Engine Issue 2018 B52

I have a 2018 B52.  Has anyone had issues with their catalytic converter?  I think mine caused a catastrophic engine failure.  I had o2 sensor issues much of the time last summer.  I replaced a set. And for a while it made the error code and alarm stop.  This is the third set of o2 sensors in a 2018 boat. 

Now I am facing at the very least a rebuilding the motor.  Theres unusally low compression in cylinder #3.  The new Dealership in Rocklin wanted $23k for a new long block.  I told them they were crazy.  BTW, Indmar gives a 1 year parts only warranty for the 17k motor....the labor is 6k...plus tax.  

Not that I am looking at all of the gauges every minute the boat ran last summer.  I never had an oil pressure or water temp issue.   The only warning I ever got was the LED light and the cheezy buzzer, which at the time I figured it was a n oxygem sensor warning.

I have a friend with a shop in Modesto willing to rebuild the motor.  Does anyone have advise regarding the catalytic converter theory and a good, clean mechanic to do the labor?  

I’m by no means a mechanic but here’s my thoughts. Its possible your catalytic converter was so overly clogged that it could cause an undue amount of back pressure. I would think you notice this though because the boat would have been very sluggish and you’d burn a lot more fuel. 

Its also possible you have a burned valve, which would explain low compression in that cylinder.  If unburned fuel leaks past the valve then that unburned fuel could damage the catalytic convertor.  

And finally, how was it determined that you need an entire engine rebuild and not just the head rebuilt?!

3 hours ago, The Donfather said:

He is not original owner and also did not transfer warranty.

I also think it is something else than cat convertor causing the problem.

Could he transfer the warranty now? I wish boats worked the same as the auto industry. Transfer should be automatic. 

I am not sure what the process is but they make it sound easy. quote from Indmar website Indmar’s 5-Year Factory Warranty is administered directly through Indmar Products, Inc. and is fully transferable. There are no third parties or insurance involvement. The Raptor Series is an exclusive line-up that defies every challenge, especially the test of time

4 hours ago, oboyskibum said:

I am not sure what the process is but they make it sound easy. quote from Indmar website Indmar’s 5-Year Factory Warranty is administered directly through Indmar Products, Inc. and is fully transferable. There are no third parties or insurance involvement. The Raptor Series is an exclusive line-up that defies every challenge, especially the test of time

That sounds promising. You may need to inquire directly with Indmar@Matt Labriola

Thanks for all the posts.  I am the second owner.  When I arrived at the local dealer to tranfer the warranty,  I was told by one of the salesman that anything that was going ro go wrong with the boat usually happens in the first 50 hours.  Since my boat had a 100 hours, he suggested not buying the warranty.  

None of that matters now.  I had the motor checked out by the new dealership in Rocklin.  #3 piston is coming aprat and has scored the sleve.  

I disagree with anyone who thinks that Raptors motors are bullet proof.  I had minor fat sack leak that may have somehow caused an issue with the cats and the 02 sensors.  I here that later cats from newer motors dont have as many issues. 

This is my second MB the first had a PCM motor.  Although it had a few less horsepower, it proved to be far more reliable than the raptor motor.  Indmar can go suck it.  They didnt help one bit in the process.  The next boat will be equipped non Raptor motor and will probably not have an MB badge either.