Hello out there!

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I'm a newbee here and in general to ski boats.  I purchased an 04 B52 (black and white) w/ 330 PCM, Triple up, two-speed,  and also an upgraded stereo.  It's in really, really nice shape with almost no dings or scratches.  I live near Huntsville AL.

I'm debating on hauling it up to my local marina to have a prop shaft alignment check done.  My first trip out it seems to have a small vibration over 3K RPMs (Maybe OCD, but would better be safe than sorry).  I have good mechanical aptitude and am comfortable w/ most mechanic work.  I understand how this procedure works, but having never fooled with a V-drive setup, I'd be more comfortable setting this one out.

The lake I will be cruising has many shallow areas, and my intuition tells me this prop/shaft has probably been bumped a few too many times.  I want to be able to handle this myself in the future, Just how much of a pain is this model boat?

Any other areas to pay closer attention to?

I'm sure I'll have many more newbie questions, so thanks in Advance! 

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the 2004 club.  We have had ours for 4 years and every time we think of upgrading we think back on the hassle free time it has given us.  You will probably need to change the skeg bearings as more than likely they are the originals and that should eliminate any shaft vibration.  Whilst you are doing that you can replace the two O-ring seals in the rudder and drip less shaft seal.  All work you could do yourself if you are handy.

The only other issues we have had is our steering cable let go this past summer, so we installed hydraulic steering and re-glassed the port side ballast tank.

Enjoy

skeg bearings.jpg

Hey!

I ended up buying a new ACME Bronze prop a couple of weeks ago.  WAAAYYYY better, the old prop had some dings and it was Stainless?!?!?!  Removing it with the ACME prop puller wouldn't have been possible without a torch.  Had to heat up the hub section of the old prop, it had basically become One with the shaft lol.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2021 at 9:46 PM, garyri said:

Welcome to the 2004 club.  We have had ours for 4 years and every time we think of upgrading we think back on the hassle free time it has given us.  You will probably need to change the skeg bearings as more than likely they are the originals and that should eliminate any shaft vibration.  Whilst you are doing that you can replace the two O-ring seals in the rudder and drip less shaft seal.  All work you could do yourself if you are handy.

The only other issues we have had is our steering cable let go this past summer, so we installed hydraulic steering and re-glassed the port side ballast tank.

Enjoy

skeg bearings.jpg

Tell me more about converting to Hydraulic Steering?    My '05 has stiff steering and my brother's old Mastercraft has hydraulic steering and it is awesome.