Night surfing

AZ_MB

The headlight post brings up a question I've been wondering about. Is night surfing permissible on many lakes? I was pulled over once on my local lake for wakeboarding at sunset and told that towing a skier after sunset was not legal. Technically surfing isn't towing so maybe it's permissible? Or maybe that's just a restriction of my local lake? I see several night surfing pics on IG and have wondered if it is allowed on many lakes or not.  

I have only done it once and my friends had some serious lights and it was almost a full moon. I am not sure I would make a habit of it. We should have had glow sticks on the rider and a waterproof flashlight. I probably wouldn't do it without the moon light, because it gives you just enough light to see the shore.

6 hours ago, AZ_MB said:

The headlight post brings up a question I've been wondering about. Is night surfing permissible on many lakes? I was pulled over once on my local lake for wakeboarding at sunset and told that towing a skier after sunset was not legal. Technically surfing isn't towing so maybe it's permissible? Or maybe that's just a restriction of my local lake? I see several night surfing pics on IG and have wondered if it is allowed on many lakes or not.  

While you are technically correct, a surfer is not always being towed, most lake enforcement will consider it the same as skiing or boarding, and be a violation. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did it at Bear Lake once and it was one of the cooler things I've done.  Completely illegal, but on a buddy's boat and nobody else was out.  

It was on a 19 B52 and that thing had great lights...a very memorable experience for me and my kids...and the reason we got hooked on surfing!

Not sure I'll chance it on mine, but it was fun!

I just added a post about the tower on my 2016 B52......I am going to be installing the light bar I had on my previous boat (2011 Tomcat).   I am hopeful that with the forward sweeping tower that the light wont flood the bow like it did on my 2011.

Here is a pic I found of my old boat with light bar......I still giggle every time I see it

post-1079-0-88979500-1400022819.jpg

On 3/17/2021 at 12:02 AM, Hyperryd said:

It is illegal here in California too. Just curious though, how many of your local lakes have patrols out after dark. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one around here. 

I have NEVER seen any patrols after dark on our lake...in fact, I have only been stopped once in my life and the only reason I think they stopped us is because I had 10 bikini wearing passengers and they wanted to "take a look" haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 4:14 PM, oboyskibum said:

I have only done it once and my friends had some serious lights and it was almost a full moon. I am not sure I would make a habit of it. We should have had glow sticks on the rider and a waterproof flashlight. I probably wouldn't do it without the moon light, because it gives you just enough light to see the shore.

+1 for glow sticks.  We buy a bunch of glow sticks from the dollar store and keep them in the glove box. Glow sticks work better than I thought they would.  I'm working on a way to temporarily mount a waterproof LED light on the surf board.  One time we had a little trouble finding a board that got away from a fallen rider.

• 1 month later...