

The above being the case, at least in my opinion, the best way to decide between these boats is to figure out your own priorities on style, storage, features and size (which can be a factor in both directions depending on how you plan to store the boat).

On 1/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, OrangeTJ said:

Any of these boats can produce a wave that will not limit your surfing in any way.

The above being the case, at least in my opinion, the best way to decide between these boats is to figure out your own priorities on style, storage, features and size (which can be a factor in both directions depending on how you plan to store the boat).

TRUTH!  So many people chase the biggest wave on the market yet barely carve while surfing. Both the 22 and the 23 will put up a great wave that you can easily throw down any surf move, if you have the drive and talent. A $300k Paragon can’t guarantee you will ever land a 360. Just like a $3k set of golf clubs can’t guarantee you a hole in one. Pros can land half of their moves behind a Bayliner.  Pick the boat that best suits your needs, style and budget, then enjoy your boat and don’t look back!

For me I will chase the biggest wave for the money. For me a better wave is more fun to surf and allows me to progress faster. Just like a bigger mountain is more fun to ski or snowboard, and nicer golf course is more fun to play. The best skis won't make me a world cup ski racer or the best surfboard wont make me a pro surfer but they will take me to the next level faster if I put in the work. I agree pick a boat that suits your needs, figure out how to make the best wave possible, and then have fun.

I was having this very same dilemma, I have since ordered my 22/A and after reading all of this I couldn’t be happier. 

That being said, I use to store my anchor under the center bow cushion on my old 2018 F21, which didn’t have any extra ballast in the bow except for lead. Where are you guys storing your anchor with the horseshoe bag in the bow? I didn’t think about this being an issue until reading this post. 

I stored mine up front just in front of the driver on my old F22 with a bag up front, I just always put a life jacket over it to keep my bag from getting messed up by the anchor. It did reduced how full it got on the driver side. That's one of the reasons I decided on the B52 A vs the F22 A, I didn't want to mess with the bag up front.

6 hours ago, norcal1 said:

I was having this very same dilemma, I have since ordered my 22/A and after reading all of this I couldn’t be happier. 

That being said, I use to store my anchor under the center bow cushion on my old 2018 F21, which didn’t have any extra ballast in the bow except for lead. Where are you guys storing your anchor with the horseshoe bag in the bow? I didn’t think about this being an issue until reading this post. 

That 22 Tomcat is thick as hell norcal. You're going to be very comfortable in that boat with that tall freeboard and you will slice through heavy seas like butter. All this plus a meaty,choice wave. Can't wait for the boats to start rolling in. I better see a crap load of pics and smiling kids!!

The layout may be different on the Alpha than my non-Alpha, but we store our box anchor in a rubbermaid tub under the observer seat.  Only things stored under the bow cushions of ours are leadwakes bags and extra pfds.

• 4 weeks later...

Late to convo here Gup but great call! You will not regret it! I bought my F22 in 17. I went in wanting a 23, but my dealer advised wave kinda sucked on the 17 23, so I went with the F22.  Awesome boat! ....I was really happy with it....but I was kept wishing I had the 23....finally made the switch!  And all positives for me.  I did love the picklefork on the F22 tho.  But now that wave is dialed on the 23, it’s a no brainer not lookin back for me man! Excited to see pics when it comes in!

On 2/17/2021 at 11:09 PM, hawkdad22 said:

Late to convo here Gup but great call! You will not regret it! I bought my F22 in 17. I went in wanting a 23, but my dealer advised wave kinda sucked on the 17 23, so I went with the F22.  Awesome boat! ....I was really happy with it....but I was kept wishing I had the 23....finally made the switch!  And all positives for me.  I did love the picklefork on the F22 tho.  But now that wave is dialed on the 23, it’s a no brainer not lookin back for me man! Excited to see pics when it comes in!

Thanks so much!!  I'm so excited.

What's really cool is that I have figured out the solution to those who think "Life goes by too fast"...

Just order a boat every year....it's the key to eternal life.... months last forever..