Best Beginner Board for tweens??

I have read plenty on best boards for younger kids...(Scamp, Gromcast, etc...) which typically have a max weight rating of about 110 pounds. 

My youngests will be 15 (~110 pounds M) and 12 (~85 pounds F) come next season and have never surfed before, so they will both be close to the limit for sub 4 foot boards and both are growing like weeds. 

I'm about 200 pounds, so we will obviously need different boards. Do I bite the bullet and buy one of the kids boards  or is their another board (and size) that anyone here would recommend for beginners that are right between being "littles" and older teens?? Hoping to not have to buy them seperate boards, but if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do.

We have a liquid Force Grommi that is a boat favorite. Oour kids (70-80lbs) and the smaller adults (110-150) all ride it and have a blast.

For you I'd recommend the Hyperlite Shim. Its a good all around board that you can learn on and grow in to and if you buy in the offseason you can probably score one for less that $400.

1 hour ago, Mikewoods said:

We have a liquid Force Grommi that is a boat favorite. Oour kids (70-80lbs) and the smaller adults (110-150) all ride it and have a blast.

For you I'd recommend the Hyperlite Shim. Its a good all around board that you can learn on and grow in to and if you buy in the offseason you can probably score one for less that $400.

Thanks Mike....!

I'll check out the Shim. Ill have my eye out for good deals this black friday/cyber monday. 

Just do be clear, I'm not looking for one board for the whole boat (especially with my fat 200lb butt). I plan on having 3-5 boards by my delivery date, I'm just hoping I can buy a a single board for the younger kids that gives them more than just one summer. Maybe the kids boards will be fine for a couple seasons. I'm worried a HL broadcast 4.8 would have too much oomph for my 85 pound daughter.

I'm thinking about a P5 Oogle and a HL Landlock for the adults. They seem different enough, but both beginner friendly. Anybody have experience with these?

@Guppydriver My now 15 year old daughter started out on a scamp and 2 years ago started riding an 4'6 AK Ashley Kid board before Connelly. Now she rides for Connelly.  The AK board was pricy but since we had Ashley give us a lesson behind the boat I had to buy the board( it was Pink). I would go pick up Doomswell bandwagon 4'-4 or 4'6 they are on sale now. the cardon fiber board is $350  I love the Doomswell boards amazing for the cost when you can get them on sale. The Neo is a great ride for bigger guys.

8 hours ago, oboyskibum said:

@Guppydriver My now 15 year old daughter started out on a scamp and 2 years ago started riding an 4'6 AK Ashley Kid board before Connelly. Now she rides for Connelly.  The AK board was pricy but since we had Ashley give us a lesson behind the boat I had to buy the board( it was Pink). I would go pick up Doomswell bandwagon 4'-4 or 4'6 they are on sale now. the cardon fiber board is $350  I love the Doomswell boards amazing for the cost when you can get them on sale. The Neo is a great ride for bigger guys.

I notice the Bandwagon is good up to 150 pounds, so probably will give my kids many years compared to a scamp...

Just to clarify...the bandwagon is OK for a brand new first time beginner? Might have a little too much push for my (will be) 12 year old...but seems like a steal at $350

@GuppydriverI personally haven't ridden the Bandwagon, however I have ridden other doomwell boards so I wouldn't hesitate to get one at that price. I really can't speak to how athletic your kids are. For example some kids can jump on a faster board and have no issues others I have seen need struggle no matter how slow and lethargic a board is.  Some kids can jump on a snowboard , skate board or skis and start ripping pretty fast.  Honestly the scamp was a skim style board and it looked pretty fast and loose.  I personally think that its better to get a better board that will grow with your kids, they will progress faster and not be limited by the equipment. ( I grew up ski and snowboard racing up until college, so I have always been particular about my gear)

Buy the Doomswell for you kids and get a Neo for you.  I have some extra big fins you can throw on it in the second position that will stabilize it for your kids.  The scamp is rated up to 120, so just come and borrow mine or I will sell it to you we don't use it. You will just have to take me out on the Alpha a few times.

5 hours ago, oboyskibum said:

@GuppydriverI personally haven't ridden the Bandwagon, however I have ridden other doomwell boards so I wouldn't hesitate to get one at that price. I really can't speak to how athletic your kids are. For example some kids can jump on a faster board and have no issues others I have seen need struggle no matter how slow and lethargic a board is.  Some kids can jump on a snowboard , skate board or skis and start ripping pretty fast.  Honestly the scamp was a skim style board and it looked pretty fast and loose.  I personally think that its better to get a better board that will grow with your kids, they will progress faster and not be limited by the equipment. ( I grew up ski and snowboard racing up until college, so I have always been particular about my gear)

Buy the Doomswell for you kids and get a Neo for you.  I have some extra big fins you can throw on it in the second position that will stabilize it for your kids.  The scamp is rated up to 120, so just come and borrow mine or I will sell it to you we don't use it. You will just have to take me out on the Alpha a few times.

Orrian,

My boat is always open for visitors! Just got off the phone with Brock at Doomswell. Super cool dude!!

I may be interested in that Scamp of yours if it's in good shape. DM a price when you have som free time.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice snag, those look sweet.

2 hours ago, Hyperryd said:

I snagged one of those carbon Bandwagons for my 16 yr old daughter last week. Great buy!

I am a big believer in riding the best equipment. My 15 year old daughter Rides an AK board from Erie Surf and her riding is progressing much faster than if she was riding something more intermediate level vs  custom pro board. Chris Walter pro rider and owner of Zombie Surf just posted about how his boards are for beginners to Pro level - Same board.